MIJ PINK PAISLEY JAZZMASTERS

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Zemfira
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: MIJ PINK PAISLEY JAZZMASTERS

Post by Zemfira » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:11 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:44 am
I love both of them. Fender USA are scared to offer any unique models or a good variety of finishes these days. Do Jazzmasters sell better in Japan/Asia in general? How can they do all this, but not Fender USA?
I've noticed that jazzmasters and offsets in general are often used in a lot of japanese music, most notably Inoran of luna sea has a couple of signature jazzmasters. Not too sure why they are used so much but I'd assume its partly due to the number of them that are made in japan.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:23 am

The Pink Paisley Tele has a lot of history behind it, which is one of the many reasons I love mine, but on the JM, it just doen't look quite right. The execution seems to be sloppy. The blue flower JM, however, looks great. I'd get one, if I wasn't already up to my neck in guitars.

I like PP, I even got a matching PRRI:

Syd The Paisley Tele And A Madcap Amp, September 21, 2014 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

ifallalot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ifallalot » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:44 am

Give me either one as a Jaguar with a maple BnB neck

I like weird

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:44 am

In a paisley telecaster, the pickguard is a piece of see-through plexi that is sprayed pink around the neck-pickup.
So the paisley pattern you see through the pickguard is the actual guitar body.
In the Jazzmaster, (and the Jaguar I guess?) the pickguard can't be of the see-through type unless the routing is done otherly than standard.
I have the impression the pickguard is a piece of plexi with a paisley-pattern face-up glued to the back of it.
I'm not sure of this though.
Because of this, I think offsets are less suited to get the classic paisley-look (w ith transparant pickguard that is).
On the other hand, a pink paisley Jazzmaster with gold or silver anodized guard would be nice.
All these thoughts aside, I'd still have one if I had extra money.
a blue AND a pink one; oh yes! ;D

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:50 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
I love both of them. Fender USA are scared to offer any unique models or a good variety of finishes these days. Do Jazzmasters sell better in Japan/Asia in general? How can they do all this, but not Fender USA?
Japan in general has a lot of weird niche stuff that wouldn't be profitable here. It's because it's a tiny, densely packed country (compared to the US) that's extremely well interconnected. Shipping and marketing costs are relatively low. It's not like there are 20,000 music shops in a 3,000 mile radius that they need to ship 1 each of these to and then somehow let people across those 3,000 miles know they exist. There are probably more like 500 music shops, 50 of which in the most heavily traveled areas get 10 of these and the rest get none. Those 50 shops probably get 80% of all the sales in the country, and everyone knows to go to them (and can easily get to them) for stuff like this.

Then if they need more, they just make more. Whereas in the US, they'd have to produce a bigger run to start with and ship them individually to more far-flung locations, then hope they all sell.

There are a lot of manufactured things in Japan that cater to audiences that have to be in the hundreds, if that. It's just because it's easier to make a profit off smaller audiences there.

I really want one of these, but can't afford it right now and anyway it seems like shipping rosewood from Japan has become really difficult.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:18 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:50 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
Japan in general has a lot of weird niche stuff that wouldn't be profitable here. It's because it's a tiny, densely packed country (compared to the US) that's extremely well interconnected. Shipping and marketing costs are relatively low. It's not like there are 20,000 music shops in a 3,000 mile radius that they need to ship 1 each of these to and then somehow let people across those 3,000 miles know they exist. There are probably more like 500 music shops, 50 of which in the most heavily traveled areas get 10 of these and the rest get none. Those 50 shops probably get 80% of all the sales in the country, and everyone knows to go to them (and can easily get to them) for stuff like this.

Then if they need more, they just make more. Whereas in the US, they'd have to produce a bigger run to start with and ship them individually to more far-flung locations, then hope they all sell.

There are a lot of manufactured things in Japan that cater to audiences that have to be in the hundreds, if that. It's just because it's easier to make a profit off smaller audiences there.

I really want one of these, but can't afford it right now and anyway it seems like shipping rosewood from Japan has become really difficult.
Thanks for the thorough and concise response to my query. :D I love this forum.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:13 pm

That paisley PRRI is just wild! I'd love to see one in that hippie-dippie blue to match the JM.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:14 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:13 pm
That paisley PRRI is just wild! I'd love to see one in that hippie-dippie blue to match the JM.
Over at the music store closest to me, they've got a DRRI in Flower Power Blue! It's completely trippy!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm sure they're great, those paisley Japanese Telecasters and Stratocasters have been excellent for years, I have no doubt that the offset models would be too.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:17 pm

i'd rock both the pink and the blue. however if i had the pink, i'd put on black covers/knobs because the white throws off the look quite badly
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:22 am

I think that they both look great.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:39 am

This is really funny to see. Earlier this year there was an AVRI for sale in Ireland that had been refinished as a paisley (blue) but without the paisley guard. It actually looked fairly decent with the old AVRi mint green guard.

I'm happy to see something like this that isn't another custom shop model - but it's not for me. Cool, interesting and certainly has historical significance for Fender lovers (well ... paisley finished Telecasters maybe given that they never did this on offsets) ... but just not my cup of tea.

JagInTheBag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JagInTheBag » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:59 pm

If they were available for export, I'd certainly buy a Paisley.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:38 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Do you just mean 'production' models? With design your own... we have a better selection than we've ever had.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:27 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:38 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
Do you just mean 'production' models? With design your own... we have a better selection than we've ever had.
That link just goes to the frontpage. I dug around a bit. Couldn't find it. Yea, I don't know. Can I get a Jazzmaster with vintage correct wiring and vibrato, but with a 9.5" radius for a sensible price? Thin Skin is my only option that I know about (for USA models).
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.