I need help getting a replacement Fender decal - any Fender reps here?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
dren68
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

I need help getting a replacement Fender decal - any Fender reps here?

Post by dren68 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:55 am

Kind of a long story, but I'm hoping someone can help.

I took my AVRI Jaguar to get setup a while back, and the guy doing the setup inadvertently tore half of the decal off. He was very apologetic, and I told him not to worry about it, although I was a little bummed about it, I just figured it was an honest mistake. Anyway, I was hoping I could get a replacement decal from Fender, so I emailed them and got the request form for a new decal, took photos, etc. and took it to the local Guitar Center which is the only licensed Fender dealer in town. I left my phone number with the guitar guy and figured he would call me when he heard back from Fender. After several weeks, I hadn't heard anything, so I went in to see if he had heard anything back from Fender. He said he hadn't had a chance to send it in, and to check back again. So I waited several more weeks, and still hadn't heard anything, so I went back again. This time he said my request had been denied by Fender. He then went on to tell me a story about how one time a customer brought back a mandolin from Fender that had a small imperfection, and how they had to destroy it completely to have it replaced. I thought that was a little extreme, and odd that he would tell me this story, but after thinking about it for a while, I suspected that, in a roundabout way, he was telling me that I would have to tear the rest of the decal off if I wanted to get a replacement.

So... my question is... do I remove the remainder of the decal and hope that Fender will send me a replacement decal?

I'm also not sure I want to trust this guy at Guitar Center to help me with this request, so I was wondering if anyone else here knows of a Fender dealer that might be able to help me with this. I figure with the internet, I can just email the photos and form to anyone.

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I need help getting a replacement Fender decal - any Fender reps here?

Post by Francer » Sun May 20, 2018 11:25 am

I would definitely not be removing the rest of that decal until you have the replacement in your hands. Suggest you find a decent repro (they are around, someone around here will help you I’m sure) and maybe only replace the missing portion, rather than the whole thing.

Ps. As for your guitar “tech”.... :fp:

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sun May 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Contact Fender customer service. If you send them the serial and such, I believe they will give you a replacement one to put on it. You just have to prove you are the owner and not just trying to get a decal to put on a non-Fender guitar.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

dren68
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dren68 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 pm

Francer wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:25 am
I would definitely not be removing the rest of that decal until you have the replacement in your hands. Suggest you find a decent repro (they are around, someone around here will help you I’m sure) and maybe only replace the missing portion, rather than the whole thing.

Well, if it was a parts caster, I would be fine with a repro decal, but since it's an AVRI, I'd rather get an official Fender replacement if at all possible.
HNB wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:14 pm
Contact Fender customer service. If you send them the serial and such, I believe they will give you a replacement one to put on it. You just have to prove you are the owner and not just trying to get a decal to put on a non-Fender guitar.
Yeah, I did that already, and the guitar guy told me that Fender didn't approve the request for some reason, so... that's my dilemma.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sun May 20, 2018 2:08 pm

You should contact them personally and not go through a middle person. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Francer » Sun May 20, 2018 2:16 pm

dren68 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 pm
Francer wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 11:25 am

Well, if it was a parts caster, I would be fine with a repro decal, but since it's an AVRI, I'd rather get an official Fender replacement if at all possible.
Yes, fair enough, I would feel the same, that’s why I’m thinking at least leave as much of the original one intact for now.

I would try going to Fender direct, you can’t be the first person ever to need this, maybe tweet them? Otherwise I’m sure someone official from Fender must keep an eye on the forum at fender.com. Could you send the neck to Fender and get them to apply the new decal for you as a repair?

dren68
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dren68 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:25 pm

HNB wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:08 pm
Once again, that's what I did. I emailed Fender Consumer relations and explained the situation, and here's the response I got.

Hello,

I've attached instructions on how to get a replacement decal. I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Brett Leasure
Fender Musical Instruments Corp.
17600 N. Perimeter Drive, Suite 100
Scottsdale, AZ 85255
Telephone: (480) 845-5144
Fax: 480-367-5262
E-Mail: bleasure@fender.com

Below is the pdf that he sent, which tells me to take it to an authorized FMIC Service Center (which I did), and was eventually told by the employee I gave the paperwork to that my request was not approved.

dren68
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dren68 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:27 pm

dren68 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:25 pm
HNB wrote:
Once again, that's what I did. I emailed Fender Consumer relations and explained the situation, and here's the response I got.

Hello,

I've attached instructions on how to get a replacement decal. I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Brett Leasure
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

Below is the pdf that he sent, which tells me to take it to an authorized FMIC Service Center (which I did), and was eventually told by the employee I gave the paperwork to that my request was not approved.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun May 20, 2018 5:20 pm

dren68 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:25 pm
HNB wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Brett Leasure
Scottsdale, AZ 85255

Go back to Mr Leasure, thank him for his help but tell him the crappy service you got from the authorized FMIC Service Center (name them) he told you to go through (initial request sat on, having to go back twice to find out what happened), tell him they said the request was refused by Fender (assuming they ever really sent it), and ask him "Why ?". Include pics and purchase details. I would also consider naming the tech who wrecked your decal, if only to prove the story - did he say how the hell it happened ?
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Tue May 22, 2018 5:24 pm

Absolutely go back to emailing Brett and tell him exactly what your authorized dealer said.

but first - you must:
Get it in writing.

Find out exactly why they will not replace. get any email correspondence from them, in particular any from them to fender (ordering)

Fender Australia have a bad habit of treating their dealers like pawns, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is the response you got from your USA counterpart.

Take the correspondence back to brett and light a fire under his arse. Customer service should always be priority #1.

The correct way to address an issue like this is to ensure that you are directly contacted by someone at fender who WILL resolve and CAN resolve your issue, not some bullshit customer care telephone/email psychotherapy to tell you it's your fault and nothign can be done.

No, it is their responsibility to ensure you are treated as a customer should be. Respectfully and promptly.

Without customers you don't get sales. remind them of that.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.