Fender American Original Jaguars and Jazzmasters

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender American Original Jaguars and Jazzmasters

Post by Embenny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:18 pm

zastruga wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:15 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 am

I'm no marketing guru, but blue ranks as the majority of people's favourite colour in general as well:

I meant to start this post as a defense of Fender throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks, but it degenerated into my personal gripe about colour choices.

Oops.
<tangent>

I don't have much to add to your larger point, since I tend to agree that Fender actually does a pretty good job of both pushing new and old ideas (well, excluding the new Piss-Poor Photoshop Job Series), but the most interesting thing to me here is the 'favorite color' graph. Look how BIG the purple section is! Significantly more than red, and every single guitar on Earth comes in red. Yet, I don't think Fender has ever made a production model in purple other than a couple of signatures. I'd love some purples! (And more sparkles, damn it!)

</tangent>
My goodness, yes. Give me a Candy Plum metallic and I'd be all over that!

The MIJ Mascis JM was the only offset in aware of. There have been purple strats and teles over the years, but not nearly enough offsets.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:24 pm

One of the colors MJT offers is Crown Royal Purple. It's the first time I've seen, or thought about, purple on a guitar. It looks nice...metallic, etc.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:35 pm

pscates wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:24 pm
One of the colors MJT offers is Crown Royal Purple. It's the first time I've seen, or thought about, purple on a guitar. It looks nice...metallic, etc.
This is a plain old MIM strat from 2002.

The artist formerly known as mbene085.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:51 pm

parry wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:52 am
When I get bored of my FAQ sig - this is my new sig. Because, yeah. EXACTLY.
Your FAQ sig made me laugh 😆

I really like the JM, but the price tag is beyond good and evil...
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by O Drones » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:32 pm

Someone on TDPRI contacted Wilwood to ask about the finish on the new line, and apparently

"The new Fender finish is Nitro over Poly base coat so more like a 70s style finish."

So more like the '62 finish. Which is a bummer personally, as I loved the flashcoat finish on the '65s.
The Cherry Wave

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:18 pm

I remember an old post of a vintage Fender factory blue/purple burst Mustang, which was very cool.
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:34 pm

O Drones wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:32 pm
Someone on TDPRI contacted Wilwood to ask about the finish on the new line, and apparently

"The new Fender finish is Nitro over Poly base coat so more like a 70s style finish."

So more like the '62 finish. Which is a bummer personally, as I loved the flashcoat finish on the '65s.
They used a nitro top coat in the 70s? That's news to me. Thought they were straight Polyester.

But yeah, bummer that this news is true.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:45 pm

You know what these remind me of? Boutique builder's versions with 9.5" fretboards. It's nothing new, but they're undoubtedly nice to play and have the oddly-coveted "Fender" on the headstock.

As for colors. Well, no poo brown? Fuck you, Fender! :D

Three Woody Guitars, May 07, 2015 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:53 pm

That's what I was saying - the fender pau ferro Shit could look just like the 60s stuff if they just slathered it in dye. If the production stuff looks like the pictures on sale sites then the stuff they're using looks like shit.

Having said that a while back a poster shared his TVL and it had a lighter fretboard with a stripe kind of vibe going on that was beautiful.
Last edited by Mechanical Birds on Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O Drones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by O Drones » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:54 pm

sunburster wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:34 pm
O Drones wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:32 pm

They used a nitro top coat in the 70s? That's news to me. Thought they were straight Polyester.

But yeah, bummer that this news is true.
Yeah, I’m assuming he just means the poly part of the finish is like the ‘70s, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Cherry Wave

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:04 am

The thing I have always questioned is Fender's continued use of their tired color palette. There was a brief time when they did actually have a decent selection of colors to choose from in the original AVRI line, the classic colors, but my gripe goes beyond that. Which is, in regards to about everything Fender puts out...

