Squier VM Jazzmaster VS Squier VM Jazzmaster Hardtail

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
legionofbananas
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Squier VM Jazzmaster VS Squier VM Jazzmaster Hardtail

Post by legionofbananas » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:17 am

I was planning to buy VM Jazzmaster, but recently came across a hardtail Squier JM which has tremolo installed, with mustang bridge and buzzstop. It's about 100$ cheaper. So basically they are almost the same, with the difference being lack of rhythm circuit and tonewoods. I can install the rhythm circuit myself, so the only thing i have to worry about is wood. Formerly hardtail one is alder, and standard VM is basswood. I know that alder is superior tonewood but squier is supposedly made of 3 or 4 pieces. Is basswood body worth 100$ or could the multi piece alder be even better?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier VM Jazzmaster VS Squier VM Jazzmaster Hardtail

Post by Embenny » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:03 am

Play both, take whichever you like. The bridge on the VM Hardtail was the weak link IMO, so if it has a properly-installed Mustang vibrato, that'd be pretty cool. See which one feels/sounds better to you and go with that. I don't like heavily-finished maple necks, so the hardtail would be out for me, but you may prefer it.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

legionofbananas
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by legionofbananas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 am

Hardtail has properly installed jazzmaster vibrato with mustang bridge. Sadly, i can only try out hardtail one. I dislike heavily finished maple neck as well but i like the feel of bare wood so sanding it down will make it work. Another option is building it from parts. I found pretty decent piece ash/poplar bodies on ebay and am considering buying it.

legionofbananas
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by legionofbananas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:50 am

Hardtail has properly installed jazzmaster vibrato with mustang bridge. Sadly, i can only try out hardtail one. I dislike heavily finished maple neck as well but i like the feel of bare wood so sanding it down will make it work. Another option is building it from parts. I found pretty decent piece ash/poplar bodies on ebay and am considering buying it.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:00 am

I like the hardtail because I like hardtail guitars. Nothing wrong with the tremolo one. I like the HH's neck better because VM's are kind of orangy looking. I also don't like single coil pickups very much because of the noise issues that come with them.

But about you. :)

It sounds like with what you want, the VM is better because it has the features you want. There is nothing wrong with basswood as a tonewood. It is softer than alder, but in an electric guitar, the difference in sound isn't hugely different. Mascis uses his Squier sig on stage and it isn't like he has to worry about budget. Loads of well known guitarist have used basswood guitars. Some people even prefer them to alder. It is personal preference. I think in an electric guitar, the pickups, bridge, nut, tuners, wiring, and tremolo have a bigger impact on sound than the type of wood those are attached to. It is all about what works best for you though.

I wouldn't take an HH and do all that filling, routing, and such just to get an alder body Jazzy. Might as well just buy a Jazzy body and do a partsmaster to get those things and save a bunch of time and effort. At around $135 or so for a alder body, I would think you could get exactly what you want without breaking the bank.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars