CME Exclusive Lake Placid Blue Classic Player JM

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: CME Exclusive Lake Placid Blue Classic Player JM

Post by 46346 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:45 am

sirspens wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:45 pm
BulletLee wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:27 pm
CME you make life difficult! I love the color AND they used PV65's instead of the standard CP pickups! This is for sure my dream color on a JM... I have an Olympic White and I love the changes made, sure the TOM isn't a Mastery but it works!! No Problems.
Yeah. I planned on buying two guitars this year. A 60th Anniversary Jazzmaster and a Doheny.

This has me seriously rethinking my plans.
if this is anything like the other CP's i've played, it can't touch the Doheny for quality and playability. it will be interesting to see how it compares with the forthcoming Tribute Doheny, which may be a couple hundred dollars less than this.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:54 am

46346 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:45 am
sirspens wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:45 pm
BulletLee wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:27 pm
CME you make life difficult! I love the color AND they used PV65's instead of the standard CP pickups! This is for sure my dream color on a JM... I have an Olympic White and I love the changes made, sure the TOM isn't a Mastery but it works!! No Problems.
Yeah. I planned on buying two guitars this year. A 60th Anniversary Jazzmaster and a Doheny.

This has me seriously rethinking my plans.
if this is anything like the other CP's i've played, it can't touch the Doheny for quality and playability. it will be interesting to see how it compares with the forthcoming Tribute Doheny, which may be a couple hundred dollars less than this.
Oh, it was NOT the Doheny that has come into question.

I am also waiting for the Tribute Doheny, though, to see how it compares with the American made.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:25 am

...and it's still early in the year... ;-)
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

Hotraman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hotraman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:54 am

I'm new to the world of Jazzmasters and I ordered this guitar, because of the color! ;D

I own a few others:
Gretsch Black Falcon
1983 Gibson 335
Fender Nashville Tele B bender
Fender La Cabronita. among others.

Looking forward to adding a Jazzmaster to my guitar roster.

Appreciate all POV's.

Horax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Horax » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:12 am

this is why we can buy magic markers at the store for 0.50. Color in the pau ferro to look like rosewood.
When in doubt, listen to the Ventures.

Drewbertca
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Drewbertca » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:13 pm

I've always liked tbe lookof pau ferro. Haven't played any guitars with that fretboard wood in forever. Never owned one. But if I had the skills to build a VI neck, a pau ferro board with a cool grain pattern would be going on it....I like boards that are darker than maple and that have cool patterns in the grain. Kind of makes a guitar one of a kind even if it is mass produced. A board that has a colour that is to homogenous is kind of boring to me...

6AM
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by 6AM » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Man, people with their neck materials... I don't get it. I have guitars with rosewood, maple, ebony, and baked maple. I object to richlite out of princple, but that's probably fine, too. Honestly, the brand of string matters more to the playing feel of the neck than the wood the fretboard is made out of.

LBx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LBx » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Horax wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:12 am
this is why we can buy magic markers at the store for 0.50. Color in the pau ferro to look like rosewood.
Loads of options to ''fix'' this, ya? Mineral oil even? Or would the finish repel it?

I'm somewhat holding out on grabbing a rosewood 60's Lacquer neck to build around but the former would be fine if I could darken it a bit on the cheap.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:46 pm

6AM wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:40 pm
Man, people with their neck materials... I don't get it. I have guitars with rosewood, maple, ebony, and baked maple. I object to richlite out of princple, but that's probably fine, too. Honestly, the brand of string matters more to the playing feel of the neck than the wood the fretboard is made out of.
People must have super low frets or fat fingers to feel the fretboard wood and be able to notice a difference from other wood. Or hyper-sensitive. All I feel is strings up against fret wire
Last edited by Futuron on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Most Pau Ferro boards look so close to my CIJ JM that I wonder if that's not what it actually has. The Japanese rosewood of the CIJ's was always very light and dry, and not in a particularly pleasing way like whatever's on the AV65's, which is also dry and light but with a much more attractive combo of colors. But some fretboard oil has darkened and moistened up my CIJ board to where it's now almost as dark as my AVRI, and not as oddly greased-up feeling.