Why do they feel dead set on using these colors based off of car colors of the 50's and 60s (Not that they even really give us many of those to choose from). Who the fuck cares? Why do they cling to this tradition so hard? I would say that 98% of Fender customers in 2018 have never owned one of these cars, and a good 70% of their current customer base probably weren't even alive in those decades. So who cares if they are automotive colors from the 50s and 60s?

I'm not saying I dislike them, I'm just saying GIVE IT FREAKIN' REST. You already drift away from vintage specs under the notion that they need to be "modernized" for today's playing styles. What about other changing styles with players, like visual aesthetic. 60+ years of generally looking at the same damn shape with the same damn colors? And they wonder why younger generations aren't exactly flocking to guitar playing.

60+ years, over and over and over and over. How about a COMPLETE fresh color palette? "2019 Fender metallics based off of popular hang gliders from the late 80s" or "Colors you find inside a taco" or for the love of God... ANYTHING different. I like tradition to a point. But there is a difference between tradition and a generally tired look with a grossly outdated mindset behind it.

"Based on popular automotive colors of the 50s and 60s!" reads the same to me as "Colors taken from your grandfathers old oil burning, pollution spewing, 9-miles-to-the-gallon Chevrolet that even your Dad barely remembers him owning." How fresh and inspiring for 2018!!!

And I'm 45 years old. :fp:

tealsixtysix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tealsixtysix » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 am

...you're asking why Fender uses '50s and '60s colors on '50s and '60s reissues?

The other lines (American Pro and Elite) use plenty of new colors, some of which are awesome. (Mystic Seafoam, anyone?)

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:14 am

Fender has used this color palette (or very slight variations on it) on far more than just the American Vintage/Original line over the years (which yes, I understand the use of on those obviously). I remember in the early 90s when they imported the MIJ Jazzmasters and Jaguars and they were all the rage. Unless somebody went to Japan and brought one back, I think the only colors ever imported to sell in the US were were CAR, Oly White and Sunburst. When they first revamped the American Vintage line, there they were again... CAR, white and SB. The gold was cool on the JM. And there are some killer colors on the Am Pro line for sure.

I'm guess I'm mainly asking why Fender is so set on this era of colors on guitars that are anything but "original" spec to begin with. And if a "vintage-ish spec" Jaguar or Jazzmaster has been available for almost the last 30 years now (In the form of the MIJ, CIJ, AVRI, AV, Squiers) at what point do we stop having to continue to slather on these 60's colors, hold the same general set of features, and loosely keep referring to them as "vintage this" or "original that"? If they are willing to monkey with the specs, why not play with a line of vintage spec'd guitars in a totally new way color wise?

"But they didn't offer Pink Grapefruit Sparkleburst in 60s." Yeah, well, they didn't offer 9.5 inch fretboards and 6105 frets either. So if we're going to modernize things while kind of maintaining a vintage tone and feature set, why not change the most glaringly obvious and easiest to change feature of them... the color. Fender knows what a traditional Jazzmaster is and they know how artists use these instruments. Why not really breathe some new life into a "vintage" line of these guitars instead of having to respect some imaginary boundry on vintage spec guitars that says they have to be colors from their respective era?

Yeah, I am all over the board here and not making a damn bit of sense. I also have the flu and am loaded out of my head on cold medicine at 3am. I think this is just a reaction to seeing white, sunburst and tired as hell CAR on YET ANOTHER line of "almost vintage-ish spec" guitars. We're respecting a tradition that at it's core, most of us have zero connection to to begin with. Bring on the "Metallic Chocolate '62 Spec Jaguar".
Last edited by B on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:46 am

Tbf it's not like car companies are falling over themselves to do more than red/blue/black/white/silver unless you're buying a fiat 500

Pogue Mahone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pogue Mahone » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:51 am

It'd be cool to revisit the International series colors, hell even Eric Johnson deviated from the normal color selection on his sig. rosewood board Strat, and that oxblood color on the TVL is awesome, I'd like to see more like that...
"I sat for a while by the gap in the wall, found a rusty tin can and an old hurley ball"