Who has/has played the Cobain NOS jag?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
audiopablo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Who has/has played the Cobain NOS jag?

Post by audiopablo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:06 pm

Opinions? How does it sound? How is the fit and finish? Do you like those pickups? Is the binding done well?

Homeless Blueless
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Who has/has played the Cobain NOS jag?

Post by Homeless Blueless » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:40 pm

I can only give you half an answer as I only have the body of one of the NOS KC Jaguars. I put an AV65 neck on it and changed the bridge and tremolo unit.

The fit and finish is very nice. Cosmetically, it has a thick poly finish and, up close, the sunburst colour and the wood matching is nowhere as near as nice as on the AV65s. None of that affects the sound in any way and the guitar feels very well made.

The humbuckers in the guitar are hot and they have good contrast to each other. The bridge humbucker is very trebly for a humbucker, which I like. Having three controls on the rhythm circuit (a separate volume pot for each pickup and a shared tone pot) is awesome, it allows you to blend the pickups when both are on, without changing the pickup heights. A bit of change in the volumes of the respective pickups can get some great variety in the sounds.

Basically, I you like Nirvana and Jaguars you will like this guitar. Not sure if Kurt ever used the original version of this on any of the actual Nirvana albums, but the pickups will get you the sounds. It is quite a versatile guitar though and you can do heaps of other stuff with it. Apparently when Kurt got the guitar it was already modified with the hot DiMarzio pickups, etc. Supposedly it was previously owned by a guitarist who used it to quite different effect in Cliff Richards' band.

Rob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Not sure if Kurt ever used the original version of this on any of the actual Nirvana albums
He didn't own the Jaguar until after Nevermind was already in post-production. However, the Jag was used extensively on In Utero, and was one of his main live guitars for a couple years.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:25 pm

I'll second the above. The wood matching is hit and miss - I managed to get one with nice grain and a good book match, but I've seen some that are not particularly attractive.

Quality wise they're pretty good, although my lefty version had right handed pots, which was annoying do I swapped them out. Binding is well done.

One bonus is they have an angled neck pocket, therefore reducing the need for a shim.

Pickups sound great, especially the bridge, although (obviously) it doesn't sound anything like a traditional jaguar! I modified mine slightly by adding a "strangle switch" next to the toggle. The factory wiring isn't very neat, but seemed reasonably secure.

Cheers!
J