Fender Player Series

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
helvetg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Player Series

Post by helvetg » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:26 pm

kimson wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:17 pm
But most importantly: am I really the only one who thinks "Player" is a super lame name for a line in general, but even more so compared to "Standard"?
Visually and phonetically, I think the Fender Player Series is the worst name I've ever come across. Maybe I just need time to get used to it, but it's got to be something with the two consecutive "-er" endings in a row followed by a heavy S word like series. It's just such an awkward triplet of words.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:20 pm

leokula wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:08 am
timtam wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:59 am
JM has HBs only with no coil split. Jag has SC and HB, with coil tap. In action at Andertons ...
https://youtu.be/liSQAy2HZhg?t=1398
On one hand we have Rob shredding, on the other we have lee playing a G chord and waving the trem over and over... great team these two.
I absolutely loathe guitar demo videos. Blueshammer. Blueshammer. Blueshammer. And these guys are as guilty as any ridiculous Blueshammer player out there.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:29 pm

So, in the Player Series, much like in the AmPro series, you can get a Stratocaster that is actually a Stratocaster. You can get a Telecaster that is actually a Telecaster. HOWEVER, you can't get a Jaguar that is actually a Jaguar. And you can't get a Jazzmaster that is actually a Jazzmaster.

If these are replacing MIM guitars, I assume that includes the '60s Lacquer? So, your choices for a Jaguar that is actually a Jaguar, or a Jazzmaster that is actually a Jazzmaster is either a $400 Squier Vintage Modified or the new $2,000+ American Original, with nothing in between?

Why does Fender hate offset guitars? They hurt my brain.

Also, if you are going to do something different, why is "Making it a Gibson" the answer? I'd love to see Fender do Fender.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Still don't know where I stand on this line

kimson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kimson » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:28 am

helvetg wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:26 pm
kimson wrote:
But most importantly: am I really the only one who thinks "Player" is a super lame name for a line in general, but even more so compared to "Standard"?
Visually and phonetically, I think the Fender Player Series is the worst name I've ever come across. Maybe I just need time to get used to it, but it's got to be something with the two consecutive "-er" endings in a row followed by a heavy S word like series. It's just such an awkward triplet of words.
Not just visually and phonetically. What really chafes my vag is the redundancy of the name; it's like calling a guitar model "Model" because hey, that's what it is. Those who are not guitar players should get an American Original instead, or what?

Beyer160
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beyer160 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:18 am

sirspens wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:29 pm
So, in the Player Series, much like in the AmPro series, you can get a Stratocaster that is actually a Stratocaster. You can get a Telecaster that is actually a Telecaster. HOWEVER, you can't get a Jaguar that is actually a Jaguar. And you can't get a Jazzmaster that is actually a Jazzmaster.

If these are replacing MIM guitars, I assume that includes the '60s Lacquer? So, your choices for a Jaguar that is actually a Jaguar, or a Jazzmaster that is actually a Jazzmaster is either a $400 Squier Vintage Modified or the new $2,000+ American Original, with nothing in between?
Don't forget the "60th Anniversary" replacements for the '60s Lacquer series at $1200.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:41 am

sirspens wrote:
If things stay the same as they are on the website today for the foreseeable future, this is the jag range ...
https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/jaguar/

ie
Player
American Professional
Classic Player HH
60s Lacquer
American Original 60s
Classic Player Special
Marr
Cobain

So the 60s Lacquer may remain as the 'real' jag in between Squier VM and American Original ?
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:42 am

kimson wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:28 am
helvetg wrote:
kimson wrote:
Not just visually and phonetically. What really chafes my vag is the redundancy of the name; it's like calling a guitar model "Model" because hey, that's what it is. Those who are not guitar players should get an American Original instead, or what?
I thought the connotation of "Player" is a no-frills, inexpensive workhorse sort of guitar?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:53 am

kimson wrote:

Nah, if you're a conformist player, you get the Player Series, but if you're an original artist, you need an American Original in order to make original music!

I mean, what kind of bush league cover band uses a singlecoil neck and humbucker bridge. An original artist takes an original approach with their jaguar, and uses the novel combination of two single coils!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

kimson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kimson » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:09 am

601210 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:42 am
kimson wrote:
helvetg wrote:

I thought the connotation of "Player" is a no-frills, inexpensive workhorse sort of guitar?
Yeah, could be, but given the earlier Classic Player (which isn't/wasn't really in any way "classic", at least in the sense of "traditional" as opposed to "modern") and Modern Player (which, in turn, was "modern" only if you were looking at it from the 1940s) lines (*), one can't help but think they just couldn't come up with another attribute for "Player" and thought, what the hell, let's just drop the attribute altogether.

But to be honest, I have no idea whether the word "Player" (in this line or CP and MP) refers to the person who's playing the guitar or the way the guitar plays or something else altogether. I always assumed it referred to the person, but I think I like the idea of a "player guitar" (in the sense of a "workhorse") even less because these days the term is almost as banale as "tone" and "mojo" and don't even get me started on those two.

Sheesh, I'm ranting. Sorry. It's not really the new series that gets me worked up - I'm sure they are okay guitars once you mod them to your liking - but the lazy and unimaginative use of language.

(*) Only talking about offset models here.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:35 am

timtam wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:41 am
sirspens wrote:
If things stay the same as they are on the website today for the foreseeable future, this is the jag range ...
https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/jaguar/

ie
Player
American Professional
Classic Player HH
60s Lacquer
American Original 60s
Classic Player Special
Marr
Cobain

So the 60s Lacquer may remain as the 'real' jag in between Squier VM and American Original ?
Okay. If the Lacquer is staying, I withdraw my objection. haha
Beyer160 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:18 am
Don't forget the "60th Anniversary" replacements for the '60s Lacquer series at $1200.
They are temporary.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:59 am

sirspens wrote:

Why does Fender hate offset guitars? They hurt my brain.

Also, if you are going to do something different, why is "Making it a Gibson" the answer? I'd love to see Fender do Fender.
They aren’t replacing all Mexican guitars with these, just the Standard Series.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:33 am

i know we all get a little upset when Fender messes with pickups and electronics. For me, I love the variety in Offsets in their line now. Since Offsets are used in a lot of experimental types of music I think they are a great palette to experiment with...as long as you can still get the traditional setup...which you can.

I’m just glad I’m not interested in this line. They got me twice in a row with the American Pro and Original line but I’m set for awhile. As it is I’m never sure which one to play...I love them both!

Nothing in this Player line has anything I’m looking for and I’m not impressed by the colors, but they do make for unique addition to the line up. Strats and Tele’s can stay boring...let them experiment with Offsets.

El Pelo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pelo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:49 pm

Aside from being ugly, I like the idea of the push / pull humbuckers.

How difficult is it to put pick up covers on?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:27 pm

Kudos for the use of 'chafes my vag'. And yep, they might as well just release the new 'guitar series'.
mbene085 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:53 am
kimson wrote:

Nah, if you're a conformist player, you get the Player Series, but if you're an original artist, you need an American Original in order to make original music!
What about professionals, will they only be provided with an Am Pro?

(Meanwhile the rest of us are still waiting for the American Amateur series FFS)
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.