Fender Jaguar goes out of tune

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
valenjf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender Jaguar goes out of tune

Post by valenjf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:32 pm

Hello! I have an issue with my brand new Fender Jaguar 60’s Road Worn. I got the guitar two weeks ago. And I got it checked by a luthier who adjusted the neck and re-stringed it. The strings were changed on friday. But the problem is that the guitar goes out of tune way too much. I mean, i tune it properly and all it takes is a couple of chords for it to go out of tune again. Should i keep playing it to see if the strings stretch? Could it be the bridge? It kinda worries me because i also have a Jazzmaster that i havent adjusted yet and it stays in tune perfectly, even with the strings that came from the factory.
Thank you!

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Jaguar goes out of tune

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:07 pm

Always give the strings a good stretch and re-tune. You should do this until the strings hold tune. Also, a good luthier should make sure your nut is properly filed. That is where the majority of folks have tuning issues. Until you get that sorted, anything else you do will be for not.

valenjf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by valenjf » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Fuzzbuzz wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:07 pm
Always give the strings a good stretch and re-tune. You should do this until the strings hold tune. Also, a good luthier should make sure your nut is properly filed. That is where the majority of folks have tuning issues. Until you get that sorted, anything else you do will be for not.
Yes of course, the thing is that i have taken my instruments to the same luthier for almost 18 years now. And he is a pro, i mean, a lot of well known musicians here in argentina go to his shop to get everything done so he has always been quite reliable. I have never had this issue before so i always guessed that he streched the strings and checked the nut. But today i took the jag to the band rehearsal and i could hear it going out of tune mid-song and it was really annoying. I know its been three days since i got it re stringed but i am thinking of giving him a call to ask him about it. Thanks for the reply!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Does it de-tune on all strings or just some ?

All strings ?
Check string winding technique on tuners
Stretch all new strings for 5 minutes

Just one or two strings ?
Check nut for binding (depress string behing nut; does it stay sharp ?)
Does it have a string tree (they can bind) ?
Are strings clear of the intonation screws and the front/back of bridge ?

General ...
What string gauge ? (changed recently ?)
Is the neck shimmed ?
Has it been intonated ?
Bridge height ?
12th fret action ?
1st fret (nut) action ?
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

valenjf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by valenjf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:59 am

timtam wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:04 pm
Does it de-tune on all strings or just some ?

All strings ?
Check string winding technique on tuners
Stretch all new strings for 5 minutes

Just one or two strings ?
Check nut for binding (depress string behing nut; does it stay sharp ?)
Does it have a string tree (they can bind) ?
Are strings clear of the intonation screws and the front/back of bridge ?

General ...
What string gauge ? (changed recently ?)
Is the neck shimmed ?
Has it been intonated ?
Bridge height ?
12th fret action ?
1st fret (nut) action ?
Thank you for all the advice! I had everything adjusted last week, the neck, the bridge and all that. All strings were going out of tune so i streched them for some minutes and now they stay in tune much better! Thank you very much!

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Seriously? I’m not sure how much you’re paying your guitar tech, but he might not be worth it if he can’t stretch your strings out for ya! 🤭

valenjf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by valenjf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Fuzzbuzz wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:29 pm
Seriously? I’m not sure how much you’re paying your guitar tech, but he might not be worth it if he can’t stretch your strings out for ya! 🤭
Lol i dont know how much they charge in the states, but in argentina he charges what would be 30 US dollars, including the strings. I have seen guys that charge a lot more here and are not as good as him. I mean, its the first time something like this happened. As i said before, he has adjusted my guitars for almost 18 years now. I’m guessing that he might have forgotten because he adjusted and re-stringed my strat on the same day and it is working perfectly.

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:04 pm

valenjf wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:42 pm
Fuzzbuzz wrote:
Lol i dont know how much they charge in the states, but in argentina he charges what would be 30 US dollars, including the strings. I have seen guys that charge a lot more here and are not as good as him. I mean, its the first time something like this happened. As i said before, he has adjusted my guitars for almost 18 years now. I’m guessing that he might have forgotten because he adjusted and re-stringed my strat on the same day and it is working perfectly.
Yeah I’m just foolin’.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:19 pm

For the importance of string stretching, listen to touring guitar techs ... who have to get it right and ready to go every time ...
https://youtu.be/Han3_pdBPVE?t=990

I use the string stretcha too. Seems like one of those things where you say why do I need to buy something for this, but it works well for more even stretching and saves your hands ... here tuned to pitch first ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVf-kq8QchU
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

valenjf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by valenjf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Fuzzbuzz wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:04 pm
valenjf wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:42 pm
Fuzzbuzz wrote:
Yeah I’m just foolin’.
Yeah i know lol but i am actually curious how much does it cost to adjust a guitar in the us? Guitars got very expensive in argentina due to our constant economic crises haha.
And i got worried about the jag because it is brand new i just got it two weeks ago and i want to make sure everything is fine with it.

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:13 pm

valenjf wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Yeah i know lol but i am actually curious how much does it cost to adjust a guitar in the us? Guitars got very expensive in argentina due to our constant economic crises haha.
And i got worried about the jag because it is brand new i just got it two weeks ago and i want to make sure everything is fine with it.
It’s been a while since I have had a shop do a setup. I think it’s anywhere between $60-$75? $75 was when I lived in New York City. Not sure if they are still around that price these days or not.

valenjf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by valenjf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:14 pm

timtam wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:19 pm
For the importance of string stretching, listen to touring guitar techs ... who have to get it right and ready to go every time ...
https://youtu.be/Han3_pdBPVE?t=990

I use the string stretcha too. Seems like one of those things where you say why do I need to buy something for this, but it works well for more even stretching and saves your hands ... here tuned to pitch first ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVf-kq8QchU
Those videos were great! I streched them using my hands but that string stretcher looks fantastic, i will try to get one of those. Thank you very much for the help!

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:31 am

Ditto! Been using my fingers forever and I look forward to using this!

I like my strings old and dull, so if one breaks I will just change that and leave the rest. Which means some heavy stretching!

Edit: Just ordered two for $25.