Cobain Jaguar Head Stock

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Cobain Jaguar Head Stock

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:27 am

OutToDrift wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:57 am
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:56 pm
Pacafeliz wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:19 am

...I ask myself, WHY would they not get it "right"? I mean, they copied the scratches and dings, WHY not the neck shape?

The Jagstang DID have the exact copy of his fav neck, though. At least that what we've been told...
Mostly because they wanted to use their Adjustomatic bridge. That's why the fretboard is wrong. They did the same thing with his signature mustang. His touring mustangs were 7.25" radius rather than 9.5". They also made the nut wider. So that is a valid question, why would they not get the mustangs right? After all there is a video of them taking measurements on two of his guitars. Reality is, it's marketing. In terms of the jaguar, how many fender players out there prefer super thin necks? Most seem to gravitate toward a medium C. Kurt's name definitely carries some weight, but there are people who are going to buy it for his name sake and people who are going to play it. At the end of the day, they want to please both parties.

As for the Jagstang, you were fed a marketing gimmick. Both the Jagstang prototypes featured an MG-69 neck made in Japan by Scott Zimmerman, who was the same guy who made the 10 Mustangs that Kurt ordered before the In Utero tours. The Jagstang necks shipped with Skystang II and III. Fender didn't even use the same shape as the Red prototype for the Jagstang. They definitely gave it a thinner neck as well.
Are you saying that the Cobain Signature Mustangs have a 9.5 radius when they were listed to have a 7.25 radius?
I'm saying I've seen both.

OutToDrift
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by OutToDrift » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:33 am

Weird. I have only seen the Cobain Mustang advertised with a 7.25 radius.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:51 pm

That is interesting. I have 2 KC mustang necks (1 on the original guitar, and 1 that i put on a jag), and they are both 7.25”

Regarding the use of flatter fretboards, i’m not sure if Fender would do this to better match the bridge, or because that’s what they assume the ‘modern’ guitarist wants. After all, they regularly produce reissues and custom shop Fenders which are reasonably accurate renditions of 50s/60s models except that they put 9.5” fretboards on them.

J