Comparing Duncan JM Pups

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Jet Age Eric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Comparing Duncan JM Pups

Post by Jet Age Eric » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:31 am

I apologize if I'm misusing the search function, but I haven't found this topic: Has anyone mapped out/compared the specs of the various Duncan JM pickups (Squier, Blacktop, Antiquities)? Thanks! -E

Iheartreverb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Comparing Duncan JM Pups

Post by Iheartreverb » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:22 pm

What are you asking for here? A comparison of Seymour Duncan or the different Fender options available?(otherwise why would you mention Squier/ Blacktop).

Seymour Duncan’s website offers a fairly decent comparison, there’s also a really long and useful thread here of probably every option available
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =7&t=33614

Jet Age Eric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jet Age Eric » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:48 pm

Thanks! I was looking for a comparison of Duncans, something like the thread you linked to, but just on Duncan-designed and built JM pickups (I thought the Blacktop neck pups were Duncans). I realize there may not be such a thing, but I figured if there was, it would be here. I agree that Duncan site is helpful, but it's hardly unbiased ( and I don't think it covers the pickups they build for Fender and Squier). ;) -E
Iheartreverb wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:22 pm
What are you asking for here? A comparison of Seymour Duncan or the different Fender options available?(otherwise why would you mention Squier/ Blacktop).

Seymour Duncan’s website offers a fairly decent comparison, there’s also a really long and useful thread here of probably every option available
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =7&t=33614

Iheartreverb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Iheartreverb » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:05 am

Yeah, then Duncan site isn’t unbiased but they were in effect of the top tier in aftermarket pickups prior to the boutique boom a few years ago. The site at least gives an overview of how each pickup performs. Loads of people still swear by Antiquities.
blacktops had what is known as “dragster” pickups which aren’t looked upon favourably.
I think it’s easier to forget about any Squiers even having Duncan’s as “Duncan designed” are no better than any other mid priced aftermarket option, they aren’t made by Seymour Duncan directly as far as I know, happy to be corrected on this if that’s the case.