Warmoth firework sparkle JM

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Warmoth firework sparkle JM

Post by tammyw » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:09 pm

I asked if they'd do a matching headstock, but the answer was no. So I just slapped on an Am. Pro neck for now, not sure about getting something else later.

The base coat under the flakes is a bright red, and the silver flakes look to be .025 and the other colors smaller .015's. And there's definitely purple flakes in with the red and blue. In person, it strikes you how much silver there is, it makes the color overall seem rather unsaturated, but you can also see individual sparks of red and blue when they catch the light.

It's not quite 100% done yet, but I couldn't wait to string it up...

The pictures don't really capture the sparkle, not the right lighting.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:34 pm

That looks nice. Good choices on the color scheme.

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:56 am

Thanks, I'm really happy with the way this one turned out. The '62 AVRI pickups sound great, but they were both wound anti-clockwise even though the magnets are reversed, so I had to switch around the black and white leads on one to get them in phase. Ended up using a Stew Mac 1-degree shim under the neck, otherwise the bridge was as low as it could go with just a couple layers of business card. It's a bit on the heavy side at 8.9 lbs.

I like the uniqueness of the color even if it's not the best sparkle. It's very tempting to get the Jazzcaster body since it hasn't sold yet, but I really don't need another project.

All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

helvetg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by helvetg » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:33 am

tammyw wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:56 am
Thanks, I'm really happy with the way this one turned out. The '62 AVRI pickups sound great, but they were both wound anti-clockwise even though the magnets are reversed, so I had to switch around the black and white leads on one to get them in phase. Ended up using a Stew Mac 1-degree shim under the neck, otherwise the bridge was as low as it could go with just a couple layers of business card. It's a bit on the heavy side at 8.9 lbs.

I like the uniqueness of the color even if it's not the best sparkle. It's very tempting to get the Jazzcaster body since it hasn't sold yet, but I really don't need another project.

I never thought I'd ever say that a sparkle finish looks good, but that actually looks awesome, like you could dive into a pool of glitter and that's what you'd look like when you came out.

DavidG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DavidG » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:29 am

It's like one of those old school magic eye pictures, I love it.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:16 pm

That's the first time I've ever liked/preferred seeing black pickup covers, knobs, switch tip and trem arm tip on a Jazzmaster. But it works here, and "pops". That's a neat-looking guitar. I love sparkle/metal-flake stuff as is, but I typically don't go for pearloid guards and the black plastic. But this is a major exception, and it somehow goes together really well. Nice!

I'd proudly play that, knowing there likely isn't another one on the planet that looks like it (and that usually means more to me than period-accuracy or standard, expected finishes or - heaven forbid - wading into the pickguard battle-dome where the various "which of these 37 shades of mint is most accurate?" and "my tort is way tortier than yours!" skirmishes are endlessly staged).

Sometimes just going with a funky color/hardware/plastic/pickguard scheme that never crossed Fender's mind is the surefire way to sidestep all the above...and you wind up with something that's completely you. The above is a perfect example of that. I DARE Fender to ever put a Jazzmaster out that looks like this. :D

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:58 am

pscates wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:16 pm
That's the first time I've ever liked/preferred seeing black pickup covers, knobs, switch tip and trem arm tip on a Jazzmaster. But it works here, and "pops". That's a neat-looking guitar. I love sparkle/metal-flake stuff as is, but I typically don't go for pearloid guards and the black plastic. But this is a major exception, and it somehow goes together really well. Nice!

I'd proudly play that, knowing there likely isn't another one on the planet that looks like it (and that usually means more to me than period-accuracy or standard, expected finishes or - heaven forbid - wading into the pickguard battle-dome where the various "which of these 37 shades of mint is most accurate?" and "my tort is way tortier than yours!" skirmishes are endlessly staged).

Sometimes just going with a funky color/hardware/plastic/pickguard scheme that never crossed Fender's mind is the surefire way to sidestep all the above...and you wind up with something that's completely you. The above is a perfect example of that. I DARE Fender to ever put a Jazzmaster out that looks like this. :D
Well said!

Great build. Enjoy!

agiehler
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by agiehler » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:24 am

Super cool sparkle finish. Looks like the TVL model.