Danelectro 64 - Mosrite "homage"

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
enricosonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Danelectro 64 - Mosrite "homage"

Post by enricosonic » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Sonichris wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:28 pm
enricosonic wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:40 am

BTW - though I was skeptical at first, the zero frets on these really are helpful with regard to intonation and overall tuning. Any g-string compromises are all but eradicated.
Can you elaborate? How is a zero fret different than a traditional nut in regards to intonation?
Oh I don't know really, it's that just while watching reviews of the guitar, a couple of reviewers mentioned that a zero fret, while originally used on inexpensive guitars to put less emphasis on crafting a perfect nut (since the strings rest on the zero fret) aids in tuning stability on the lower end of the fretboard and higher end guitars are using them more (I have not seen this). It also lowers the action, which is obvious and should aid tuning-wise as well. Maybe that's the biggest reason actually.

I always associated zero frets with crappy low end '60s guitars (that I used to peruse pawn ships for) but this guitar surprised me with its great tuning stability, so I thought... maybe they're right. It's a great player and is uncanny in staying in a sweet spot tuning-wise.

Just wish it didn't have a BIgsby.

niksureal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niksureal » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:24 pm

DesmondWafers wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:28 pm
What's the trem on there? I've always wanted a hallmark, but these are much cheaper and I can't stand the bigsby on these.
moslike. you can find them on reverb and ebay. ive owned a hallmark and i think the moslikes are better (and cheaper than the stand alone hallmark vibrato). but as far as price goes... a hallmark is 1k and the dano is 800. the moslike is 65-85 depending which version you get. the neck/body of a hallmark is way better. the savings are minimal and youre taking a quality hit with the dano. the only reason i have the dano, or rather, 3 of them, is that i was working at a guitar shop and was getting them at cost.

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:09 pm

Yeah, I was kind of factoring in used prices ( I imagine the danos are going to be like $4-500 eventually), but if there's that much of a difference, I'll hold off. Hallmarks rarely come up for sale, unfortunately. When they do, it's always some crazy america color scheme, I just want a sunburst.