Fender American Original Jaguars and Jazzmasters

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Zeus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender American Original Jaguars and Jazzmasters

Post by Zeus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:43 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:58 pm
This was/is also the rosewood used on the AV65's. I'm not sure if someone was arguing if it's because it's cheaper, but it's not - they were using this before the new restrictions were in place, and it's actually more expensive than the darker stuff. This was supposed to be a special thing to make these guitars stand out. You should be happy to have that rosewood.

Rosewood that's just light can have a tendency to look dull, and I think that's why some people don't like it. But this rosewood has a lot of really interesting grain. At one point I knew the species but have forgotten it now. It was discussed here at the time the AV65's first came out, though.
MechaBulletBill wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:27 pm
That looks really cool.
Ha, thanks - I certainly wasn't posting with the intention of bragging, I was genuinely a bit disappointed at the time that it wasn't darker! I've grown a lot more fond of it since then.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Beyer160 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:45 am
WHO THE FUCK DECIDED THAT "JAGUAR" WAS GOING TO START BEING PRONOUNCED "JAG-WIRE?"
Haha this really bothers me too. Must be a Midwest thing, seems like most of these content creators are from there.

Beyer160
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beyer160 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:02 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:52 am
It's not an English word. If we use a foreign word, we USUALLY don't alter it that much. I'm guessing you've never uttered the words champagne or filet mignon?
Of course I have, but I don't say them with a French accent because I speak American English. I also don't insert letters or sounds that aren't in the words, such as pronouncing "champagne" "sham-pa-go-fuck-yourself-dumbass."

Likewise, "BMW" is not pronounced "bay-em-vay" in American English, nor is "Volkswagen" pronounced "volks-vagen" or "Volvo" "foil-fo." Each language has its own rules of pronunciation, and arguing that importing words into a different language also requires importing their pronunciation is simply ignorant.
BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:52 am
Fuck off calling me an idiot in a public forum for giving you a bit of perspective.
Abrasive cunt child.
Awww... did I hurt your feelings for calling you out on being wrong? And, If I'm not mistaken, you began our lovely exchange with this nugget of mature wisdom:
BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:29 am
It's called "another language's pronunciation", silly arse.
So, feel free to blow it out your ass, you triggered little crotchmunchkin.

Protip: don't dish it out if you can't take it.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 am

Hey!
Out of pure curiosity I wrote an email to Fender about making the stuff we (or at least I) would love to have:
new, american made Jaguars and Jazzmasters, with all the vintage specs that are important but open for some real improvements - and the important part: matching headstocks and necks with Block inlays and Bindings (in my case additional body binding) :?

or if they would at least upgrade the possibilities in the Mod-Shop (which would be awesome too! just make it more or less like the OSG dressing room! and we'd be happy! wouldn't we?) ;)

This is what I got back:

"Hi Markus,

Thank you very much for your suggestions! In the future, starting this year, we will be doing a lot more in the offset world. There will be more focus on limited edition Jazzmasters and Jaguars out of Corona as well!

Regards-

Chase Miller

Representative, Consumer Relations /U.S. Direct
Sales"

well, it doesn't say much...and nothing at all about the Mod-Shop - but - there will some hopefully cool models be appearing! which is good, isn't it?

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:26 am

Zeus wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 pm
tealsixtysix wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:17 am
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:29 am

I've yet to literally ever see someone be like "man I love a nice light rosewood."

Just seems like kind of a universal thing that people want dark fretboards if they aren't getting something with maple.
The problem, of course, is that this is the rosewood that is available at non-exorbitant prices now.

I secretly wish Fender would just dye them.
I bought my Jag a few years back and the rosewood is really, really light (and streaky):

I guess I would've preferred a darker board if it were available but that's what was there at the time.

Anyway, some of these pau ferros seem darker.
I have the same exact guitar and it too, has the striped grain rosewood, which I think is quite striking. After installing AV65 pickups, I absolutely love the sound, feel, and playability of this Jag and it has become the favorite of my 4 Fender offsets.

Hmmmm..........AV65 pickups/9.5 radius fretboard/ bound neck - sound like anything Fender might be offering ? ;)

edit: I guess the new OV Jag will have 62 pickups and the JM will have the 65 pickups.

