NGD: Custom Shop Jazzmaster 62 Journeyman

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Custom Shop Jazzmaster 62 Journeyman

Post by kgbAttack » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:07 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:03 am
Pacreamer wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:14 am
The 1st part sounds awesome! You can't get the bridge any lower without a shim? I would hate to have to do that to one of my guitars. For some reason the thought of using a shim makes me wanna :wtf: :'( . I could be totally off base with that though...
Nah, nothing to worry about, it can help your guitar both play and sound better. The only thing I would recommend is that you get a full pocket shim from Stew-Mac, it'll cost a bit, but it'll be better than any solution you'll otherwise find (unless you can make your own full pocket shim).
Yeah I am not particularly concerned. I have a set of .25, .5 and 1" shims from StewMac and used one to replace the cardboard shims originally included in my AVRI Jaguar and feel it's much better solution. The action isn't very high, I figure just 0.5 mm higher than what I like it to be. I may try to lower the bridge after all, but I do like angled necks anyway.

Pacreamer
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: NGD: Custom Shop Jazzmaster 62 Journeyman

Post by Pacreamer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:17 pm

I sorry for my shim reservations. It’s only because my first real vintage guitar was chock full of shims. At 17 I purchased a 1967 Mustang; it was beat yet unmolested... Err the electronics were original and the finish was as well, but it definetly saw better days. It also didn’t stay in tune for shit but I loved (and still do) it.

When I went it to get setup by Noll Guitars in Cranston, RI, we found newspaper wad shims in the bridge thimble holes, cardboard in neck pocket etc...

I was 17, so immediately made mental connections to hate shims...