So, I don't think these Pau Ferro boards are beyond hope if you don't like them as they are.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:25 pm

I find the placement of the vibrato on these to look very odd, but the CP Jazzmaster is an EXCELLENT guitar as far as playability and tone. Great guitars.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Beyer160
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beyer160 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 am

Futuron wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:46 pm
People must have super low frets or fat fingers to feel the fretboard wood and be able to notice a difference from other wood. Or hyper-sensitive. All I feel is strings up against fret wire
I seriously doubt many of us on this board could tell the difference between maple, ebony, rosewood or pallet wood in a blind test. My problem with Fender's new Pau Ferro fretboards is purely aesthetic. Some might say this is nit picking, but everybody has their own preferences on body color and I think the neck color is just as important to the aesthetics of the instrument. Not many of us would want to play a neon yellow Jazzmaster with David Hasselhoff's on it, I look at these light brown Pau Ferro boards the same way.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Beyer160 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 am
I seriously doubt many of us on this board could tell the difference between maple, ebony, rosewood or pallet wood in a blind test.
Oh I can easily tell. Yes, I have big fingertips, to the point that it's actually difficult for me a lot of the time to not fret two strings at once with one fingertip. In between, I feel the wood. I also feel it on any bend, of course. I can't say I'd be able to tell rosewood from ebony blind, but rosewood from maple? Hell yes. AVRI rosewood from Pau Ferro? Almost definitely yes. They're very different in terms of feel.

But I can't say I really *prefer* the feel of one over another. I can easily feel the difference, I just don't think it really matters much. On songs with a lot of bending, I guess I probably prefer maple. But it still isn't the overriding factor in how I choose a guitar. There are other things that are more important to me. But I can certainly understand how it might be a big deal for some other people, given that I can feel it. So I'm sure others can too.

I don't think looks are or should be off limits for criticism either, though. I mean, they paint guitars for a reason, and how many threads have we had on tort pickguards? The fretboard is just part of the overall look of the guitar. Some people want a really dark fretboard, some people don't care. Neither position is right or wrong, it's just preference. Some people like red guitars, some like blue. One person's not correct and the other an idiot. They are just different people.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:18 pm

Beyer160 wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 am
My problem with Fender's new Pau Ferro fretboards is purely aesthetic.
Sure. I was really only referring to his statement about people disliking pau-ferro for its feel. I acknowledge that the colour might be a turn-off for some, but was ignoring that aspect of the discussion at the time.

Personally I don't like the look of maple fretboards as much. (Electric guitars are the only instrument I can think of that have them - and I think it looks weird in general) I respect that others have different taste in that regard too.

Hotraman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hotraman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:04 am

Mine just arrived from CME this past Monday.
Its the Lake Placid Blue model.
Its my first Jazzmaster that Ive ever owned.

My guitars are: Gretsch Black Falcon, MIA Nashville Tele B bender, 1983 Gibson 335 dot and a PRS 277 SE baritone.
In addition I own a Rittenberry SD 10 pedal steel and a 8 string lap steel. No boasting intended, I'm listing those guitars
as I measure the Jazzmaster to them.

1) It came from CME, setup very well and ready to play. No intonation issues at all ( which is a big thing for me)
2) It does have a lot of Telecaster tones ( I was a bit surprised ... but in a good way)
3) I love the blue color.. and the Pau fretboard doesn't bother me.
4.) I have no issues with the tremolo and Im not planning on replacing it at the moment

Ive played the guitar through my Jazzkat Tomkat and Boss Katana head / cab.
Its a bit noisy ... but it could be the room / amp setups I am using.
I've played a classic Jazzmaster at my local GC.. and was not impressed.
But this guitar from CME .. has been awesome!

Its true ... the tremolo is finicky at time ... but a Bigsby can be, too. I plan to sit tight before I think about mods.