60's Lacquer Jazzmaster on par with AVRI?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Jaguar with Reverb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

60's Lacquer Jazzmaster on par with AVRI?

Post by Jaguar with Reverb » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi All.

Need a little enlightenment from OSG.

I've been reading posts here where people have stated the MIM Classic 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster is close to - if not, as good as -the defunct MIA AVRI Jazzmaster line. I know it doesn't have the AVRI-quality floating vibrato, tub shielding, or a rosewood finger board like it's higher end brethren. Though, I'm learning it has the highly regarded AV65 pickups inside of an alder body with nitro finish. ( Although I can't determine if it comes loaded with CTS-quality pots or Switchcraft switches. Haven't found many gut shots of the Classic 60's) Other than these, what else is missing from the 60's lacquer that would get it up to AVRI '62 standards?

I've been seeing alot of "best bang for the buck Jazzmaster" thrown around. Which begs the question; Is it a great guitar in it's own right? Or is it more "it's a decent guitar if you can't afford to go AVRI, AV65, or CS route"

Been hitting the search function like mad on the forum. But can't really find the answer I'm looking for. Just seeking some definitive facts. Help?

Last edited by Jaguar with Reverb on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster on par with AVRI?

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:27 pm

Just wanted to point out, I believe they both have rosewood boards. Also, 60's lacquer only in surf green (or a less frequently white). AVRI had a few more color options. Never tried either...

-=Todd Fox=-
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by -=Todd Fox=- » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:38 pm

They do offer the rosewood. I remember seeing someone complain in a review about the pots being garbage, but for the cost of an AVRI trem, some shielding and some new CTS pots, you'd still be hundreds of dollars ahead of the game.
A product of a late 70's homesteading experiment.
You can't spell avarice without AVRI.

Jaguar with Reverb
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jaguar with Reverb » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 pm

I guess I'm getting conflicting specs. I thought the MIM figerboards were Pau Ferro and not Rosewood. Or are they the same?

Also, are you saying the pots are indeed NOT CTS?

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 pm

The early ones had Rosewood boards, but the newest versions have Pau Ferro. All the pictures on line make the Pau Ferro look really light, but a little oil darkens them up quite a bit. I wouldn't worry about that part one way or the other. Or, if it is a big deal, look for a used one with a rosewood board.

They do have CTS pots. The electronics are pretty top notch.

I've had a bunch of AVRI Jags and Jazzmasters. I had an early 60's lacquer Jag. It was a very nice guitar, especially for the money. It wasn't as nice as the AVRI's. any of them. But it was close. Probably the best bang for your buck, if that sort of thing matters to you. Probably 85-90% of the US version for 1/2 the price.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:08 pm

The recent 60s lacquers have pau ferro. Not sure exactly when they made the switch, maybe 6 months ago?

They are fine guitars for the money. But no, they are not 'on par' with an AVRI. The belly cut is wrong (too shallow), all the hardware is cheaper , the bridge thimbles are not the same size, and IN GENERAL the necks aren't as nice (shape, fretwork, rosewood quality (or Pau Ferro), no rolled edges, etc) . Like all Mexican guitars, I also doubt they will have much long-term resale value.

I would say, all things considered, they are about on par with a Japanese Jazzmaster, though the Japanese ones will have nicer necks and fretwork, in general. Personally, among the two, I'd rather have a Japanese one.

Food for thought: Used 60s lacquers sell for about $600-700 on ebay. Used AVRI Jazzmasters can sell for more than $1000 above that, depending on the color and condition.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:11 pm

Any new ones from around the middle of last year on will be Pau Ferro. Prior to that, rosewood.

I had a lacquer Jag a couple of years ago, swapped out the trem for an AVRI (which was actually an accident - I was going to put in a Staytrem collet and the stock one was basically welded on, bent the trem unit getting it off) - I can't say that I noticed all that much difference but the AVRI was definitely a heavier gauge of steel.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:19 pm

To me they are on par with MIJ/CIJ without the parts compatibility hassles.

