Left handed FSR offsets

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Glover902
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Left handed FSR offsets

Post by Glover902 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:27 am

Hello,

I've spent the whole month debating whether to get one of the lefty offsets currently available to pre-order and now I've nearly run out of time. I've always been attracted to the offset guitars but being a lefty I've never been able to try one and which makes it kinda difficult. I'm basically taking a shot in the dark and hoping I'd like it.

For anyone that might have played something similar before how would you expect the quality of the Japanese FSR to be?

Any advice on how to choose between jazzmaster and jaguar? And any advice on what to expect from them both in sound and feel that would help me to decide if it's for me?

At nearly a grand it's a lot of money for something I really might not like so just any advice would be great. If I don't get this I'd probably get a second hand Tele or something instead.

Thanks,
Sam

armyofbees
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Left handed FSR offsets

Post by armyofbees » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:27 pm

I currently have lefty Japanese Jazzmaster and a Mustang, and I've had a Jaguar before. in my experience Japanese Fenders are great values with excellent fit and finish in necks and bodies. the electronics are the weak spot on the Japanese Fenders. easy enough fix though (pickups, new pots, etc). I have had several lefty Japanese Fenders over the years (mostly strats and teles) and have never been disappointed in the quality and playability. here's my take on all 3 offsets:

Jazzmaster | 25.5" scale length - most complex / richest overall tone (with pickup upgrade! I have pure vintage 65 fender USA pickups in mine vs the stock Japanese "strat wind with a jazzmaster cover" stock pickups). long feeling neck due to large body and full scale length. definitely a keeper.

Jaguar | 24" scale length - fun rocker with a good balance of tones due to the rhythm / lead switch as well as the mid cut switch. I love the short scale but it does affect tone and playability. a lot of people have played heavier strings on short scale guitars to make them feel less "loose".

Mustang | 24" scale length - brightest tone and most fun to play. I love the short scale and on the small bodied mustang it just is a blast to play. I'm considering a pickup swap, but the stock pickups sound pretty nice as is.

there's a great youtube video that compares all 3 models for tone: https://youtu.be/WD5bq33_EY0

definitely worth a watch to hear how they compare to each other. if you're going just between jaguar and jazzmaster then it's a tough call. they both have similarities but it really just depends on the tone you're trying to achieve and what's most comfortable for you in the scale length. hope this helps. Left on!

armyofbees
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by armyofbees » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:37 pm

here's another video showcasing the newest FSR Japanese offsets. nice tone comparison here, too: https://youtu.be/d6ONwU-3bWo

theconsultant
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by theconsultant » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:23 am

Hey, I’m Mike Vennart, I’m the guy in the Guitar Magazine videos demoing these new guitars. As such, I’m pretty much the only guy who’s played them!

Having owned a Japanese JM for 10 years now, I can confirm that the FSR is super high quality. No, I’m not being paid for this post! The necks are really comfortable, a tiny bit more chunky than my old JM. The tuners are incredible - the guitar was perfectly in tune when it arrived despite being shipping in a thin gigbag. The finish on the CAR Jazzmaster in particular is stunning. The pickups are standard Japanese fare, but are sweet sounding. I don’t have anything to compare the Jaguar to, having never played one before (except the Kurt Cobain model, which is a bit of an anomaly, being a weird hybrid neck/fretboard). Nevertheless, I absolutely love the Jag. In terms of sound, they’vd certainly got a lot in common, but aren’t identical. I’d recommend a bit of YouTube research. They’re both lovely to play.

Anything else I can help you with, let me know. I repeat, I’m not on the Fender payroll but I have played these guitars and, IMO, they’re absolutely stunning.

theconsultant
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by theconsultant » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:54 am

Here’s the video:

https://youtu.be/lDmq9QY65Hg

armyofbees
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by armyofbees » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:12 am

theconsultant wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:54 am
Here’s the video:

https://youtu.be/lDmq9QY65Hg
awesome video! thanks!!

Glover902
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glover902 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:51 am

Thats greats thanks for the replies. I wish you could hear more of your playing in the video! What I could hear sounded good though. The jaguar is doing nothing for me so it would defo be one of the jazzmasters. I'm still not sold on it, debating waiting till one comes up on ebay, someone is bound to not gel with it.

matthew a

Post by matthew a » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:42 am

I've had a 90s Jaguar, a Cobain Mustang & now a 2015 FSR Jazzmaster.

As everyone said, the build quality was great on all of them. The necks were super comfy, so much so that the JM has become my main guitar despite preferring short scale necks.

Only criticism is the stock pickups in the Jag and JM. Both were weak and trebly. With a pickup & bridge upgrade (Vintage Creamerys, & Mastery bridge) the JM is an amazing guitar.