New Fender Meteora offset at NAMM?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Fender Meteora offset at NAMM?

Post by pscates » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:10 am

Once again, a member here does a better job than Fender in offering up color or other design/style tweaks.

I would’ve received this model much better with ANY of the above color/neck combos. Making such a goofy-looking model try to be “rooted in tradition” with the butterscotch and black pickguard - which really only looks good/right on ONE specific model from Fender - is part of the reason it looks so “off”.

A body design this out there and non-stock screams for some metallic or metal flake in a non-standard color. That Fender themselves don’t seem to grasp that is just weird. Every one of those mockups above looks 10x better than the real thing.

And I don’t think they helped themselves by going with Tele electronics/bridge. Again, this would’ve been the perfect platform/excuse to do something cool or funky with the pickup and electronics, to further play up “this ain’t your grandpa’s Fender!”.

Instead, Fender seemed content to just ugly up a 50’s-era Telecaster. Every one of their “design choices” these past 2-3 weeks has either had me scratching my head or rolling my eyes. “What are you people smoking?!?”. :P

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:24 am

A body design this out there and non-stock screams for some metallic or metal flake in a non-standard color. That Fender themselves don’t seem to grasp that is just weird. Every one of those mockups above looks 10x better than the real thing.

And I don’t think they helped themselves by going with Tele electronics/bridge. Again, this would’ve been the perfect platform/excuse to do something cool or funky with the pickup and electronics, to further play up “this ain’t your grandpa’s Fender!”.
My thoughts exactly. Admittedly, it still probably wouldn't be for me, but it would make more sense than butterscotch with tele bridge.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:45 pm

yeah! i played it for a bit, and it totally feels like a Tele, as you might have figured. the neck was reminiscent of some of the chunkier Teles i've played. the body does have a comfier offset thing going on, though.

i agree that WRHB's or something glassy and modern would suit the look and the name - kind of like how the early Explorer had those special pickups. it's like they totally reversed course when they were about to leave Earth's atmosphere
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:05 am

Growing on me now that videos are out - less garishly yellow than wannabe-blackguards can be.

There's a video Fender put out about the making that has one in blue with a rosewood board and two humbuckers - that's an interesting option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKzPjOgv8-c

offkeyericdee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offkeyericdee » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:12 am

wooderson wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:05 am
Growing on me now that videos are out - less garishly yellow than wannabe-blackguards can be.

There's a video Fender put out about the making that has one in blue with a rosewood board and two humbuckers - that's an interesting option.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKzPjOgv8-c
I asked Fender about the daphne blue, dual humbucker Meteora from the video and this is the response I received:

Thanks for reaching out. As of right now, the only Meteora that's available is the Limited Edition natural/Tele configuration. The one you refer to in the video was a prototype. Hopefully, if there is enough interest, the model may become part of the line up sometime in the future, but for now it's limited run as part of our Parallel Universe series.
"If it's not a Fender, you f**ked up!"
-1968 ad slogan

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:20 am

You know, I hate to be negative but... why shoot a video like this showing a guy making a guitar that is not for sale with occasional sights of the real thing? Gees...

The daphne blue with stripes is so much more interesting than the black guard one...
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:03 pm

This shape is growing on me, but the headstock is still a letdown (a scaled down Starcasterish style could be cool here). The Tele configuration is really unimaginative though. How about a new pickup design?

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:49 pm

That blue one caught my eye too. I can imagine it with wide ranges and a jazzmaster tremolo and in my head that would look pretty cool. I also imagine a couple Ronin Foilbuckers would look neato.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:25 pm

The Chinese make better looking Fender mash ups, than even Fender themselves. :bored:

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:36 pm

I don't think we're allowed to comment on things we don't like anymore, Tribi. Especially, when lamenting The Almighty. :ph34r:
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:15 pm

I don't even dislike the looks of it, but just once, for once in my life, I'd like to look at a Fender and get all excited by wondering what it sounds like.

I always know what it sounds like. It's always just packaging.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:39 pm

parry wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:36 pm
I don't think we're allowed to comment on things we don't like anymore, Tribi. Especially, when lamenting The Almighty. :ph34r:

Oh my Loneliness! :wtf:

egosheep
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by egosheep » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:17 pm

That JagStrat is just an abomination. It's something you would expect as a photoshop mockup for April Fools day. :fp:

mizbiz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mizbiz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 pm

So I really like the Meteora body shape. Something about it just seems really cool to me. I'm just not down with the telecaster layout. Now, if it could be configured like a Jazzmaster, I'd be all over it!...

Guess what... It can! I hit up Rosser Guitars to see if Michael could make me a custom routed Meteora body, but with Jazzmaster pickup, bridge and trem routes. He agreed. Then I hit up GuitarPaintGuys to see if I could reserve a specific color from their fall sale, and they agreed too! So now I have the body and paint (Ocean Turquoise) all paid for! I already had the Warmoth maple neck with black binding and all the other parts were ordered and received... now it's just a waiting game. I think this is gonna turn out to be amazing!!! Well, at least I hope it will. I did a mock up in butterscotch:

Now all I have to figure out is what case this beast will fit into... :fp:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:20 pm

mizbiz wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:46 pm
So I really like the Meteora body shape. Something about it just seems really cool to me. I'm just not down with the telecaster layout. Now, if it could be configured like a Jazzmaster, I'd be all over it!...

Guess what... It can! I hit up Rosser Guitars to see if Michael could make me a custom routed Meteora body, but with Jazzmaster pickup, bridge and trem routes. He agreed. Then I hit up GuitarPaintGuys to see if I could reserve a specific color from their fall sale, and they agreed too! So now I have the body and paint (Ocean Turquoise) all paid for! I already had the Warmoth maple neck with black binding and all the other parts were ordered and received... now it's just a waiting game. I think this is gonna turn out to be amazing!!! Well, at least I hope it will. I did a mock up in butterscotch:

Now all I have to figure out is what case this beast will fit into... :fp:
I actually just noticed yesterday that Rosser had a Meteora body shape listed! Was that your doing? Or was it already a shape that was offered?

This build sounds so much cooler than the official release. Can't wait to see it!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.