(Hi, I'm new here!) Bass VI questions: bridge options and CS VI quality [Actually, NGD. I bought it!]

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
__BATCAT__
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

(Hi, I'm new here!) Bass VI questions: bridge options and CS VI quality [Actually, NGD. I bought it!]

Post by __BATCAT__ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 am

Hi all,

I've lurked here occasionally for maybe 15 years and I finally made an account. (Or maybe I did ages ago and forgot I did...?) Anyhow...

I've been playing an upgraded Squier VM Bass VI for a couple years but I have my eyes on a beautiful Sonic Blue Custom Shop Bass VI. I just haven't decided if I'm willing to spend the money. Two questions:

1) I use a Staytrem bridge on my VM and it works well, but it looks like the manufacturer is going to be out of stock until at least October. Assuming I can't find a second-hand one, would you recommend any other bridge? Or should I expect the CS bridge to actually be better than the usual of this type?

2) How's the quality for the price of the CS VI or the CS in general? Worth the $$$?

Thanks in advance you your expertise!
Last edited by __BATCAT__ on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

helvetg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: (Hi, I'm new here!) Bass VI questions: bridge options and CS VI quality

Post by helvetg » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:17 pm

1) I use a Staytrem bridge on my VM and it works well, but it looks like the manufacturer is going to be out of stock until at least October. Assuming I can't find a second-hand one, would you recommend any other bridge? Or should I expect the CS bridge to actually be better than the usual of this type?
If you can shell out for a CS model, you might not be too hesitant to shell out for an accompanying Mastery Bridge for it. Though I've only ever used the Staytrem on my Squier VI, I'm sure it would work just as well as the reputation says it should. If the CS is using the standard Offset bridge, you might be in need of a replacement, as they might not adjust the width of the bridge to accommodate the Bass VI width. I don't know if they'd tool a custom Offset bridge just to make it that little bit wider for the more obscure little demon called the Bass VI.

As for the quality, I've only ever owned the Squier, so I can't chime in. They sure do look amazing, but I can't tell if the insane price tag is worth it, diminishing returns and whatnot.

zip73
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zip73 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:08 pm

I had one of the ‘06 special run CS VI’s. Also owned a MIJ VI and PS VI. While quality on all are good, the CS was phenomenal. As far as I know, the bridge on the CS was the same as used on the ‘62 AVRI Jag/JM being produced at that time. As for replacement bridges, the Staytrem VI is the way to go.

Benjirob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Benjirob » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:07 pm

I had for a probably a year the below CS Bass VI.

I genuinely think this was the coolest looking guitar of all time!!! :?

They’re incredibly niche instruments in my opinion, I bought this one for recording an album I was a bass player in. The USA Standard P Bass I had was a much better instrument in terms of the sounds we could get out of it, and for me personally I also found the P Bass a much better playing instrument.

That said, sound is subjective, and if you love your Squier, you’ll probably love the tone of one of these. I think the main difference feel wise will be the CS typically have the vintage neck radius to the Squier’s 9.5 inch radius.

I would say I didn’t think mine was the worth the price so I sold it. It’s frustrating because I wanted to love it, but my P Bass won out.

Terrible love and I'm walking with spiders

__BATCAT__
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by __BATCAT__ » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:29 am

Benjirob wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:07 pm
I had for a probably a year the below CS Bass VI.

I genuinely think this was the coolest looking guitar of all time!!! :?

They’re incredibly niche instruments in my opinion, I bought this one for recording an album I was a bass player in. The USA Standard P Bass I had was a much better instrument in terms of the sounds we could get out of it, and for me personally I also found the P Bass a much better playing instrument.

That said, sound is subjective, and if you love your Squier, you’ll probably love the tone of one of these. I think the main difference feel wise will be the CS typically have the vintage neck radius to the Squier’s 9.5 inch radius.

I would say I didn’t think mine was the worth the price so I sold it. It’s frustrating because I wanted to love it, but my P Bass won out.

Oh man, yeah, that's a gorgeous one there.

I know what you mean about getting used to them. I actually had an Agile VI knockoff for years but it never got that much use and I eventually sold it. Somehow though my second try with the Squier VI took and now I'm hooked on playing it both in bass and guitar roles. It's definitely a style adjustment either way. I do really love the way the VI sounds for recording basslines, though. It sits very politely in the mix.

Anyhow, I got it! 2013 Fender Custom Shop NOS in Sonic Blue. Biggest musical purchase I ever made. I love love love it, don't want to put it down. Glad I have my upgraded Squier too so I can use it for those gigs where I feel less safe about my stuff.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: (Hi, I'm new here!) Bass VI questions: bridge options and CS VI quality [Actually, NGD. I bought it!]

Post by Embenny » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:56 am

I have to say, that's a killer instrument you've got there.

My Bass VI was a gateway instrument for me. I started playing more bass...then buying more basses...and now I'm looking at having a full-on 6-string bass (with 17mm string spacing) built, which is pretty far from the ergonomics and raison d'être of the Bass VI, but it all started with how much damn fun that VI was!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.