American Pro Jazzmaster and Pickups...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
cuethenoise
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

American Pro Jazzmaster and Pickups...

Post by cuethenoise » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:44 am

So I have had an American Pro Jazzmaster in Mystic Seafoam for about 6 months now. I love the way the guitar plays, but I think the pickups can be thin sounding especially with cleans. I've tried playing with compression (fender the bends) and it helps a bit, but I think I am just not that excited by the pickups.

So I have done a little research on the v-mod pickups in there and have heard everything from they are "strat like" to basically p90s with a huge mid push. I think I want to upgrade to something more jazzmastery or something that is actually p90ish. I have a Epiphone Sheraton with p-rails in it and the v-mods sound nothing like the p90 on that guitar for sure. Its loud and drives the amp to a nice breakup. Feels like double the output.

That being said if I go classic jazzmaster I'm thinking the: Duncan Antiquity I (not the II as they sound too bright too me) or if I go more rock the Classic Player Jazzmaster Pups (apparently p90s), Duncan Quarter Pounders or Lollar p-90s. What do you guys think? In the end I just want something thicker for cleans and able to play with gain nicely.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: American Pro Jazzmaster and Pickups...

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:55 am

I've got Novak jm-v (neck) and jm-90 (bridge) in my parts JM. The p90 in the bridge balances great with the jazzmaster p'up in the neck.

cuethenoise
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cuethenoise » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:35 am

That sounds like a decent combo. Most of my rhythm is on the bridge pup so a p90 would be nice there and the more vintage correct tone on the neck. To get equal volume did he wind the jm-v extra hot? The neck pickup has to super low already to balance out volume wise so I'd be worried there since the p90 would be way hotter.

cuethenoise
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cuethenoise » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:39 am

Also are those hum cancelling in the middle position?