NGD (kind of): Charcoal Frost Metallic Thin Skin Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD (kind of): Charcoal Frost Metallic Thin Skin Jazzmaster

Post by JVG » Tue May 22, 2018 1:50 pm

Nothing against tortoiseshell, but please don't change the guard - it looks perfect just the way it is! Simple and classy.

Cheers
J.

edwardskim
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by edwardskim » Tue May 22, 2018 5:50 pm

God this thread is making me want a bound neck Jazzmaster so bad.

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Wed May 23, 2018 3:13 am

edwardskim wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:50 pm
God this thread is making me want a bound neck Jazzmaster so bad.
This has always been lurking under the skin for me. It was inevitable that this happened. Sometimes you just gotta scratch that itch...(i.e. go get one haha)

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Mon May 28, 2018 5:23 am

Update

So, I got the guitar on Monday and immediately had to go to New York until Friday. This past Friday night was really the first time I got to sit down with the guitar and since then have honestly been playing it an unhealthy amount. Added the staytrem, oiled the fretboard, changed the strings to 11's, and really concentrated on getting it setup to my liking (although it was just fine right out of the box). I've got a few things to say about this guitar.

1. The neck on this instrument is absolutely incredible. It is quite substantial and I don't have monster hands, i.e. Jaguars are really comfortable to me, but as I put the guitar through its paces, the neck just became more and more like an old glove. It is so comfortable for all playing styles and I'm surprised by how much I love it, considering I've generally preferred vintage radius and smaller necks. The binding and frets are absolutely perfect. Whether its chords or solos, this neck just feels right and I can't put it down.

2. This jazzmaster has a beautiful tone to it. I like the voice of these pickups. It is incredibly full while still not losing that top end sparkle that we all know and love. In the neck position, it has a beautiful, woody, rounded tone. The middle is playful and perfect for funk style riffs. The bridge shimmers and is great for everything from jangly, smiths pop to old country bending/chicken picken. The guitar especially comes alive when you throw a fuzz or overdrive into the mix. It cuts through while not getting too ice-picky. It sounds powerful but still musical. And, to all the naysayers out there, this jazzmaster sustains like the best of them. From articulate clean tones to balls-to-the-wall rock, the 65 jazzmaster handles it better than most guitars I've heard or played.

3. Color is perfect (CFM was the right choice) and the guitar is REALLY light. It's lighter than my johnny marr jaguar. It is very comfortable standing up as well as sitting down. No neck dive, just balanced perfectly.

Overall, you all were right, I do not regret buying this instrument at all. Instantly has passed into the "never sell" section of my guitars and will remain there for a very long time. Looks, sound, and feel really make this guitar something special, and I would encourage anyone else that is thinking about buying one of these 65 thin skins to just do it. Like me, you won't regret it one bit.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon May 28, 2018 1:04 pm

Anybody know how many in each color were produced? Very curious to know where my thing sits in terms of ‘rarity’ or whatever

peterjh85
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterjh85 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:52 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:04 pm
Anybody know how many in each color were produced? Very curious to know where my thing sits in terms of ‘rarity’ or whatever
I don't think there is a super limited aspect to these thin skin JM's. In my conversations with the great team at Wildwood, they seem to have more on order, so it leads me to believe it's not just a single order or single run.
My Offsets:
Fender Cyclone - 1x Vintage White, 1x Pewter
Fender Mod Shop Jazzmaster - Fiesta Red

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon May 28, 2018 3:28 pm

How long ago was that, though? I don’t really understand or know anything about Fender’s inner dealings, but it seems like them continuing to produce a discontinued line of guitars, let alone with special spec changes, all for a single guitar shop would make these guitars custom shop offerings

I don’t think they’re going to exist past what they’ve already put on the website honestly. I never thought of keeping count but I would be surprised if it were more than 20 in each color.

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Mon May 28, 2018 4:06 pm

Happy NGD! Glad you're loving it so much. I'd love a CFM 65 reissue but don't have the money to shell out on one - however, I did snag a stupid good deal on an Olympic White 65 reissue that's on it's way to me this week, so that'll have to hold me over for now. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Also trying to save to buy a vintage parts jazzmaster off a friend that's been refinned poorly in olympic white, so maybe I'll have it redone in CFM and get my fix that way.

Enjoy it!

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Tue May 29, 2018 6:39 am

HNGD!

i'll echo the chorus of those who love CFM...

as for the discussion of serial numbers...by 62 TS's serial number begins with SE
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Tue May 29, 2018 12:23 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:04 pm
I would guess around 50 per colour per run.

