New Staytrem Day

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
monkfish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New Staytrem Day

Post by monkfish » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:11 am

I bit the bullet. I previously had an import style Mustang bridge on my JM, and after a deal of fettling, shimming, Loctite-ing and truss rod-ing I managed to eliminate the dreaded rattles. All was well, I thought, till I played a gig a couple of weeks ago. The last song has me initially playing through an acoustic simulator and requires fingerpicking. I launched into the song only to discover that the last histrionic powerchord flail had knocked the bottom E out of the saddle. I had to spend 2 full minutes trying to avoid choking the A string, longest 2 minutes of my life... Much further tweaking ensued but the strings just won't stay put when hit hard (I use 11s). So Thursday I finally gave in and ordered a Staytrem, 9.5 rocking (can always buy the sleeves separately if I decide to go non -rocking later). Spent a whole 3 minutes installing and retuning today and I have to say, it lives up to the hype. It feels solid and sturdy. I tried every possible way I could to knock the strings out of the slots but they're not going anywhere. The guitar feels more lively and is brighter acoustically, and is a db or so louder amplified (according to Logic volume meter). I've heard some people say theres no difference to sustain, others reckon there is. Interestingly, I haven't noticed much more sustain on open strings/chords but I have on fretted. I don't know if the note is actually ringing out for longer or if there's just less immediate fall-off after the attack phase but it sounds glorious. And the confidence of knowing that the strings are going to stay put next time I'm on stage is worth the price of admission alone. A very happy customer, will be installing them on all my offsets from now on, at least until I can try a Mastery...

gringopig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Staytrem Day

Post by gringopig » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:26 am

yes, I bought a Staytrem and 2 sets of tremelo arms/collets. I've not fitted the bridge yet as I've not actually had any issues yet and I bought in anticipation of issues.
One of my Jags has a slightly knocking trem and I could tweak the collet teeth but don't want to break it as it's a 1965. Electrical tape round the indent on the arm works for a while.

let me ask:
I love the 'ghost' harmonics which seem to come from the strings behind the bridge with the tremelo on sustained notes. Did you notice any difference in the tonality of the guitar after you fitted the bridge? Not as much the sustain but the tone...

monkfish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by monkfish » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:39 am

I love those sympathetic resonance harmonics too. The only difference I've noticed is that, previously, the trem arm knocking (it's loose and a bit clicky, will be next payday's upgrade..) could cause an unpleasant whine with certain amp settings: particularly bad with clean Vox type tones. That's completely gone but the ghost harmonics are still there. Tonewise it still sounds like my Jazzmaster, just a bit 'more', if that makes sense. 1965 Jag? Nice...

gringopig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gringopig » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Ah good! I was worried in case that went away. It's unique with this type of tremelo!

This is the one with the slightly loose arm...

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Lovely Jag you got there!

et me ask:
I love the 'ghost' harmonics which seem to come from the strings behind the bridge with the tremelo on sustained notes. Did you notice any difference in the tonality of the guitar after you fitted the bridge? Not as much the sustain but the tone...
I have a Staytrem on my AV1965 Reissue - it works very well - rarely goes out of tune. The only thing I noticed is tonally the original bridge actually had better behind the bridge sympathetic harmonics. Something I had noticed in the past with my failed attempts with a Mustang bridge on a 62AVRI. The Staytrem does improve sustain but in my case is a bit less 'ringy' but it's a fair tradeoff.

agiehler
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by agiehler » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:31 am

Only have experience with the Mastery, but StayTrem will be next. They look much cooler IMO. Congrats on your purchase.

Guitarmunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarmunk » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:46 am

I ordered a Staytrem(my second) for my TVL Jazzmaster last week and it arrived this monday.
For me, its a great upgrade.
I had the TVL for 2 days and then went to a studio to record a couple of songs and when I started recording, I noticed the stock bridge has sunken into the body, making the E and A strings buzz..
Then I ordered the Staytrem.
I've had a Straytrem on my CIJ Jazzmaster for years and it never causes any problems.
Fender Johnny Marr Jaguar + Fender Jazzmaster jpn + Fender Strat US + Pete Cornish P2 +TRex Møller + Pete Cornish SS2 + Boss volumepedal + Boss TR-2 + Boss FL-2 + EHX Small Clone + Boss DD-20+Boss RE-20+Strymon Bluesky+1966 Blackface Fender Bassman

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:55 am

I got one for my 64 jag and love it. Bonus: I installed it and the intonation was spot on.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:03 am

I think they're awesome. They're simply an improved take on the original (basically they're just a better Mustang bridge, which itself is already a nice improvement over the original threaded-saddle bridge) even addressing a few shortcomings from those as well. I know that other outfit has their loyal fans and supporters, but I just appreciate the cleaner, subdued and closer-to-stock look of the Staytrem...it just "fits" the guitars it usually goes on (Fender offsets) better, IMO.

Having said that, I don't mind the other model (and how it looks) on custom, non-Fender offsets (because, at that point, the bridge can look like anything if it's not paired with a more traditional-looking Jazzmaster or Jaguar). When I see that other bridge on guitars from Deimel, Bilt, Kauer, Novo, Koll, etc. it doesn't look as obnoxious and out-of-place as it always seems to on a Fender (IMO).

Go figure.

But, yeah...Staytrem is where it's at, if you're more on the traditional, purist end of the scale (I know, I know...a true "purist" would leave the shitty, PITA original bridge in place, buy stock in Loctite and wear their bridge-induced misery/frustration like a badge of honor). :P

aquietdisaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aquietdisaster » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:56 pm

After using nothing but Mastery for the past 5 years I decided to pick up a Staytrem just to try it. I also recently bought an AO Jazzmaster, which I put a Mastery on. After two weeks of struggling to get the Mastery to the right height & intonated I gave up & installed the Staytrem. Let me just say I've never had any issues with Masterys before but my new AOJM felt like it was almost "fighting" the Mastery; they just didn't mesh.

The minute I got the Staytrem set I knew this was it. It's almost a different guitar. It plays better, sounds better & intonated easily. I'm not saying one bridge is better than the other, I like them both. But what I will say is it seems some guitars prefer one over the other.

I'm still going to put a Mastery trem on it though. They're definitely better than anything else. ;D

HappyOSG
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by HappyOSG » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:20 pm

I just ordered a Staytrem as it looks like a nice design and a decent cost. Your post confirms I made the right choice.

But, now....I'm eyeing another Jaguar (classic player) so I might end up selling it all. We'll see.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:30 pm

HappyOSG wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:20 pm
I just ordered a Staytrem as it looks like a nice design and a decent cost. Your post confirms I made the right choice.
Staytrem = genius. you won't be disappointed -
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:52 pm

I’ve put StayTrems on most of my Jazzmasters and they are incredible pieces of machinery. I left the stock Faux Mustang type bridge on my American Pro because it just works and I love the tone of that guitar as is BUT I’m sure a StayTrem would be great on it too.

My AO was the only Jazzmaster I have ever owned where the stock Bridge was rock solid! I only changed the bridge with a StayTrem because I ordered it Before I got the guitar. Both are great. I may go back to the original at some point on that guitar.