Mustang Recommendations

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
OmarAfzaal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Mustang Recommendations

Post by OmarAfzaal » Thu May 24, 2018 3:47 pm

Hey everyone!

So, I'm in the market for a shortscale offset. The only main reason that I'm leaning toward a Mustang over a Jaguar is because the body is smaller. However, it doesn't look like Fender's current models offer any tremolo bridges. So yeah, short scale, tremolo bridge, smallish body would be perfect for me. Currently, I'm alternating between a Fender JMJM (Purple) and a Gibson SG. Love the JMJM's neck, but wish it was shorter and I feel like I'd be a bit more agile with smaller frets. The SG is sick, but that neck is way too fat. Should I look at Squiers? Any direction would help. Sorry if this is vague.

bacca51
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mustang Recommendations

Post by bacca51 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:15 pm

OmarAfzaal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by OmarAfzaal » Thu May 24, 2018 4:27 pm

That's my plan B. Those damn Sweetwater and Guitar Center deals make it too easy though!

I DO love the look of an old natural finish or sunburst Mustang. If it's not that, it's gotta be shell pink.

Any other recs for small body/short scale offsets that aren't necessarily Fenders?

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Thu May 24, 2018 4:35 pm

OmarAfzaal wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:27 pm
That's my plan B. Those damn Sweetwater and Guitar Center deals make it too easy though!

I DO love the look of an old natural finish or sunburst Mustang. If it's not that, it's gotta be shell pink.

Any other recs for small body/short scale offsets that aren't necessarily Fenders?
I believe these are 24" scale

https://reverb.com/item/6230481-hopf-tw ... -w-germany

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Thu May 24, 2018 8:50 pm

I mean, if the alternatives are a CIJ JMJM or a Gibson SG, neither of which are "cheap" guitars, then why not look for a vintage Mustang? They're one of the final frontiers of affordable vintage Fenders. I got mine for $1,200, and I've seen some even cheaper than that.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the CIJ JMJM, that's for sure, and I have a feeling they will hold their value pretty well. (They already have!)

But I love my Mustang and it's probably the easiest guitar I have to just pick up and noodle around with because it's so light. The original Mustangs were almost stupidly light, even lighter than they look for their size. My Mustang is a lot lighter than my wife's ES-335, and that thing's a hollowbody.

OmarAfzaal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by OmarAfzaal » Fri May 25, 2018 2:45 am

You're absolutely right. That's precisely what I started thinking about once I wrote that post. Thanks for the advice!

paulnewman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by paulnewman » Sat May 26, 2018 4:03 am

It’s also worth looking into a MIJ/CIJ mustang. They’re vintage spec and you may be able to find a used one of those for cheaper than an actual vintage one. They’re great guitars, especially the ‘65 reissue. I have one in olympic white and I absolutely love it. Really nice slim neck and the Japanese craftsmanship is impeccable. Plus you can find them in all sorts of color options.

OmarAfzaal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by OmarAfzaal » Sat May 26, 2018 4:06 am

That's what I was finding upon my initial searches. The CIJ/MIJ stuff looks beautiful.

paulnewman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by paulnewman » Sat May 26, 2018 8:53 am

OmarAfzaal wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:06 am
That's what I was finding upon my initial searches. The CIJ/MIJ stuff looks beautiful.
Yeah, I’ll stand behind those all day. Ishibashi has some great deals direct from Japan too. I haven’t ordered from them personally, but everything I’ve ever heard about their customer service is fantastic and apparently shipping is insanely fast.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:09 pm

Have you considered a 2nd hand Cobain Mustang? Mine's great, they come with the traditional vibratio (though ToM rather than standard bridge),and the JB pickup might be an additional selling point if you're looking for something with humbuckers to replace the SG.

There's no signature that would identify it as an artist model if that's an issue, and the competition blue version isn't even particularly close to Kurt's compstang (no matching headstock, complete different pickups etc.)

OmarAfzaal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by OmarAfzaal » Sat May 26, 2018 7:32 pm

paulnewman wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:53 am
OmarAfzaal wrote:
Yeah, I’ll stand behind those all day. Ishibashi has some great deals direct from Japan too. I haven’t ordered from them personally, but everything I’ve ever heard about their customer service is fantastic and apparently shipping is insanely fast.
I've never heard of Ishibashi. This is amazing!! Thanks for the help.

OmarAfzaal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by OmarAfzaal » Sat May 26, 2018 7:39 pm

Stephen_42 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:09 pm
Have you considered a 2nd hand Cobain Mustang? Mine's great, they come with the traditional vibratio (though ToM rather than standard bridge),and the JB pickup might be an additional selling point if you're looking for something with humbuckers to replace the SG.

There's no signature that would identify it as an artist model if that's an issue, and the competition blue version isn't even particularly close to Kurt's compstang (no matching headstock, complete different pickups etc.)
The thing is that my SG is a classic with P90s. So, single coils/JM Pickups/P90s is what I'm really into. I've been coming to the realization that humbuckers really aren't necessarily "heavier" as I thought when I was kid. There's too much "squash" (for lack of a better term) involved.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Sun May 27, 2018 2:04 am

How about a Bullet Mustang with a Les Paul bridge and a surface mount vibrato like a Teisco?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun May 27, 2018 5:28 am

paulnewman wrote:
OmarAfzaal wrote:
I just made my first Ishibashi purchase and it went super smoothly. They also had the most logically-packed guitar box I'd ever seen (opens along the long side so you can easily pull the cause out, instead of opening along the top/bottom like all previous purchases I've made, where you kinda struggle to get the case out of the box).
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

OmarAfzaal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by OmarAfzaal » Sun May 27, 2018 4:36 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 5:28 am
paulnewman wrote:
OmarAfzaal wrote:
I just made my first Ishibashi purchase and it went super smoothly. They also had the most logically-packed guitar box I'd ever seen (opens along the long side so you can easily pull the cause out, instead of opening along the top/bottom like all previous purchases I've made, where you kinda struggle to get the case out of the box).
So I might be a bit uneducated about what they're selling. Are these new Japanese makes unless otherwise noted?