Beyer160
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beyer160 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:47 pm
Please indulge me for a moment. I'm far more familiar with American English than I am with British English.
How would you pronounce the "u" in the following words?
rude, fruit, spruce, duty, tune
It really depends if you're from Cardiff, Knightsbridge, Newcastle, Dublin or Glasgow, but "duty" and "tune" can be acceptably pronounced "de-you-tea" and "tea-you-n" in certain parts of the UK. I don't pretend to know all the pronunciation rules of every UK dialect, but I think we can all agree (well, most of us anyway) that "jag-u-ar" is an acceptable UK pronunciation in certain dialects, regardless of how it's pronunciation in other parts of the world.
ThePearDream wrote:
Now, there are plenty of people who say "jag-wire" and yes they do sound stupid, but (to me) it also sounds stupid to say" jag-u-war".
Captain Lee's pronunciation of "jag-u-ar" sounds odd to American English speakers (just as if he'd said "al-u-minium"), but fits in context because Lee is speaking British English. Now, if I was talking about guitars in American English with a Jersey accent and dropped "jag-u-ar," I'd sound like a pretentious ass. Just like all those numbnuts who say "Jagwire," a totally ignorant pronunciation with no precedent or linguistic basis.
ThePearDream wrote:
If you say jag-u-war in my presence, well, I'll just ignore your weird pronunciation quirks and understand what you are talking about with getting upset over something trivial.
Your position on the matter is completely reasonable. For myself though...

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:21 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:14 pm
Beyer160 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:45 am
WHO THE FUCK DECIDED THAT "JAGUAR" WAS GOING TO START BEING PRONOUNCED "JAG-WIRE?"
Haha this really bothers me too. Must be a Midwest thing, seems like most of these content creators are from there.
I don't think so. The Midwest has the most neutral accent in the US, almost coinciding with its location within the continent.

Some people just pronounce shit wrong for no clear reason. Like the whole of the US and the word aluminium.

O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by O Drones » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:14 am

Beyer160 wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 am
ThePearDream wrote:
Please indulge me for a moment. I'm far more familiar with American English than I am with British English.
How would you pronounce the "u" in the following words?
rude, fruit, spruce, duty, tune
It really depends if you're from Cardiff, Knightsbridge, Newcastle, Dublin or Glasgow, but "duty" and "tune" can be acceptably pronounced "de-you-tea" and "tea-you-n" in certain parts of the UK. I don't pretend to know all the pronunciation rules of every UK dialect, but I think we can all agree (well, most of us anyway) that "jag-u-ar" is an acceptable UK pronunciation in certain dialects, regardless of how it's pronunciation in other parts of the world.
While we’re being pedantic, Dublin is not in the UK :ph34r:
The Cherry Wave

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:36 am

Can we maybe start a new topic about the pronunciation of "Jaguar"?

I thought this was about the American Original Series? All this pronunciation talk, which doesn't matter, really derailed this thread.

:ph34r:

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:45 am

mediocreplayer wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:21 am
I don't think so. The Midwest has the most neutral accent in the US, almost coinciding with its location within the continent.
No way, most Midwestern accents are as obvious as an East Texas drawl. Dontchaknow.

The flattest accents (still an accent but fewer noticeable quirks) are probably in the Rockies.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:48 am

The poly grain fill/undercoat has been confirmed via new demo videos.

I don't believe it would change the sound whatsoever, but it's kind of the worst of both worlds - less vintage 'wear' but still the relative fragility of a nitro top coat. I'd rather go all in one direction or the other - gimme thin poly or all lacquer.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:59 am

wooderson wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:48 am

I don't believe it would change the sound whatsoever, but it's kind of the worst of both worlds - less vintage 'wear' but still the relative fragility of a nitro top coat. I'd rather go all in one direction or the other - gimme thin poly or all lacquer.
How much effect do you think that has on the sound?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:26 pm

wooderson wrote:

Or, here's a glass half full.

It's a more durable way to get a nitro finish that people like the feel and look of.

I don't get why people care about "poly" under nitro. In the 60's, fender sealed all their bodies with Fullerplast, which was a clear, durable, chemically inert sealer that prevented the first few coats of nitro from sinking into the grain.

While I doubt it's identical in chemical composition to modern "poly" sealers, but its function is identical.

The word "poly" truly means nothing to anyone with any knowledge of paint chemistry - it's a shorthand used online for people who want to say "NOT nitrocellulose". Polyurethane, UV-catalyzed polyurethane, and polyacrylic are all examples of polymerized ("poly") finishes with extremely different properties.

Fullerplast was a polymer of some kind. I'm not afraid of any base coat Fender chooses to put on these.

As an aside, I do think that nitrocellulose should be retired from use for anything but historical replicas. It's antiquated chemistry, that puts human beings and the environment at greater risk than many modern alternatives, though I'd expect to be ridden out on a rail for saying that on a guitar forum.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:38 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:59 am
wooderson wrote:

I said it in the first clause there - no effect whatsoever. The only point of nitro to me is for a guitar to wear in an aesthetically pleasing way, so I'd prefer to not go half measures and just have a thin poly finish all the way around like Bilt.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:20 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:59 am

Zero. But the 'Flash Coat' pure nitro finish of the AV65s looks better and feels better in the hand, and that's why I prefer it to a finish with poly and nitro layers.