Jagstang or Jaguarillo

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
SAVEStheDAY
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jagstang or Jaguarillo

Post by SAVEStheDAY » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:28 am

The Jag-Stang was one of my first guitars, and it's still disappointing me all these years later. The neck is just about perfect. Everything else leaves something to be desired. The humbucker is one of the worst I've ever heard. Strangely swapping it hasn't really helped. I'll take something I know I like, stick it in the Jag-Stang, and it's like it sucks out all the tone. Maybe the basswood body? I dunno, but I've tried a lot of pickups in this guitar. No contours kind of sucks too. I believe that if Kurt had lived longer he would have continued refining it before it went into production.

To me the Jaguarillo seems kind of like a hybrid between the Classic Player Jag, and the Classic Player HH Jag. I have the latter and love it, and I'm pretty sure I could get down with this guitar. I'd take it over another Jag-Stang any day, even with no personal experience playing it.

Acidhouse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Acidhouse » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:51 am

A lot of people say that and I was in that camp. I even read somewhere where someone took out the original bucker, put it in something else and loved the sound of the bucker. I didn't like it but I found by putting in the '59, I got tones out of it I like. I don't think it's the basswood body. Most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between basswood and alder. Plus, so many great guitars have had basswood.

On a side note, I've got a Squier VM Mustang on the way and a set of Rose Mariposa's in a guitar that I don't much play. My thought is to swap out the neck of the Mariposa for the neck of the Jag-Stang and then swap the neck and bridge out of the VM and install the middle and bridge Mariposa into the Mustang. If I have this right in my head, then it should keep the hum minimized.

gblbass
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gblbass » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:11 am

Acidhouse wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:51 am
On a side note, I've got a Squier VM Mustang on the way and a set of Rose Mariposa's in a guitar that I don't much play. My thought is to swap out the neck of the Mariposa for the neck of the Jag-Stang and then swap the neck and bridge out of the VM and install the middle and bridge Mariposa into the Mustang. If I have this right in my head, then it should keep the hum minimized.
You lost me...

Acidhouse
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Acidhouse » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:05 pm

gblbass wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:11 am
Acidhouse wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:51 am
You lost me...
That's okay, I already went sour on the idea. However, here is what I was thinking. I have a set of Rose Mariposas in a Strat. The middle is RW. I have the Squier Mustang that has two DD pickups and the Jag-Stang that has the MIJ neck pickup along with the '59 bucker.

My idea was . . ..
Remove the DDs and put the RW Middle Rose into the neck position on the Mustang and the Bridge Rose into the Bridge position on the Mustang. They would be hum cancelling.

Take the Neck Rose and swap it with the MIJ Neck in the Jag-Stang.

However, none of this is on topic for the OP. So sorry about that.