NGD Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster, ultimately very nice

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster, letdown, turnaround

Post by Larsongs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:10 pm

bacca51 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:16 pm
Good on em. If the Squier Deluxe is truly just a rebranded J Mascis then i'm its going to be a great guitar right out of the new box.
While my J Mascis is a good Guitar it wasn't great out of the Box. It needed a serious Set Up! It's probably a bit optimistic to think otherwise.

Glad you worked it out!

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:11 pm

bacca51 wrote:
Good on em. If the Squier Deluxe is truly just a rebranded J Mascis then i'm its going to be a great guitar right out of the new box.
While my J Mascis is a good Guitar it wasn't great out of the Box. It needed a serious Set Up! As did everyone I've ever seen or played. It's probably a bit optimistic to think otherwise.

Glad you worked it out!

bacca51
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacca51 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:33 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:10 pm
bacca51 wrote:
While my J Mascis is a good Guitar it wasn't great out of the Box. It needed a serious Set Up! It's probably a bit optimistic to think otherwise.

Glad you worked it out!
Forsure, I was actually referring to “out of the box” in terms of not modding anything.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 am

bacca51 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:33 pm
Larsongs wrote:
bacca51 wrote:

Glad you worked it out!
Forsure, I was actually referring to “out of the box” in terms of not modding anything.
This actually baffles me but I remember there was a pretty heated argument somewhere else on the forum a couple months ago which was that some people apparently expect a guitar to be perfectly set up out of the box.

I mean it's been through a lot of shipping to get to your doorstep, even if the folks at your retailer set it up for you there's still a couple of days in a truck. I understand some guitars *do* make it through shipping relatively set up, I just can't see how not being perfectly set up after shipping is in any way indicative of its quality.

Digital Larry
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Digital Larry » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:05 am

Actually the one I got wasn't bad! Which made me a widdle sad that the pickup was borked. I did get my setup ruler and radius gauges from Stew Mac so I hope I'm ready to tweak the next one if necessary.

Digital Larry
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Digital Larry » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:11 am

bacca51 wrote:
I'm fairly sure the differences are:

a) Slightly less hot/midrangey pickups than the JMJM (which is the main reason I went for the Deluxe over the JMJM)
b) Red vs. white (I actually wanted blue but hey)
c) Medium jumbo vs. jumbo frets (no opinion, I have several different guitars and I could not tell you what kind of frets they have nor which ones I prefer)

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:17 pm

601210 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 am
bacca51 wrote:
Larsongs wrote:

Glad you worked it out!
This actually baffles me but I remember there was a pretty heated argument somewhere else on the forum a couple months ago which was that some people apparently expect a guitar to be perfectly set up out of the box.

I mean it's been through a lot of shipping to get to your doorstep, even if the folks at your retailer set it up for you there's still a couple of days in a truck. I understand some guitars *do* make it through shipping relatively set up, I just can't see how not being perfectly set up after shipping is in any way indicative of its quality.
Many Stores don't even. Set Up new Guitars for their in Store Stock anymore or even bother to tune them. They throw them on the rack & expect people to lay down & buy them.

A Guitar that's shipped could be a little out & need some fine Tuniing. I've bought about 30 New Guitars that were shipped to me. None were in need of the drastic Set Ups that Squier VMJM's required.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:17 pm
601210 wrote:
bacca51 wrote:

Many Stores don't even Set Up new Guitars for their in Store Stock anymore or even bother to tune them. They throw them on the rack & expect people to lay down & buy them.

A Guitar that's shipped could be a little out & need some fine Tuniing. I've bought about 30 New Guitars in all price ranges up to $4,000.00 that were shipped to me. None were in need of the drastic Set Ups, Shims etc. that Squier VMJM's required.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:21 pm

Larsongs wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:20 pm
Larsongs wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:17 pm
601210 wrote:

Many Stores don't even Set Up new Guitars for their in Store Stock anymore or even bother to tune them. They throw them on the rack & expect people to lay down & buy them.

A Guitar that's shipped could be a little out & need some fine Tuning. I've bought about 30 New Guitars in all price ranges up to $4,000.00 that were shipped to me. None were in need of the drastic Set Ups, Shims etc. that Squier VMJM's required.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:56 am

honestly, ive tried a few of the squier deluxe jazzmasters and think new, they are way better value than the vm jazzmasters. saying that, the factory setup was awful.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Digital Larry
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: NGD Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster, letdown, arghh

Post by Digital Larry » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:48 pm

I got the replacement new Deluxe Jazzmaster today and the high E string started unraveling at the bridge end. I tuned it up initially and strummed it a few times and wiggled the bar up and down and something went bzzDOink and that was the end of it. The string didn't out and out break until later. It just kept stretching and I thought it was the tuner but it's just the string... I'll take this oppty to put 10s on it.

:whistle:

[some time later]

OK, first impressions time! Wow, this is a nice guitar. OK, it does not hold a tune like my Steinberger. I'm not gigging and I don't really care. Nice finish on the neck, much nicer (to me) than gloss finish necks. I never paid that much attention before, but I really prefer the satin neck finish.

Vibrato arm is nicer than the Squier Strat. I'll have to compare it more closely to the Bigsby type on my Guild/Dearmond (which weighs a ton but has lots of sustain and a very sweet clean sound).

Messed around with the various settings. Rhythm mode isn't even that bad, I can imagine doing bass lines like that with it muffled. Only lead mode bridge with tone wide open threatened to get a bit too brash. neck and middle positions really sweet.

I'm way happier than I was two hours ago when I though the tuner was broken!

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster, letdown, arghh, new string

Post by 601210 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:59 pm

I think I read it here somewhere but if you put it on the rhythm circuit with the tone dialled all the way down, it makes it really easy for a tuner pedal to track.

Digital Larry
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Digital Larry » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:07 am

601210 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:59 pm
I think I read it here somewhere but if you put it on the rhythm circuit with the tone dialled all the way down, it makes it really easy for a tuner pedal to track.
Not sure if this is what you meant - I have a Korg rack tuner which works pretty well, tone wide open or not. I will try your suggestion in any event since better tuning makes for happier me.

When I first pulled the guitar out of the box and was trying it out, I thought the high E tuning peg was broken/slipping but it was the high E string unravelling and slipping at the bottom. I called this "the tuner" in my post because I was a doofus. :blush: In 35 years of playing the guitar I don't think I've ever seen a string fail that way. :derp:

gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusgorman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:51 am

Digital Larry wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:54 pm
I know you're all on the edge of your seats about this... I'm sending it back and they'll send me a new one. I really did play up the pain and suffering angle, not only for me and my family, but for all the people that are going to miss seeing me play it at the 19 or 20 gigs I have lined up this weekend. They capitulated and said they'd have the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders deliver it ASAP and bring a case of beer and hang out for awhile while they're at it why not?

I understand wanting to mod it and maybe I will some day but I wanted to start with one that just worked as it was. I have way too many other things going on.
;D ;D ;D

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:48 am

Digital Larry wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:07 am
601210 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:59 pm
Not sure if this is what you meant - I have a Korg rack tuner which works pretty well, tone wide open or not. I will try your suggestion in any event since better tuning makes for happier me.

When I first pulled the guitar out of the box and was trying it out, I thought the high E tuning peg was broken/slipping but it was the high E string unravelling and slipping at the bottom. I called this "the tuner" in my post because I was a doofus. :blush: In 35 years of playing the guitar I don't think I've ever seen a string fail that way. :derp:
Had the same problem with the Mascis JM EVEN AFTER replacing the bridge and trem. I guess it’s a pretty common thing to have happen and everyone says Fender Bullits solve the issue