Am Pro Jaguar Pickguard

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
raf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Am Pro Jaguar Pickguard

Post by raf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:09 am

Hi All,

I'm trying to find a black 3 ply pickguard for a 2017 American Pro Jaguar, a vintage ones holes don't line up, no one seems to sell after market ones and Fender don't sell them, I've emailed a few sites that make custom pickguards but they want a template but I don't have a pickguard to make one.

Does anyone know where I could get one or a template?

Thanks

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Am Pro Jaguar Pickguard

Post by Embenny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:24 am

raf wrote:Hi All,

I'm trying to find a black 3 ply pickguard for a 2017 American Pro Jaguar, a vintage ones holes don't line up, no one seems to sell after market ones and Fender don't sell them, I've emailed a few sites that make custom pickguards but they want a template but I don't have a pickguard to make one.

Does anyone know where I could get one or a template?

Thanks
I ran into this issue looking for an AmPro JM pickguard. In the end, I just had to wait a few weeks and I got what I was looking for from Stratosphere. They part out AmPros regularly, and sometimes they sell loaded guards, but occasionally you can buy just a plain guard.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

raf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by raf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:13 pm

mbene085 wrote:
I ran into this issue looking for an AmPro JM pickguard. In the end, I just had to wait a few weeks and I got what I was looking for from Stratosphere. They part out AmPros regularly, and sometimes they sell loaded guards, but occasionally you can buy just a plain guard.
I tried Stratosphere they currently don't have any and don't know when they might get anymore.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 pm

raf wrote:
mbene085 wrote:
I tried Stratosphere they currently don't have any and don't know when they might get anymore.
They told me the same thing, and then 3 weeks later had one for like $30.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:36 pm

Have you tried SneakyT? Solid gent who does great work. Worth an ask at least.
SneakyT wrote:Hey Guys, Been a long time since I've had the time to be active on this board. Sorry to anyone who has sent me messages that went unanswered. I have become too busy to deal with multiple message options so please just send me emails from now on. I have turned off the PM options on this board but feel free to send me email at twneagle@gmail.com

Thanks for your understanding
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

raf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by raf » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:Have you tried SneakyT? Solid gent who does great work. Worth an ask at least.
Just got a reply from SneakyT, he really needs the guitar, the old guard or a template to make one.

I've located one on a French website, I'll try and get that, the site is in French so I'll need to use google translator.

raf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by raf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:33 am

raf wrote:
I've located one on a French website, I'll try and get that, the site is in French so I'll need to use google translator.
The guy won't send outside of France.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:52 pm

raf wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:Have you tried SneakyT? Solid gent who does great work. Worth an ask at least.
Just got a reply from SneakyT, he really needs the guitar, the old guard or a template to make one.

What guard came on the guitar?
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

raf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by raf » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:20 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote: What guard came on the guitar?
No guard, I just bought the body and neck and have pieced it together with vintage parts, everything fits fine except the guard, which fits in place with some minor modification but only a few of the screw holes line up and I don't really want to drill new holes in the body.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:30 am

raf wrote:
No guard, I just bought the body and neck and have pieced it together with vintage parts, everything fits fine except the guard, which fits in place with some minor modification but only a few of the screw holes line up and I don't really want to drill new holes in the body.
Got it! I was wondering why it didn't have a guard. I didn't know you bought it from parts. Maybe someone could make a tracing of theirs or you?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:39 am

raf wrote:
Oh, I've had a major lapse of memory. I was thinking of my own struggles with finding AmPro pickguards, but the JM has a moved toggle switch location. The Jag doesn't.

Have you tried a USA/AVRI jaguar pickguard? There's absolutely nothing different-looking about the routing of the AmPro pickguard. The differences are in the control plates, like they are with the Marrguar. And AVRI pickguards fit Marrs just fine.

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:08 am

Yep, I was thinking about the same thing. AVRI pickguards and aftermarket pickguards for AVRI Jaguar should fit ...

raf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by raf » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:45 am

pikmin wrote:Yep, I was thinking about the same thing. AVRI pickguards and aftermarket pickguards for AVRI Jaguar should fit ...
I've tried 2 pickguards that are suppose to be for american vintage, an allparts one and a Chinese made one, both fit with some minor modification to the bridge mounting holes but neither butt up against the top and bottom plates quite right and most of the screw holes don't line up.

[edit] Just looking at some pictures of actual vintage jags most of them the guards don't butt up against the plates cleanly or perfectly line up.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:29 pm

You need to loosen the screws for the plates a few turns so you can move them around while fitting the guard, then screw them back down when in optimal placement WRT positioning against the guard.

You'll also probably find a genuine Fender guard fits better than Allparts or other cheap import crap.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:25 pm

raf wrote:
pikmin wrote:Yep, I was thinking about the same thing. AVRI pickguards and aftermarket pickguards for AVRI Jaguar should fit ...
I've tried 2 pickguards that are suppose to be for american vintage, an allparts one and a Chinese made one, both fit with some minor modification to the bridge mounting holes but neither butt up against the top and bottom plates quite right and most of the screw holes don't line up.

[edit] Just looking at some pictures of actual vintage jags most of them the guards don't butt up against the plates cleanly or perfectly line up.
Allparts guards were based on MIJs. I know the JM ones were, at least, and the only allparts Jag guard I own fits my MIJ and NOT my MIA. They don't advertise as such, but it's the truth. And all bets are off for the Chinese one.

Like Andy said, buy a real American one from Fender and loosen the screws for the plates. Fitting a jaguar pickguard takes some finessing at the best of times.