I do think the AVRIs are better, but whether they are worth the extra money depends on how affordable it is to you and what if anything you plan to change.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:23 pm

I'd blind challenge OSG to distinguish my Classic 60s JM versus either of my AVRI JM's. Some of you would tell them apart but I'd bet that the lions share of OSG'ers would not notice a difference. Are they exactly the same? No. It is not a clone of the AVRI. As others have mentioned, some of the planing is shallower, it's not grounded as well, and the thimbles are slightly smaller. But the feels under hand are quite similar.

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:44 am

Jaguar with Reverb wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:20 pm
Hi All.

Need a little enlightenment from OSG.

I've been reading posts here where people have stated the MIM Classic 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster is close to - if not, as good as -the defunct MIA AVRI Jazzmaster line. I know it doesn't have the AVRI-quality floating vibrato, tub shielding, or a rosewood finger board like it's higher end brethren. Though, I'm learning it has the highly regarded AV65 pickups inside of an alder body with nitro finish. ( Although I can't determine if it comes loaded with CTS-quality pots or Switchcraft switches. Haven't found many gut shots of the Classic 60's) Other than these, what else is missing from the 60's lacquer that would get it up to AVRI '62 standards?

I've been seeing alot of "best bang for the buck Jazzmaster" thrown around. Which begs the question; Is it a great guitar in it's own right? Or is it more "it's a decent guitar if you can't afford to go AVRI, AV65, or CS route"

Been hitting the search function like mad on the forum. But can't really find the answer I'm looking for. Just seeking some definitive facts. Help?

Well, it depends on what you are looking for.
The craftsmanship and, partially, the hardware on AVRI or AV models is better (fretwork, trem, pickguard etc).
From my experience the craftsmanship on MIJ/CIJ JMs is better as well compared to Classic 60s JM.

The electronics are CTS and Switchcraft on Classic 60s. So, nothing to complain about in electronics department.

From the point of view of sound: you'll have a hard time telling a classic 60s and AV65 JM apart.
Here is an A/B comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxdeYfeHF0w

AVRI 62 JM have slightly different PUs.

JPCordingley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JPCordingley » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:03 am

I have no experience of the Jazzmaster in this series but tried out the Jaguar in Puke Pink (Fiesta Red) in a shop in London just over a year ago. Aside from the disgusting colour (way prefer the Surf Green colour of the Jazzy) it’s probably the nicest thing I’ve ever played - felt amazing, sounded incredible! I’d just received redundancy pay so had the money for it, but didn’t have a new job yet, so passed on it. Slightly regret that in hindsight. One day.

El Pelo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pelo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:42 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:23 pm
I'd blind challenge OSG to distinguish my Classic 60s JM versus either of my AVRI JM's. Some of you would tell them apart but I'd bet that the lions share of OSG'ers would not notice a difference. Are they exactly the same? No. It is not a clone of the AVRI. As others have mentioned, some of the planing is shallower, it's not grounded as well, and the thimbles are slightly smaller. But the feels under hand are quite similar.
The gloss neck of the 60s lacquer would be a dead give away.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:25 pm

El Pelo wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:42 am
The gloss neck of the 60s lacquer would be a dead give away.
Play it in hot, sweaty clubs for a year.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:14 pm

I have an AV65 Jazzmaster. They are beautiful players. Occasionally there are some great deals on them used. Sometimes not a whole lot more than a Lacquer 60's. They are definitely worth more.

If I couldn't have got the AV65, after trying all the new ones, my next choice would've been the Lacquer 60's. As close as it gets to the AV65 & it's a great Guitar. Deals can be had on those too Used.

I wouldn't worry about resale on a $800 Guitar.. Buy it, play it, enjoy it!

Venice Lockjaw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Venice Lockjaw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:53 pm

I imagine you'd be happy with either