If you’re on the American Original JM fence....

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

If you’re on the American Original JM fence....

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:09 pm

Over the years I have owned quite a few Jazzmasters. AVRI, AmPro, Classic Player. I never quite got used to the 7.5” radius neck on the AVRI. The AmPro pickups were awful and I actually really missed the Rhythm circuit. Earlier this month I picked up a new American Original 60’s, after going back and playing it on three different occasions, I was smitten. The neck just pulled me in.

Immediately after getting it home, I spent about an hour giving it a good setup. I just go by Fenders standards. .010 at the 8th for relief and 4/64 across the board at the 17th fret. I am always amazed how very little guitar shops will do to a guitar before they throw it on the wall. Regardless, the setup was a breeze. I actually had to dial in the radius too, but it all is good. My advice to anyone buying one of these, make sure the first thing you do is get the guitar properly setup, it makes the world of difference!!

This is the first Jazzmaster I have ever owned that holds tune after hours of tremolo use. I think the neck pocket angle that fender implemented with this model is key! My only complaint so far is the pickups cut a little on the bright side. I am more than likely going to swap the pots out for some 500k’s and see if that does the trick.

If anyone is on the fence about these, go play one and see for yourself. This might be one of the better JM’s in recent years.

Last edited by Fuzzbuzz on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

BlueMelody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: If you’re on the American Original JM fence....

Post by BlueMelody » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Really gorgeous, congrats! I just picked up the original series 50’s Strat, superb quality!

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:37 am

100% agree with the tuning stability comment. I think some extra care to make a near perfect bone nut was taken on these, because I too was rather surprised with how long I play it before ever needing to tune it (I’m using Elixir Polyweb 11s and the stock bridge FWIW).

Best Jazzmaster I’ve ever owned, new or vintage.

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:32 am

B wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:37 am
100% agree with the tuning stability comment. I think some extra care to make a near perfect bone nut was taken on these, because I too was rather surprised with how long I play it before ever needing to tune it (I’m using Elixir Polyweb 11s and the stock bridge FWIW).

Best Jazzmaster I’ve ever owned, new or vintage.
That is very true about the nut. I’m not sure if it’s across the board, but the 3 AOJM’s I played all had nuts that were cut very well. I am definitely not a Fender “fanboy” if you will, (mostly own Gibson’s) but if this is how guitars are coming out of their factory, they are truly taking the company in the right direction.

BobL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BobL » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 am

Fuzzbuzz wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:09 pm
I think the neck pocket angle that fender implemented with this model is key!
Is this actually a thing? I don't see any evidence of there being any neck angle in the pocket on these, and the one I played, I don't recall noticing anything like this...

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:14 am

I’m not sure it’s possible to actually see the change in a measure of thousandths, but Fender increased the angle so the strings break over the bridge at an ever so slight angle more so than previous Jazzmasters. The result is a lack of need to shim the neck which is something that has been a thing with Fender bolt on necks for decades. It’s singularly one of the most subtle yet effective changes they have probably made. Only took them about 55years to actually pull it off. I believe this is something they started with the American pro’s?

helvetg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by helvetg » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:39 am

Fuzzbuzz wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:14 am
I’m not sure it’s possible to actually see the change in a measure of thousandths, but Fender increased the angle so the strings break over the bridge at an ever so slight angle more so than previous Jazzmasters. The result is a lack of need to shim the neck which is something that has been a thing with Fender bolt on necks for decades. It’s singularly one of the most subtle yet effective changes they have probably made. Only took them about 55years to actually pull it off. I believe this is something they started with the American pro’s?
I remember hearing some marketing thing about the Classic Player JM's that Fender had increased the neck pocket angle, though that could just be another tie in because they moved the trem system up and I'm mixing the two "features" up. Weren't a lot of the AVRI factory issues with shims or am I dreaming that?

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:59 am

Same thoughts, man. Glad you're loving it. I pulled trigger on a 65 thin skin and am over the moon about it. I just shimmed the neck this past weekend and it's even better than it was (which I didn't think possible). The necks on these are so amazing. The chunkiness took a couple hours to get used to because I'd almost exclusively been playing a jaguar...Now my lovely jag feels like a toy :fp:

unreal77
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by unreal77 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:59 pm

That strap! Ace? Or reissue?

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:09 pm

unreal77 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:59 pm
That strap! Ace? Or reissue?
Haha, man, they reissue everything now. It’s a Reissue, and it’s actually pretty nice. The leather isn’t quite as thick as the original Ace straps, so we will see how long it lasts. It still has the Ace logo on it. I think it’s made by Deandrea or something like that

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:26 am

Just a note re your unhappiness with the brightness...

I usually like a lot of treble in my sound. I'm almost always past halfway on the amp. But I got a new JM at the weekend and had accidentally dialled the treble back to around a quarter when lifting the amp out my car, maybe less. I was thinking how great it sounded and I didn't notice the amp settings for ages! Thick and lumpy and delicious!

I've also got it going into a Marshall Edward the Compressor (much better than a lot of the more expensive and tried and tested comps I tried by Boss, EHX et al) which I think helps balance everything out a touch, but it also sounded good with the comp off.

Worth a try, maybe?

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:07 am

simonhpieman wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:26 am
Just a note re your unhappiness with the brightness...

I usually like a lot of treble in my sound. I'm almost always past halfway on the amp. But I got a new JM at the weekend and had accidentally dialled the treble back to around a quarter when lifting the amp out my car, maybe less. I was thinking how great it sounded and I didn't notice the amp settings for ages! Thick and lumpy and delicious!

I've also got it going into a Marshall Edward the Compressor (much better than a lot of the more expensive and tried and tested comps I tried by Boss, EHX et al) which I think helps balance everything out a touch, but it also sounded good with the comp off.

Worth a try, maybe?
I appreciate the info, I will give it a shot.
I’ve definitely been experimenting with guitar and amp settings. My main is a ‘67 blackface super reverb, so there in itself is a big reason I am getting more treble. These old BF circuits are notorious for bringing out the highs. Current treble setting on amp = 1

Fuzzbuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fuzzbuzz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:35 am

I thought I would add an update since last posting about my AOJM. I recently purchased a Staytrem bridge and so far I am liking it better than the original bridge. Overall slightly less buzzing, but what I really like is the string spacing with the staytrem and the dead on saddle height. It’s nice just having to adjust the bridge posts. It seems a little more accurate. To be honest though, I really didn’t see a real reason for replacement other than everyone saying how amazing Staytrem and Mastery bridges are, so I decided to try it out.

The bigger news is that I completely wasted my money on a staytrem tremolo collet. I ordered one with the bridge to save on shipping from the U.K. But after almost two solid months of playing my Jazzmaster with the factory tremolo, it still stays right in position. No swinging around at all, and it’s nice and tight with zero play or clicking noises. Free from any buzzes. Perhaps I just got lucky? I am really loving this guitar. Haven’t picked up my ES-330 since I bought this Jazzmaster.

helvetg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by helvetg » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:27 am

Fuzzbuzz wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:35 am
The bigger news is that I completely wasted my money on a staytrem tremolo collet. I ordered one with the bridge to save on shipping from the U.K. But after almost two solid months of playing my Jazzmaster with the factory tremolo, it still stays right in position. No swinging around at all, and it’s nice and tight with zero play or clicking noises. Free from any buzzes. Perhaps I just got lucky? I am really loving this guitar. Haven’t picked up my ES-330 since I bought this Jazzmaster.
I put an AVRI trem system on this weird pieced together Jazzmaster I have that did the same thing, was beautifully set and never swung around or had any weird noises. That changed the time I decided to act like Sonic Youth for a few minutes, so I think as long as you don't go nuts, it should stay like that for a good while. Hope to be getting one of the AO's sometime soon, the reviews sound pretty good

soul1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soul1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:37 am

Does it come with the AV65 pickups? If so, I never really got on with those pickups either, as I found them to be a bit too bright and thin.