New Offset... 'Original' 60s Jazzmaster vs AmPro

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New Offset... 'Original' 60s Jazzmaster vs AmPro

Post by station_2_station » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:07 am

Pretty straightforward just really torn between the two I have played them both. Any input on the AVRI replacements I.E. Original 60s.
I feel like the neck would be restrictive on the 60s for leads, but am very much torn this will be my first JM. I'm not tone chasing as my tastes vary from Sonic Youth to Zappa... Am I making the right choice here?

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Offset... 'Original' 60s Jazzmaster vs AmPro

Post by daysleeperjeff » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:31 am

Why do you think leads on the 60’s would be more difficult than on an Am Pro? They both have 9.5 radius neck with similar neck shapes.

The American Pro has that Soft Satin finish on the back of the neck that I like a bit more but the American Original neck feels incredible too!

I have the Ocean Turquoise American Original and a Mystic Seafoam American Professional. I’ve thought about this and I feel overall the AO is the higher quality, better crafted guitar of the 2...but only by a small margin. Both are nothing short of amazing. The best reissued Jazzmasters I’ve personally ever played, and I’ve been playing JM’s exclusively since around 1996. I’m also not a vintage guitar guy. I like new guitars.

Anyway both of these guitars have very different tonal possibilities which is why I wanted them both. For the album I am recording they have given me a wide range of sounds to explore.

I have found that both are equally easy to play leads on. I had a AVRI 62 reissue that I now find was harder for me to play overall with the 7.25 radius, thinner neck. I am definitely a 9.5 guy now and I won’t go back. These “modern” player guitars are definitely my thing.

The AO is lighter and more resinant than the AMPRO which is the big advantage the AO has. It vibrates like a tuning fork!

The Advantage the AMPRO has, in my opinion is the neck. It’s just so smooth and fun to play, but this is only an advantage by a smaller margin as the AO has a great neck too, beautiful soft rosewood with the binding...looks so classy!

If you forced me to keep one I’d go with the American Original, but both are top quality.

northernlights
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northernlights » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:50 pm

Hello. I've got both. First off all, if you go with am pro, there is nothing to change or modify on it. I've got silverburst fsr model btw. the new bridge is really good, no buzz no rattles no string jump etc. feel, sound and modern features like truss rod and micro tilt is very very good. Pickups are really good, i didnt expect that. On the otherwise, american original 60's are classic jm's. I got awesome turquaise blue. but finish is very very fragile, it's stripped already. the neck feels good, but i like the am pro's neck profile and feel more than am originals. moreover, the stock bridge is piece of ..... i've done and tried everything but nothing made me happy with it. you need to buy mastery or staytrem if you go with am originals jm.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:20 pm

northernlights wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:50 pm
Hello. I've got both. First off all, if you go with am pro, there is nothing to change or modify on it. I've got silverburst fsr model btw. the new bridge is really good, no buzz no rattles no string jump etc. feel, sound and modern features like truss rod and micro tilt is very very good. Pickups are really good, i didnt expect that. On the otherwise, american original 60's are classic jm's. I got awesome turquaise blue. but finish is very very fragile, it's stripped already. the neck feels good, but i like the am pro's neck profile and feel more than am originals. moreover, the stock bridge is piece of ..... i've done and tried everything but nothing made me happy with it. you need to buy mastery or staytrem if you go with am originals jm.
You mentioned this about your finish before. I have the same model as you and have not experienced any wear to my finish whatsoever. I wonder if there was a flaw in your paint job?

Also my bridge was 100% fine. Some slight, almost unnoticeable buzz at first but I was able to fix it. I ended up putting a Staytrem in but I am considering going back.

I do agree with you that the AMPRO neck is superior. Just an addictive neck to play!

station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by station_2_station » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it, yeah I'm definitley still torn but I think at the price point the AmPro is going to not just do more but the Pickups look more suited for what they're worth, can always swap them. Good to clear that the neck radius is the same, I would have thought with he Original they would go with the 7 radi, so good call pointing that out!