American Original Jazzmaster owners, does neck get sticky?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Wavedash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

American Original Jazzmaster owners, does neck get sticky?

Post by Wavedash » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:44 am

Does the neck get sticky after playing? I have a thin skin willdwood jm where the neck always gets sticky after a while. never happens with my strat or les paul. Have had luthier sand it down to a satin finish and that lasted maybe a week but it still felt like grime was accumulating on the neck, and after hitting it with virtuoso cleaner it feels like it did originally. The guitar sounds and plays so good that its not that bothersome, but wondering if the same problem applies to the Am. Originals-- the neck is nitro as well right?

BobL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: American Original Jazzmaster owners, does neck get sticky?

Post by BobL » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:03 pm

I find this happening when necks are polished w/ guitar polish... so use polish on the rest of the body and leave the neck alone and eventually it figures itself out... my 2¢. My new thin skin feels sticker than my other guitars, but I figured it was because of something wildwood put on there. I may be wrong... I'll let you know in 6 months. ;)

BlueMelody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueMelody » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:10 pm

I don’t have the Jazzmaster, but I have the AO 50’s Strat...it definitely does get sticky, but it’s still pretty new. After awhile it’ll start to wear in and the stickiness will subside, par for the course with nitro necks...just needs to played a lot :)

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:26 pm

A huge amount of stick is from filth, sweat and cleaners, make a habit of wiping down your neck with isopropyl or such every so often and wipe it down after playing, wash that rag from time to time as well! Washing your hands before playing will make a difference, those waterless hand sanitizers and skin lotions just make things, soap and water with a thorough rinse before playing does wonders.

Poly is sticky for most people though.

Some people's chemistry/diet just produces sticky sweat and nothing seem a to help them.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 pm

BobL wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:03 pm
I find this happening when necks are polished w/ guitar polish... so use polish on the rest of the body and leave the neck alone and eventually it figures itself out... my 2¢. My new thin skin feels sticker than my other guitars, but I figured it was because of something wildwood put on there. I may be wrong... I'll let you know in 6 months. ;)
Wildwood didn't put anything on there. The neck on my AV65 Jag (same "thin skin" finish, in all but the name) was a bit sticky for the first year or so, but after playing it regularly it gradually went away, and now it's as smooth as a baby's bottom.

BobL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BobL » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:06 pm

sunburster wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 pm
BobL wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:03 pm
Wildwood didn't put anything on there. The neck on my AV65 Jag (same "thin skin" finish, in all but the name) was a bit sticky for the first year or so, but after playing it regularly it gradually went away, and now it's as smooth as a baby's bottom.
Makes sense... this is the first time I've bought a new guitar in a good long while (violating my own rules, but... had to have that OTM :)).

In the past I've found them getting stickier if they get actual liquid polish on them vs. just letting them go or wiping with a dry rag (I also don't have very sweaty paws, so YMMV). Either way, I think time is your friend.