Squier Jaguar: upgrade recommendations?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
mike fried
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Jaguar: upgrade recommendations?

Post by mike fried » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:52 pm

timiscott wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:36 am
Hi, I've got a CP Jag and I love my VM one just as much - great guitars! A Staytrem is about £65but really worth it. Strings don't pop out of the stock bridges for me, but I did find it didn't stay in tune too well. I also put a Fender AVRI tort guard on it - looks fantastic and I swear that it made it more resonant: even my other half commented on how great it sounded unplugged! I put AV65 pups in it and I can't recommend them highly enough for twang, piano-like plinking and beautiful, sparkling both-pup settings. It's a whole different beast now and sounds excellent. I put Klusons on it too but, even with these, I don't use the trem much as it still throws it out. Best mod was the Fender pups though - so nice! I tried SD Vintage for Jag pups before that - great for chords but not for lead, in my opinion.
I also have a VM Jaguar with pretty much the same mods as you (plus a couple more). Your tuning issues are very likely due to the nut slots being undersized for anything larger than the .009 - .042 strings it came with. I had the same problem until I widened them to accommodate the heavier strings. You can try a little graphite powder or soft pencil lead in the nut slots to see if it alleviates the problem; if it does (even just temporarily) it's a nut slot issue.

As a matter of fact, a very large majority of tuning issues with vibrato-equipped guitars are due to nut binding issues; very rarely do the tuners or the tailpiece actually cause any tuning issues.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:50 pm

mike fried wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:52 pm
I also have a VM Jaguar with pretty much the same mods as you (plus a couple more). Your tuning issues are very likely due to the nut slots being undersized for anything larger than the .009 - .042 strings it came with. I had the same problem until I widened them to accommodate the heavier strings. You can try a little graphite powder or soft pencil lead in the nut slots to see if it alleviates the problem; if it does (even just temporarily) it's a nut slot issue.

As a matter of fact, a very large majority of tuning issues with vibrato-equipped guitars are due to nut binding issues; very rarely do the tuners or the tailpiece actually cause any tuning issues.
+1
Also, if your tuning is unstable and you push down on the offending string behind the nut and it stays sharp after release, that's another sign that it's binding in the nut slot. A folded-over piece of fine sandpaper is often enough to fix the slot permanently (graphite can be a good temp fix).

Attention to new string stretching and good string wrapping technique on the tuners also helps a lot.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:49 pm

Good advice - the strings do click a bit sometimes when I tune it up. Overall though, it does hold tuning much better than when it was stock - just the trem is an issue now.

Mr_Martin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mr_Martin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:54 am

Stephen_42 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:11 am
Basically just what the title says. It's a great guitar - I bought it primarily as a modding platform almost 2 years ago, but other than changing the knobs I've not done anything. It doesn't *need* anything changed, but I'm already considering trying some aftermarket pickups (Creamery Sonic 60s) and perhaps upgrading the bridge while I'm at it - the stock works fine, but no string jumping is better than rare string jumping.

If money were no object, I'd go down the Mastery route. But money is an object, so I won't. Bridge budget is ~£50. Want something that's a drop in replacement. Ideally single grooved saddles, and preset radius rather than individual height adjustment screws. Bonus points if there's a choice of colours.

If there's anything that fits the bill but only requires me buying replacement saddles, even better.

Any recommendations?

Don't change the bridge before you read this:

Very interesting blog about the Jaguar issues with the bridge:

https://tymguitars.com.au/blogs/blog/84 ... nd-vibrato

Summary:
"When set up and adjusted properly, they are, to me, the best vibrato and bridge set up Fender ever designed and used."

From an interview with Marc Ribot:

Source: https://www.musicradar.com/news/mar...o ... lay-guitar

This seems like a bit of a departure from your trusty ’63 Fender Jaguar!

“Yeah, that’s right! Two great years for those: ’62 and ’63 - flat pickups and chunkier necks.
That’s what I kinda like. I started out on classical and I always liked bigger necks.
What’s drawn people back a lot from Jaguars, especially those years of Jaguars, is the bridge, which is so impossible.
I had a Mastery bridge put on - I kept it on for about five minutes and then I sent it back.
I mean, it lost the funkiness, which was why I had the instrument in the first place.

“So now I’m just used to the idea - in the middle of a solo I sometimes have to reach down and put the E string back on the E-string saddle!
You have little obstacles you have to work around with that guitar, but it’s the spice of life.
It’s got a funky sound with that bridge.”

mike fried
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mike fried » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:24 pm

timiscott wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:49 pm
Good advice - the strings do click a bit sometimes when I tune it up. Overall though, it does hold tuning much better than when it was stock - just the trem is an issue now.
String clicking is a sure sign of nut slot binding. Get that taken care of before you worry about the trem. You're just gonna be chasing your tail if you don't.

timiscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timiscott » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:47 pm

Definitely true but, to be honest, if I want to use a Trem, I usually use my AV65 JM. I love my VM jag though!