Congrats - they are fantastic. I have the ltd run that Fender did with the usual specs in Firemist Silver. I got it in mint condition used and the only changes are are a Staytrem bridge and trem collet/arm which the previous owner had done.

Mine isn't a particularly light example but it is a great instrument -- very very close to the real 1965 in LPB I had a while back. The neck is pretty identical as is the weight and sound. I really think Fender nailed it on the 65s. Same story with the '64 Tele reissue having owned both real and reissue from same era.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue May 29, 2018 3:56 pm

I just called and asked and yes, it’s 50 of each color. A lot more than I thought there would be honestly. I also asked if they plan to do more and he said yes but they haven’t decided what to do yet but that they’d be out around November or December. I should have but didn’t clarify if that meant specifically more AV65 Jazzmasters, or just more Thin Skin runs in general, but I really hope it’s the Jazzmasters because these guitars disappearing from the face of the earth (as new, able-to-buy items anyway) would be a damn shame.

I still stand by my previous comment that if they keep making runs of these they’re pretty much Custom Shop Guitars. I wonder what colors will be next?! I’m a metallic nerd but would acknowledge that we’ve been spoiled with all the releases so far. I always thought my dream color was Lake Placid Blue but this Ocean Turquoise is like a perfect version of what I think of when I think LPB do scratch that one. If it were up to me, it’d still be amazing to snag one in Sherwood, but I wouldn’t be upset if they took it easy on the metallics and went with like, Dakota Red, Sea Foam Green, Fiesta Red, Black, and Shell Pink. Any of those would be amazing.

Sorry for the long post. I got excited after talking to them and confirming that actually yes, these guitars will go down as a rare, special thing, even more so than they already are to me anyway.

peterjh85
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peterjh85 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:16 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:56 pm
I just called and asked and yes, it’s 50 of each color. A lot more than I thought there would be honestly. I also asked if they plan to do more and he said yes but they haven’t decided what to do yet but that they’d be out around November or December. I should have but didn’t clarify if that meant specifically more AV65 Jazzmasters, or just more Thin Skin runs in general, but I really hope it’s the Jazzmasters because these guitars disappearing from the face of the earth (as new, able-to-buy items anyway) would be a damn shame.

I still stand by my previous comment that if they keep making runs of these they’re pretty much Custom Shop Guitars. I wonder what colors will be next?! I’m a metallic nerd but would acknowledge that we’ve been spoiled with all the releases so far. I always thought my dream color was Lake Placid Blue but this Ocean Turquoise is like a perfect version of what I think of when I think LPB do scratch that one. If it were up to me, it’d still be amazing to snag one in Sherwood, but I wouldn’t be upset if they took it easy on the metallics and went with like, Dakota Red, Sea Foam Green, Fiesta Red, Black, and Shell Pink. Any of those would be amazing.

Sorry for the long post. I got excited after talking to them and confirming that actually yes, these guitars will go down as a rare, special thing, even more so than they already are to me anyway.
Thanks for investigating that for us. I'm with you...it would be hard to pass up a non metallic color like Fiesta Red! These are really great guitars...Just got a set of Novak JM-90's in the mail today to toss into the CFM JM. Never been a huge fan of stock pickups...I like mids :)
My Offsets:
Fender Cyclone - 1x Vintage White, 1x Pewter
Fender Mod Shop Jazzmaster - Fiesta Red

johnnyx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by johnnyx » Wed May 30, 2018 10:26 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:56 pm
If it were up to me, it’d still be amazing to snag one in Sherwood, but I wouldn’t be upset if they took it easy on the metallics and went with like, Dakota Red, Sea Foam Green, Fiesta Red, Black, and Shell Pink. Any of those would be amazing.

So basically you're looking to get a color from the original '62 Thin Skin run (minus black and dakota)...I don't imagine Fender would re-do those colors in this run just because well, they did them already. But that's just my opinion.

Unrelated: I sold a '62 Burgundy Mist and Fiesta Red Thin Skins to fund the CFM '65 purchase....I miss them but don't really regret the move. The '65 TS is great on it's own.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed May 30, 2018 5:15 pm

No I’m not trying to get one, I’m just saying they would look good and be interesting considering the fact that all of them so far have been metallics and those others were for a different guitar and perhaps most importantly Fender doesn’t just decide what to put out - they’re custom ordered by Wildwood, so they’re the ones who decide what the colors are for these guitars.

Those colors are just the most interesting non-metallic colors to me. Seems like if they’re gonna do it they might as well go a semi-different way.