Probably the coolest thing I've seen in a while

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Probably the coolest thing I've seen in a while

Post by daysleeperjeff » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:02 am

wproffitt wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:56 am
I think that most of the posters here have missed the irony/sarcasm in the marketing hype for these guitars. I'm in the "It'd be a lot cooler with a pick guard." club, too, but I dig the paper finishes and imagine these are pretty darn fun to play. In fact, I'm not sure that I'm bold enough to rock a guitar with a finish like this! :D Well done on the blue guitar,
Nah, I think people get the sarcasm. But if you design marketing to be controversial and insulting (even in jest) expect some comments in response. That’s why you do that afterall...to get people talking. And these guitar designs are going to need all the help and creative marketing they can get to sell. :shifty:

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:22 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:02 am
Nah, I think people get the sarcasm. But if you design marketing to be controversial and insulting (even in jest) expect some comments in response. That’s why you do that afterall...to get people talking. And these guitar designs are going to need all the help and creative marketing they can get to sell. :shifty:
Well, a butt for every seat, you know? You seem to be especially offended, and if I had a band that sounded like the cure, I guess I'd be offended too. But that's not really the point. Lots of people like Jazzmasters, not just indie rock and shoe gaze wusses. There are surf dorks, and country bumpkins too.

By the way, I belong in the surf dork category. :)

(lighten up everyone, guitars are fun)

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:02 am

Sonichris wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:22 pm
daysleeperjeff wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:02 am
Well, a butt for every seat, you know? You seem to be especially offended, and if I had a band that sounded like the cure, I guess I'd be offended too. But that's not really the point. Lots of people like Jazzmasters, not just indie rock and shoe gaze wusses. There are surf dorks, and country bumpkins too.

I’m just not one for advertising that speaks down to a particular group. Even if it’s a joke I find it condescending and arrogant. It’s like watching all the windows and android commercials that down talk Apple while Apple puts out classy, creative ads. It makes the others look childish regardless of what you think of the products. Just not my thing.

Also...You’re telling a Cure fan to lighten up?

I’m depressed and moody ok!

:P

blackbox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blackbox » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:03 am

I guess the alt-right needs offsets too.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:01 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:02 am
It’s like watching all the windows and android commercials that down talk Apple while Apple puts out classy, creative ads.
Sure, just like the "I'm a Mac... and I'm a PC" series of ads... classy af and not bashing at the competition at all :whistle:
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:21 am

leokula wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:01 pm
daysleeperjeff wrote:
It’s like watching all the windows and android commercials that down talk Apple while Apple puts out classy, creative ads.
Sure, just like the "I'm a Mac... and I'm a PC" series of ads... classy af and not bashing at the competition at all :whistle:
I’m talking about recent commercials but ok, yes they’ve done it too. I knew I shouldn’t have used a specific example. There’s always someone ready to pounce on the internet.

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:47 pm

daysleeperjeff wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:21 am
leokula wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:01 pm
daysleeperjeff wrote:
I’m talking about recent commercials but ok, yes they’ve done it too. I knew I shouldn’t have used a specific example. There’s always someone ready to pounce on the internet.
Let's all pile onto daysleeperjeff!! come on, it's fun! (joke) :D

I got called a neo-nazi and racist in a post two above this. I am neither. I don't know that prefering your rock and roll straight up rather than modified makes someone a racist. maybe? If someone doesn't like the guitars and music I like, can I call them a racist, or a bigot? Can I enjoy someone's music while not agreeing with their opinions? I'm very confused. Maybe blackbox can help enlighten me.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:07 pm

All this chatter... :fp:

These guitars look super nice. Judging by the look, I'd say they play pretty awesome too. Do I like the promotion? Not really. Usually I like to see if guitars can stand on their own. But I can understand if he's marketing to a specific demographic. Perhaps he's just trying to get the Texas blues/rock players to buy in to the offset style.

Will it work? Idk..but the design imo transcends his target audience. These look classy to me and that's that. It doesn't have to have the connotation of being exclusively for "tough guys" attached to it.

When I created the thread I never even bothered to look at what was written. I just saw the guitar and loved the look. I play ambient/shoe-gazy and post-punk style music. Going back in and seeing all this hate was a bit of a turn off.

These look super nice and I hope they do well.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:14 am

I guess The internet is too volatile of a place to post controversial marketing campaigns. Some people like, some people dislike but then all the sudden there’s death threats, political bias and someone inevitably is deemed a nazi.

Welcome to the internet! :ph34r:

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:45 am

I think you should have used a polished Mastery to match the shiny pickups, or else brushed pickup covers if you wanted to go the other way.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:19 am

as a female shoegazer, I'm in the wrong thread ...

If OSG has tort me anything...

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:40 am

soggy mittens wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:19 am
as a female shoegazer, I'm in the wrong thread ...

Male shoegazer here...I hear ya...

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:46 am

Sonichris wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:22 pm

And many others. Even Noel Gallagher plays Jazzmaster these days.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:11 pm

Last edited by Larry Mal on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:33 pm

I quite like the carnation blue guitar with the mini-hums, quite lovely...but...

I found the Paisley guitar as tacky as the blurb, though considerably less misogynistic and homophobic. After nearly 50 years of toxic misogyny in music marketing and homophobia in the language of rock, I'm fucking sick of it.

As a woman and a former rocker/punk/freaky indie out there and now kind of Jazzy guitarist, not only would I never buy an instrument from a company that thought that copy was OK, I'l tell my friends, male & female to avoid it.

It's a goddamn shame. Such beautiful and well made guitars, being sold with the tone of a braying ass. :'(
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.