NGD: Bilt S.S. Zaftig

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Bilt S.S. Zaftig

Post by Singlebladepickup » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:17 pm

You should do the testimonial for the secret agent on Pierce's website, I noticed there isn't one.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Congrats! I love those guitars. It's so sweet when a deal works out.

I've had a bad day and seeing this has just reminded me to go and play the dream guitar I bought this year in a sweet deal - an AVRI '65 JM in Firemist Silver.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Man, I've tried the Zaftig through all of my amps and the same thing holds true- the bridge pickup is the most ice-pick-y thing I've ever played, and yes, I'm counting the dozens of Telecasters I've played or owned over the last 30 years.

Also, the thing refuses to stay in tune. I've stretched the hell out of the strings, played with a light touch, and it still goes out of tune. And don't get me started on the Mastery bridge and trem. The arm tension is stuck somewhere around "you forgot to push the arm in" and "are you sure it's the right size?" Oh, and forget about using it and staying even remotely in tune.

So, the Regals have to go and it's going to need a serious set-up and check-up of the Mastery parts. >:( >:( >:( :fp:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Domm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Domm » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:34 pm

pot/cap values maybe off from pickup change(goldfoils to regals) thus the ice pick stuff. definitely sounds like it needs a set up.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:14 pm
Man, I've tried the Zaftig through all of my amps and the same thing holds true- the bridge pickup is the most ice-pick-y thing I've ever played, and yes, I'm counting the dozens of Telecasters I've played or owned over the last 30 years.

Also, the thing refuses to stay in tune. I've stretched the hell out of the strings, played with a light touch, and it still goes out of tune. And don't get me started on the Mastery bridge and trem. The arm tension is stuck somewhere around "you forgot to push the arm in" and "are you sure it's the right size?" Oh, and forget about using it and staying even remotely in tune.

So, the Regals have to go and it's going to need a serious set-up and check-up of the Mastery parts. >:( >:( >:( :fp:
Sorry to hear this. Is the nut binding the strings at all or the bridge sinking? I've usually swapped my bridge out on mine. I like the Mastery bridge fine, but the Staytrem bridge is smoother and plenty stable with a trem, in my experience. It sounds like you're having problems with the trem too though, which I've never run into.

It might be worth checking the pots to make certain they're 500k. That's likely, but it was custom build. I've heard that all Alnico WRHB's are a bit less harsh and bright. Overall, though, it sounds like they're not the tone you're after, and they're easy enough to pull and sell. Was the P-90 cut pickguard included so that you can swap in goldfoils without a new guard?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks, guys! I'll check all those things.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:38 am

I would just sell it. Unless you enjoy the tinkering, what you wrote above can be summarized as: 1) you don't like how it sounds and 2) you don't like how it plays. It is not worth keeping it imo (but who knows maybe it turns out to be the best guitar ever with a few fixes).

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:11 am

Nice Bilt Maggie - but sorry to read you've had issues with it.

My old one (2013/2014 iirc) was before they started using Mastery trem units (the old plate/AVRI units were in use then) and I have to say that it was rock solid. I'd hope that if there's an issue it's with the parts used rather than any drop in workmanship from Bilt - I was really surprised with how great mine was in that regard ... it was absolutely rock solid and tuning, in particular, was stellar.

Hopefully it all gets sorted. :)

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:14 am

Forgot to add ... mine had Lollar JM pickups in it and, yep, the bridge was ice-pick bright too. Perhaps it's due to the pot values? I've had Regals in other guitars without issue - and I've had Lollar JM pickups in other guitars that didn't sound quite as bright.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:02 am

Despot wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:11 am
Nice Bilt Maggie - but sorry to read you've had issues with it.

My old one (2013/2014 iirc) was before they started using Mastery trem units (the old plate/AVRI units were in use then) and I have to say that it was rock solid. I'd hope that if there's an issue it's with the parts used rather than any drop in workmanship from Bilt - I was really surprised with how great mine was in that regard ... it was absolutely rock solid and tuning, in particular, was stellar.

Hopefully it all gets sorted. :)
I'm hoping that with a bit of tinkering, things will get sorted. I've got the Mastery bridge and trem plate on my Jazzmaster and it is absolutely rock solid. It holds tune like a Telecaster.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am

Despot wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:14 am
Forgot to add ... mine had Lollar JM pickups in it and, yep, the bridge was ice-pick bright too. Perhaps it's due to the pot values? I've had Regals in other guitars without issue - and I've had Lollar JM pickups in other guitars that didn't sound quite as bright.
What guitars did you have the Regals in, and what pots did you use? I love the neck on this guitar and before I plugged it in and really wailed on it, I knew it was, at heart, a good, if not great, guitar.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:38 am

I had them in a MIM Deluxe Telecaster with 250k pots iirc Maggie - I used a neck pickup in an American 'Telebration' Tele Custom as well (with a Lollar Charlie Christian in the bridge) - again without changing the pots (so I'm guessing they were standard Fender values).

I quite like Regals - they're good pickups and though not identical to vintage WRHBs ... they're a damn sight better replacement for modern Fender WRHBs. But I've grown to love Bareknuckle 'Mule' pickups more and so I tend to use them whenever I decide to replace a humbucker these days.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 am

Sure enough, the bridge had settled lower on the bass side and a tug with my fingers brought it up (heheheheh, I'm 12) and the tuning stability improved. I think it just needs a good setup first and then I can make an informed opinion on the Regals.

But I gotta say, those original Goldfoils sounded like heaven in the demo vid.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:53 am
Sure enough, the bridge had settled lower on the bass side and a tug with my fingers brought it up (heheheheh, I'm 12) and the tuning stability improved. I think it just needs a good setup first and then I can make an informed opinion on the Regals.

But I gotta say, those original Goldfoils sounded like heaven in the demo vid.
Yeah, I remember with the Mastery that came with one of my guitars, I would find the Regals' tone getting sharper and sharper. Then I would hear a fret buzz and find the Mastery had sunk. It's part of why I swapped in the Staytrem. However, I've had Masteries that were rock solid as well.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:46 pm

The Mastery on my ECJM has been rock solid for the last nine years. So, I was kind of surprised by the new one.

Nelvis With Mastery Bridge And Vibrato, May 06, 2015 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr