Vintage vs Reissue vs small builder

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Chew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Vintage vs Reissue vs small builder

Post by Chew » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:51 am

I’m looking for ideas and suggestions for my situation.

If you had ~ $3k to spend would you A) Buy a Fender reissue and upgrade hardware as needed B) have something built by Danocaster or Creston or another small builder or C) add another $1500-2k to that and buy a pre-cbs refin?

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Vintage vs Reissue vs small builder

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:57 am

Bilt Relevator with every possible upgrade and have money left over

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:02 am

vintage v. boutique, name brand v. "parts" or "custom".

I'd say it depends on whether you care about colors/features/hardware/condition. Can you play the guitar before you buy it? Are you interested in historical or resale value?

I just finished a parts guitar, which I put together because I could choose what I wanted without having to "upgrade" or "mod" anything. As much as I'd love to own a vintage Fender, if I had that much money I would get a luthier to make me something to my own tastes and specifications. If you have the money, there is no way someone can't build you something as good as a Fender. If you disagree, there's custom shop as well. Vintage is awesome, but there's no magic to it, they just made some good guitars. I'd rather have a guitar look and feel how I like, with all my desired hardware and pickups, then to have something nice and old that I wish I could change.

No one in my life is going to give a shit if my guitar is a vintage Fender, or whether the paint is original or refin, and I don't either. You might, though, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Beyer160
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beyer160 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:08 am

D) Add less than $1K and find a good '70s Fender, Jazzmasters didn't seem to suffer as badly from '70s shittiness as their other instruments. Probably because most of the ones you see were made before '74- they didn't make many during the latter half of the decade.

dm_cambridge_ma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dm_cambridge_ma » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:13 am

I would always lean towards something you can play first. There have been guitars that made me drool online that did nothing for me in person. Personally, neck carve makes a big difference to me. At least with a Fender, swapping the neck is always an option.
Acoustic resonance, too, since I don't get to plug in that much.

Chew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chew » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:17 pm

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:02 am
vintage v. boutique, name brand v. "parts" or "custom".

I'd say it depends on whether you care about colors/features/hardware/condition. Can you play the guitar before you buy it? Are you interested in historical or resale value?

I just finished a parts guitar, which I put together because I could choose what I wanted without having to "upgrade" or "mod" anything. As much as I'd love to own a vintage Fender, if I had that much money I would get a luthier to make me something to my own tastes and specifications. If you have the money, there is no way someone can't build you something as good as a Fender. If you disagree, there's custom shop as well. Vintage is awesome, but there's no magic to it, they just made some good guitars. I'd rather have a guitar look and feel how I like, with all my desired hardware and pickups, then to have something nice and old that I wish I could change.

No one in my life is going to give a shit if my guitar is a vintage Fender, or whether the paint is original or refin, and I don't either. You might, though, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

If I go with a vintage guitar, it will be a player. I can’t afford, and honestly have no interest in, a museum piece.

Honestly, I’m really down to just a Danocaster, Creston, or a pre-cbs “player” (refin, refret, etc).

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:14 pm

I would say go for dano and get an awesome guitar with great fretwork, finishing, electronics, etc. in the color you want. If it doesn't mean that much, why pay way more for a "player". Unless you find a deal on something you can play in person and confirm is awesome. I doubt you'd keep dreaming of vintage once the Dano was delivered

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:16 pm

I'd go custom and get exactly what I want.
This is an excellent rectangle

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:29 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:16 pm
I'd go custom and get exactly what I want.
Same. I personally wouldn't go Dano, because I can't pay for something pre-worn if I'm buying it new. Danos seem excellent, but my dream guitar would come to me shiny and new

drella3507
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by drella3507 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:02 pm

I just got a custom shop, not really into binding on the necks without the block inlays, so couldn't bring myself to pick up an AV65 or one of the new American Originals. Try out a few custom shop jazzmasters if you can.
[imgImage[/img]

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:10 pm

I would (and did) go Dano over vintage. I had a couple vintage guitars, but sold them off. They were old and I was always worried about wrecking something old and destroying its value. Danos feel like old guitars, but are new and play so nice. I had a Bilt also which was good. I like my Dano more. His necks just feel so good. If you like Fender looks, I would go Dano. If you like built in effects and more unusual designs, go Bilt I guess?

My Jaghammer by Danocaster.

ImageIMG_9867 by Christopher Louck, on Flickr
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:35 pm

OH look, it's that fender custom shop bridge. Well, here's my obligatory post about how much I hate that thing. What an eyesore.

Does bilt do full custom stuff? I mean, they have a pretty definite look with all the switches and the headstock that looks like a foot. If relics aren't the OP's thing, maybe Ron Kirn would be a good place to make inquiries.
This is an excellent rectangle

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:37 pm

I have the vintage and reissue bases covered already so the logical answer for me would be "small builder" so I could get some custom options. I really like what Waterslide is doing, so they would be high on the list. I wouldn't order a new guitar with a relic job either.

Not feeling the "player" thing much these days. Usually it's possible to buy a much nicer guitar for similar money.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:38 pm

I've owned dozens of Guitars over the years. Still have quite a few. IMO, There's nothing like playing what you're interested in buying.

Especially when you're in the $3G's & up range. The only way I buy sight unseen is if there is a 30-45 day return for full refund if it's questionable or an exchange Policy.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:07 am

Vintage doesn't really excite me except for the Tele Deluxe (since you can't get 'real' WRHBs now that telenator closed shop), I'd probably go with a Thin Skin in Firemist Silver and upgrades. Danocasters are great but a non-reliced guitar gives you more leeway to swap things out without having it look weird because your new pickguard isn't aged or whatever.

My second option would be specing out an even more ideal build (for me candy tangerine, maybe, with matching headstock & B&B neck). Throw on a custom waterslide Masciscaster sticker, partscasters without a waterslide look wrong to me.

With GM doing the finish, binding and blocks it's about $1200 with a matching headstock. The problem there is that you're basically setting most of the money on fire if you ever go to sell it (vs. the strong resale on Thin Skins, vintage or Danocasters) but if you're confident of it being a forever-guitar that's a good route.