Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster Changes?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
sonicbaker
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster Changes?

Post by sonicbaker » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:19 am

This is one way to decode Squier serial numbers, though the individual factory info is not in this one.

http://www.squierwiki.com/Serial-Number-Tracking
'17 Fender Johnny Marr Jaguar; '13 Schecter Hellcat VI, '08 Fender Am. Std Jazz Bass , ‘20 Fender Am. Pro. II Jazzmaster; ‘84 Gibson Custom Shop ES-335 DOT; ‘78 Fender Telecaster; ‘86 Fender MIJ Precision Bass; ‘66 Hagstrom 12; ‘17 Fender Am. Std Strat

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:01 am

I recently picked up one of the new Indian Laurel Mascis necks to put on my Sonic Blue VMJM. I thought I'd share a pic in case anyone was curious about the Laurel. This one has a lot of flamed figure in the Laurel and isn't any lighter in color than the rosewood board VMJM neck it is replacing. The feel of the Laurel is pretty much the same as Rosewood as well.

Doug
@dpcannafax

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:34 am

It looks really good. TBH I wouldn't even notice it wasn't rosewood if you didn't say it
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:10 pm

Bumping this because I never before noticed the Mascis (and Deluxe) models are Made in China rather than Indonesia, where the VM necks are made. Obvious differences are the truss ensconcement shape, lack of skunk stripe, and smaller heel 'shoulders' (along with 'better' shaping and wood, by my estimation.)

I guess that explains why the Mascis necks feel different (and better) than VM. But can we confirm these new 'CV' Mascis guitars get you the same Made in China neck?
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:28 pm

According to everything I see online, the Mascis guitars are still made in China.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... Y190300844

(See back of headstock)

At any rate, the neck profile on the Mascis/Deluxe is just extremely comfy. Even though it is/was made in the same factory as the Classic Vibe guitars, it's quite a bit beefier than any of the CVs I've owned, and of course it's a satin poly finish rather than a glossy neck. There's a theory a few pages back that they moved production to a different Chinese factory, which might explain some recent neck sizing differences, but I would hope that it's still at the same level of quality.

FYI Sweetwater has 3 2018 ones as well (check the CGS serial numbered ones), and you can spot some visual differences in the pictures.

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:03 am

alexpigment wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:28 pm
According to everything I see online, the Mascis guitars are still made in China.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... Y190300844

(See back of headstock)

At any rate, the neck profile on the Mascis/Deluxe is just extremely comfy. Even though it is/was made in the same factory as the Classic Vibe guitars, it's quite a bit beefier than any of the CVs I've owned, and of course it's a satin poly finish rather than a glossy neck. There's a theory a few pages back that they moved production to a different Chinese factory, which might explain some recent neck sizing differences, but I would hope that it's still at the same level of quality.

FYI Sweetwater has 3 2018 ones as well (check the CGS serial numbered ones), and you can spot some visual differences in the pictures.
I think the CY serial number is for made in Taiwan. All these changes ( all the new classic vibes are going to be made in Indonesia in 2 different factories ) is because of the economic war between The USA and China and the new taxes the Trump administration wants to put on products made in China ...

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:00 am

I guess I grew up seeing “Made in Taiwan” on a lot of products, so it’s weird for my brain to see “Made in China” on the headstock (see Sweetwater link) and assume it’s Taiwan. At any rate, it’s a plausible explanation.