Comparison of the tremolo on my Squier Deluxe JM vs Squier Std. Stratocaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Digital Larry
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Comparison of the tremolo on my Squier Deluxe JM vs Squier Std. Stratocaster

Post by Digital Larry » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:06 pm

;D :D ;D :D
NO really.
:whistle: :unsure: :derp: :fp:

The Strat trem is terrible. Now to be fair it cost less than half of what I spent on the JM. But this trem is stiff and doesn't bend up at all.

I suppose I can't ask for recommendations here for an aftermarket solution. I do generally like the sound of the you know what. Wouldn't mind a better trem on it. Sometimes though once you've done all that there's some other guitar you could have bought already put together that sounds and works the way you want.

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Comparison of the tremolo on my Squier Deluxe JM vs Squier Std. Stratocaster

Post by alkalineHemlock » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:17 pm

I agree with you on that the offset trem is the superior choice... But have you tried setting up the bridge to be floating? That might solve your urge for up-bends and the stiffness of the tremolo unit.

Digital Larry
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Comparison of the tremolo on my Squier Deluxe JM vs Squier Std. Stratocaster

Post by Digital Larry » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:14 pm

I guess under the circumstances it's gonna be pretty hard to pretend I knew about that.

8)

Thanks!

alkalineHemlock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alkalineHemlock » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:10 pm

Haha don’t worry about it! If it weren’t for my brother’s Mexican strat, I wouldn’t have done tried it either.

cmd2kx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmd2kx » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:51 pm

Setting up a Strat Trem takes practice and tons of fine tuning. Be sure to experiment with 3 or 5 springs. I personally found a great method online using 5 springs at staggered length (by adjusting the two tremolo claw screws). I found intonation to be much more stable this way. I will try to find the website and post a link.