Does bending with an Jazzmaster style tremolo make string go flat like a Strat trem?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
helliger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Does bending with an Jazzmaster style tremolo make string go flat like a Strat trem?

Post by helliger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:44 am

Hi,

Putting together a Jazzmaster and was going to order a trem unit. Was leaning towards the Mastery but I see it doesn't have a trem lock. I'd only use that for country style bends where I bend one string while also holding an unbent string. On a Strat that will make the unbent string go flat a bit.

Does that still happen with Jazzmaster trems? From looking at the design I'm thinking it may not be an issue. If it isn't then I don't think I'd need that trem lock. Must have low acidity in the hands or something because I never break strings.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Does bending with an offset style tremolo make string go flat like a Strat trem?

Post by oid » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Deleted: answered wrong question? Did you edit your post or did I completely misread it somehow?
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

helliger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Does bending with an offset style tremolo make string go flat like a Strat trem?

Post by helliger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:09 pm

oid wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:56 pm
Deleted: answered wrong question? Did you edit your post or did I completely misread it somehow?
I edited it since I'm building a Jazzmaster and offset guitars can have various types of tremolo. I was just wondering in particular about a Jazzmaster style tremolo like the one on an AVRI or the Mastery version. Basically how well it handles double stop types of bends.

i.e. pincky on the Bb of the E string, bend the C on the G string while keeping pinky on the Bb. Will the Bb go a little flat since you're bending the G string?

If it will go flat quite a bit it would be handy to lock the trem when doing a tune with a lot of that kind of stuff (like a country tune or sump'n"

Don_Karnage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Does bending with an Jazzmaster style tremolo make string go flat like a Strat trem?

Post by Don_Karnage » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Well... it depends! First and foremost on how picky your ears are of course but also on how you adjust the spring. If you can live with having the vibrato feel a bit stiffer it’s gonna stay in tune better during bends.
Anyway, I haven’t had too much issues with mastery vibratos. It’s not as stable as a tele or TOM of course but it’s tolerable, for me at least. Much better than a strat if you want it ”floating”.

Enzo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Does bending with an Jazzmaster style tremolo make string go flat like a Strat trem?

Post by Enzo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:46 pm

My jazzmaster almost never goes out of tune with intense tremolo use, but it doesn’t have nearly the range that the strat tremolo has. The strat is capable of dive bombs while the jazzmaster is more suited to warble and shimmering vibrato tones, though it can do half-assed dive bombs too. But the tuning stability is unrivaled.

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:18 pm

it might depending on several factors...but definitely not as likely as a strat. its much more stable than a strat.

helliger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by helliger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:42 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe the trem lock isn’t that important then.

But after reading some of the threads and experiences people had with customer service at Mastery might just go with an AVRI.

Could have been some isolated incidences though and of course only hearing one side of the story. Kind of nervous of not being able to replace a trem arm without going through hoops though.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:13 pm

It isn't. The trem-lock does not address the issue you were asking about; it only prevents the strings from going sharp when the tension changes suddenly (ie when you break a string). Trem 'lock' is really a misnomer, you can still freely use the vibrato to detune the strings flat with it engaged.

To the original question: For double stop bends, yes, the 'unbent' string will dip flat somewhat as all strings are anchored at the same point.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

helliger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by helliger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:44 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:13 pm
It isn't. The trem-lock does not address the issue you were asking about; it only prevents the strings from going sharp when the tension changes suddenly (ie when you break a string). Trem 'lock' is really a misnomer, you can still freely use the vibrato to detune the strings flat with it engaged.

To the original question: For double stop bends, yes, the 'unbent' string will dip flat somewhat as all strings are anchored at the same point.
Oh!! Yeah, that's not a lock at all. Didn't realize that. For me that wouldn't add any benefit I can think of.

For double stop bends I'll just do what I do on my Strat which is don't linger on it. Harder to tell that a note goes flat if it's only for a split second.

Thanks

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Having broken my share of strings I'm quite grateful for having the trem lock, but I understand many people share that sentiment enough that Fender is phasing them out.

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:20 am

If you were to pull the trem arm up against a locked trem, during bends, then the open note would stay fairly true, but then again the same would be true for a strat, if you had a non upward floating setup.
Combining braced trem technique with bends will yield a similar result, as well as easier / higher pitched bends, if desired, whatever system you use.

agiehler
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by agiehler » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:25 am

It will go flat a bit, as you are fighting with opposing tension here, but probably not as much as the Strat trem which has a wider pitch sweep and usually less spring tension overall. Could be wrong on that last part, just a guess.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:17 am

As someone who is sensitive to this issue, it’s been one of the bigger reasons why I don’t get along with Strats. I find it to be quite noticeable on a Strat trem, while almost imperceptible on any JM I’ve ever played. It certainly isn’t an issue on mine.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am

I took the trem arm off my strat so I wasn't tempted to use it, because of this very reason. Haven't had that issue with my Jazzmaster at all, although before I learned proper stringing technique (and when I had my bridge posts taped so they wouldn't rock :fp: ) it did rear its ugly head.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:02 am

not anywhere near as much as a strat imo. because the strat has a lot more range. a jm trem range is about a whole tone (with less on the higher strings) at least when i set it up in a position where the lock functions.

the lock would only adress strings going sharp, it still allows downward bends
I find it useful for two reasons: playing Kevin Shields things he only bends down the notes otherwise it sounds more out of tune.
alternative tunings: starting from standard position=lock off...i do anything from drop C (or a lower open tuning) to EADGGG even. It helps tune quicker because definitely when you detune one string the others start going sharp, and it should help with stability too when actually playing.
I don't think its ever come in handy with 'broken string' scenario but maybe i just don't break them as i use 12-60.