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:51 am

I've just realised it might come across as rude that I've not replied to any of the messages so far! I am reading all of them, I'm just looking for a menu of ideas. Will post pics when I have something to show, of course!

Decisions so far:

- I'm definitely ordering those Creamery pickups as soon as the shop goes back online. (Unless anyone has any last-minute tips? I know people rave about AVs and Duncan Antiquities, but I'm looking for weird and wonderful drop-in replacements rather than top of the line traditional Jag sounds.)

- I appreciate people saying the bridge doesn't *need* upgrading, it's perfectly usable as is and (though I don't know why) it's much less prone to rattling than even the (supposedly) superior bridge on my Blacktop Jazzmaster. But the multiple slots and unnecessary moving parts (individually adjustable saddle heights aren't really needed when I can just adjust the whole bridge, and the neck radius isn't changing) make it imperfect enough that I'd like to replace it, especially as I bought this guitar specifically so I could learn how to modify guitars!

The GraphTech caught my eye as something cool and different, but my head says the Staytrem is exactly what I want. For now, I think I'll wait on the bridge and keep mulling it over. If I can go a year or so without any other guitar purchases, maybe reward myself with a Mastery then?

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:08 am

As has been mentioned earlier address the Nut. If you can't do it get a Luthier.. That's half the problem.

For that Guitar I'd suggest a simple cheap Mustang Bridge. They work great. With a good Setup it should be a good Player..

Personally I wouldn't put much more money in it than that. GAS will hit you at some point & you'll want something else.. Save your money for that..

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:36 am

Larsongs wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:08 am
As has been mentioned earlier address the Nut. If you can't do it get a Luthier.. That's half the problem.

For that Guitar I'd suggest a simple cheap Mustang Bridge. They work great. With a good Setup it should be a good Player..

Personally I wouldn't put much more money in it than that. GAS will hit you at some point & you'll want something else.. Save your money for that..
There's nothing wrong with the nut at all; none of the characteristic buzzing or tuning problems, and it's already a great player. It's at least on par with my Mexican Blacktop Jazzmaster, if not better.

It's just a case of not liking the occasional string jumping into different saddles when playing vigorously. (And past experience of disliking the rattly screws in Jazzmaster bridges. Not that I've had that problem with this one, mind.) I could in principle file down the grooves myself, but seeing as a major reason for buying the guitar in the first place was to get more experience modding things, a reversible change of bridge sounds like it could be a bit of fun to do.

mike fried
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mike fried » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Stephen_42 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:51 am
The GraphTech caught my eye as something cool and different, but my head says the Staytrem is exactly what I want. For now, I think I'll wait on the bridge and keep mulling it over. If I can go a year or so without any other guitar purchases, maybe reward myself with a Mastery then?
Having used both the Staytrem and the Mastery, I don't consider the Staytrem a "stepping stone " to the Mastery - it's just as viable an alternative as it's of very high quality and doesn't alter the tone as much as the Mastery does.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:31 pm

mike fried wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:59 pm
Stephen_42 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:51 am
Having used both the Staytrem and the Mastery, I don't consider the Staytrem a "stepping stone " to the Mastery - it's just as viable an alternative as it's of very high quality and doesn't alter the tone as much as the Mastery does.
The pull of the Mastery is as much "cool and different" factor as anything practical, if I'm honest. Head says Staytrem, heart says wait on Mastery. I guess I see how I feel after doing the pickups!

cmd2kx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmd2kx » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:51 pm

+1 For trying flat wounds. Aside from pickups this will make the biggest difference in changing the tone of your guitar (and it is temporary!)

angerjas
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by angerjas » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:18 am

(I've never used them and don't have a jag but...) From what I've read, you could have a look at Mojo pickups as well. Apparently just as good as Creamery if not better and a bit cheaper.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:00 am

angerjas wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:18 am
(I've never used them and don't have a jag but...) From what I've read, you could have a look at Mojo pickups as well. Apparently just as good as Creamery if not better and a bit cheaper.
Very good call - I hadn't even heard of them until this, but definitely ticks my weird and wonderful box! Doesn't seem to have as much choice that's a drop in for Jag, but definitely will keep in mind!

SAVEStheDAY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SAVEStheDAY » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:35 am

I routed mine for humbuckers and put a Mustang bridge on it. I like a lot. That's probably not your aesthetic, and it's definitely more than your $50 budget, but I think the important thing to note is that whatever you do to yours, it's a surprisingly good guitar out of the box and it takes mods really well. I'm sure you'll be happy with it whatever you end up doing.