Looking for A 2nd Jaguar - What to Consider?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
goostah
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Looking for A 2nd Jaguar - What to Consider?

Post by goostah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Dear All

I have no justification for buying a 2nd a Jaguar other than I love the look of surf green. My current Jag is CAR built to 65 specs (with a series mod). I only play at home and like learning different styles so I am not chasing tones or looking to fit into a genre of music. I have a bunch of other guitars (single coils, P90s, humbuckers etc and hollow, semi, solid etc) that cover all the tonal territory I need.

Anyone have suggestions for speccing out a 2nd Jaguar that is night and day different to my 65 spec'd guitar? I am thinking of building a Johnny Marr guitar but as I am not a Jaguar die hard I'm not sure it's enough difference to a 65 spec'd Jaguar.

Consider this thread a clean slate - it would be interesting to hear your non traditional ideas for a 2nd Jaguar.

Many thanks

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Looking for A 2nd Jaguar - What to Consider?

Post by Embenny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:37 pm

Your current guitar would have a 7.25" radius, so you could go for 9.5". It's got two vintage single coils, and a vintage vibrato. So how about some humbuckers or P90's and a hardtail? It's got a nitro finish, so how about poly? It's got a rhythm circuit and strangle switch, so how about a stripped-down 3-way switch and nothing else?

You asked for completely different, so here it is, and it just so happens that they're available super cheap on the used market:

Those are the Blacktop Jag HH and 90. I stuck TV Classics and a B5 in one and then it really fit the description of "different".

The artist formerly known as mbene085.

goostah
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by goostah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:45 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:37 pm
Your current guitar would have a 7.25" radius, so you could go for 9.5". It's got two vintage single coils, and a vintage vibrato. So how about some humbuckers or P90's and a hardtail? It's got a nitro finish, so how about poly? It's got a rhythm circuit and strangle switch, so how about a stripped-down 3-way switch and nothing else?

You asked for completely different, so here it is, and it just so happens that they're available super cheap on the used market:

Those are the Blacktop Jag HH and 90. I stuck TV Classics and a B5 in one and then it really fit the description of "different".

Thanks mbene, some good ideas here. Excluding my Gretsch guitars I only have one humbucker guitar. In fact I just stumbled upon this in another thread which looks really appealing (possibly from the same range as the one you posted):

If there's no huge variety in the Jaguar claw pickup category (bear in mind I don't have the greatest ears to detect subtle nuances in tone so huge is relative here) then something like this is a great option. Dynasonics have also crossed my mind as a possible option - I have never played them but understand they sit between tele single coils and P90s.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Classic Player HH jag with the non-standard switching that gives both single coil and HB tones ?

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric- ... 14171.html
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:05 pm

goostah wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:45 pm
Thanks mbene, some good ideas here. Excluding my Gretsch guitars I only have one humbucker guitar. In fact I just stumbled upon this in another thread which looks really appealing (possibly from the same range as the one you posted):

If there's no huge variety in the Jaguar claw pickup category (bear in mind I don't have the greatest ears to detect subtle nuances in tone so huge is relative here) then something like this is a great option. Dynasonics have also crossed my mind as a possible option - I have never played them but understand they sit between tele single coils and P90s.
That's an MIJ Jaguar Special HH. They were available in North America only as black-on-black, but they are occasionally available from Japanese sources in various other colour combinations.

I actually sold my Blacktop and bought one of those MIJs (well, traded a JM for it). They're great guitars but since they have the traditional electronics and 7.25" radius, they wouldn't be "as" different as your current Jag.

I have an extreme fondness for Dynasonics and really want to put some T-Armonds in one of my guitars someday.

As for claw-compatible pickups, beyond the usual vintage, overwound, magnet variations, etc., there are a couple of differently-constructed options. I have Vintage Vibe JG90's in my MIJ, which are Jag-shaped P90's, though I'm actually about to swap those out after 10 years to change things up.

Curtis Novak has Jag-sized Lipsticks. That would sound totally different.

And there are Creamery Sonic 60's, which are Burns Trisonics shrunk down to a slimmer profile.

Jags are my main guitars, and I have spent years playing around with weird pickups in them. You'll be able to put together something very different-sounding from your AV65 with a little effort...just gotta figure out which direction to go! Hard to imagine pickups that sound more different than PAFs, filtertrons, dynasonics, lipsticks, P-90's and tri-sonics...and that's before you realize that you have even more options like Lace Sensors, Alumitones, and even active EMG singlecoils.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

goostah
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by goostah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:56 pm

Thanks for all the info mbene.

frelonvert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frelonvert » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:31 am

They made a blacktop jaguar in seafoam green with block and biddings that was really cool !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt7oGYXjrpk
Take care the skons is evrywhere !

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:02 am

Something really different? How about a Thinline Jaguar?

https://youtu.be/rgDvXHf2AfM

hikikomori
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hikikomori » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:01 am

how about this?

Kaiwasoyokaze - Analogue in Busan
http://kaiwasoyokaze.tumblr.com/

frelonvert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frelonvert » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:28 am

The jaguarillo was also cool:
Take care the skons is evrywhere !

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:12 am

A Bass VI

astro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by astro » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 pm

If you can live with a strat jack, these are really cool:

King Volcano
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by King Volcano » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:36 pm

astro wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 pm
If you can live with a strat jack, these are really cool:

I had one of those. Really liked it... Not a Jaguar, but I think these are such a deal and perfect for modding: