Buying First Jazzmaster (American Professional Series?)

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Buying First Jazzmaster (American Professional Series?)

Post by station_2_station » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:47 am

Having played a Jaguar S-S for about five years I would like to add a nice Jazzmaster to my 'rig'.
Let alone, I have never had the budget for an American Made guitar, (I have a MIM Classic Player Jaguar).
Cutting to the chase I find myself highly interested in the American Professional Series, or might I be better off with something else.
The bulk of what I play is 'experimental' but I improvise and actually employee theory, my biggest influences on my playing would be bands like Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr or even Frank Zappa's guitar work. I'm sorry if this is convoluted I'm not seeking anyones tone, I'm just looking for the appropriate guitar for the music I play. As well I miss being able to bend strings, having used a Jaguar, its great for chording but less then ideal for bends and solo bits.

I suppose my two concerns lie in the neck and the electronics, I really enjoy the satin neck. I'm just concerned about the E string, as well the new design on the fretboard. I have played a couple, no big issues, but it is apparent. Long story short I would like to come up with a nice offset, particularly Jazzmaster based that would work for my interests.

Also if I am expecting too much feel free to let me know, I'm doing my best to find and purchase a quality guitar. As I mentioned I've used MIM Jags/Strats, some Gibsons. I always loved the Jazzmaster, and unbashably been influenced by bands like Sonic Youth and Dinosaur, as well I'm not ridiculous I do enjoy playing some rock and roll, jazz, or blues. I understand multiple guitars exist for this reason.

If anyone has input on the neck or has experience with this guitar let me know, if you think I might be better suited to something else I am open to suggestions. Keeping my Budget at about 1,600, the shops near me do stock a few JM so I'd have my pick of the lot or the ability to order what I want and make sure its 'okay' before purchasing. I just want to make sure I'm pursuing the right thing here, I feel like the models from a few years ago would be good, but the new ones intrigue me, I'm at a point with music where I'm "out with the old in the new", and getting back to my roots. I spent sometime playing Jazz and heavier music, I'd like to get back to my roots of experimental music and employe the theory/concepts I have learned from playing other forms of music.

Thank you very music for reading!

gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Buying First Jazzmaster (American Professional Series?)

Post by gusgorman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:57 am

Have you looked at the AV65 ?
If you're considering an American made guitar this is also worth looking at.. especially as it is much closer to what the bands you mention would have used.

station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by station_2_station » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:01 am

I have flirted with the idea a bit and I do love their look. Are you sure the pickups and fretboard radius would allow for things such as bends for solos and what not? I don't solo much at all keep in mind, but since you know what I'm into you probably know what I mean. Then again I have been playing a Jaguar for years, so perhaps even with the 7.5 radius, I might have more room than I did on the short scale with the 9.5 radius.
The new one just seems kind of designed well, but the AVRI, really does seem interesting to me, I love the matching headstock options as shallow as that may sound haha.

For what its worth I like to get fuzzy, use distortion but nothing too crazy.

Thanks for your input!

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:41 am

The AV65s are gonna be closer to the guitars J Mascis, Thurston Moore, and Lee Ranaldo have been playing for decades. I'd wager they're perfectly fine for soloing...

Just out of curiosity, what about your Jag makes you feel like it's not good for solos?

Also, I'm guessing you're a Bowie fan too...

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:40 am

Another for AV65.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:27 am

Try all of these guitars in person if you can:

1) AmPro
2) AV65
3) 60's Lacquer
4) Troy Van Leeuwen

I threw the TVL in there because it's a great, great JM (I say that as the owner of both a TVL and American-made JMs), and is mostly made of US parts, assembled in Mexico. But with its poly finish, it has a totally different feel to an AV65 despite having the same radius and nut width. Similarly for the lacquer JM, it's really got killer specs and is extremely well-made even if it isn't MIA.

A used AV65, or new example of any of the others I listed, would be within your budget, and they're all fantastic quality Jazzmasters. To me, the absolute most important thing is for the neck to feel right - that's literally how you connect with the guitar. All 4 of those guitars have different-feeling necks (between the profile, fret size, finish, etc).

You can easily change up the tone with a pickup swap (e.g. if you don't love the AmPro's nontraditional pickups, or want something nontraditional in all those other AV65-equipped JMs), but it's never a solid plan to buy a guitar whose neck you don't like, even though that can be (expensively) changed. Try them all, and buy the one that feels the best with your eyes closed.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

gnoleb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gnoleb » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:12 am

station_2_station wrote:Are you sure the pickups and fretboard radius would allow for things such as bends for solos and what not?
The pickups don't factor into it, but the neck shape, radius, and especially frets heavily factor if you'll find it comfortable. A lot of people can play those 7.25 inch radius / vintage fret necks just fine...but that is because they're used to them. I myself cannot get used to them. I've tried several times with various guitars. I guess I jump back and forth from guitars with bigger frets and flatter radius, I dunno. But I know I won't ever try to do that again.

I'd stick to what feels comfortable and don't let other's opinions sway you. You're the one that is supposed to play it.

station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by station_2_station » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:43 pm

601210 wrote:The AV65s are gonna be closer to the guitars J Mascis, Thurston Moore, and Lee Ranaldo have been playing for decades. I'd wager they're perfectly fine for soloing...

Just out of curiosity, what about your Jag makes you feel like it's not good for solos?

Also, I'm guessing you're a Bowie fan too...
Haha indeed I grew up with Bowie and Zappa in the house so my brain is quite melted from those artists haha..Thank you for your reply, yeah man I'm not sure what it is with the Jaguar that is missing me up with solos. I can do them, it just gets clustered at times, but I don't even know if I can attribute that to the Short Scale, because I believe Gibsons are about the same. Could be the fret spacing, but honestly yeah I've been trying to wrap my head around this for a bit..

Also thanks for pointing out the AV65 specs are closer to the guitars of J Mascis and Sonic Youth, I was wondering what specs they work with. I know the whole run down with J and his high action, etc, but SY have so much gear it was a bit of a crapshoot. '

station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by station_2_station » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:49 pm

Thank you very much for your in depth response, I was very curious about the TVL, seems pretty versatile and well though out in terms of design. I'll make sure to check them out, its good to hear it holds its own with the Americans, the finish on it is very cool and I'm not even a huge fan of red, but they nailed it. The neck is Satin or glossy.. I will check but I know its one or the other.

Also thanks for mentioning how important neck selection was, I want to go and give each a proper shot. I played the AmPro so far, good neck, weird with the E string, but I could potentially live with it, the Lacquer is a great guitar if they didn't have the finish on the neck but thats just my opinion I'm sure some people love it. I feel like its a toss up between a AmPro/Standard or TVL, of course giving the 65 consideration as they're beautiful guitars.

mbene085 wrote:Try all of these guitars in person if you can:

1) AmPro
2) AV65
3) 60's Lacquer
4) Troy Van Leeuwen

I threw the TVL in there because it's a great, great JM (I say that as the owner of both a TVL and American-made JMs), and is mostly made of US parts, assembled in Mexico. But with its poly finish, it has a totally different feel to an AV65 despite having the same radius and nut width. Similarly for the lacquer JM, it's really got killer specs and is extremely well-made even if it isn't MIA.

A used AV65, or new example of any of the others I listed, would be within your budget, and they're all fantastic quality Jazzmasters. To me, the absolute most important thing is for the neck to feel right - that's literally how you connect with the guitar. All 4 of those guitars have different-feeling necks (between the profile, fret size, finish, etc).

You can easily change up the tone with a pickup swap (e.g. if you don't love the AmPro's nontraditional pickups, or want something nontraditional in all those other AV65-equipped JMs), but it's never a solid plan to buy a guitar whose neck you don't like, even though that can be (expensively) changed. Try them all, and buy the one that feels the best with your eyes closed.

station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by station_2_station » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Hey guys I appreciate all the replies and help so far. Thanks for validating how important the neck is from the replies, I'm glad to know I'm on the right page. So I'm going to compare and contrast some more, the AmPro seems "safe" despite the low E string concern, the TVL caught my interest for its design and the AV65's of course look and probably feel fantastic, its something I should spend more time looking at. Kind of a shame the cost is so high, but Gibson gets away with murder so I'm not gonna complain too hard here. Haha

Once again, thank you and I appreciate everyones input feel free to make any other suggestions or ask questions. Its been super helpful

Cheers!

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:29 am

Hey!

Can't say much about which JM to take... (I'd love to have either a 65 AVRI in Olympic or Vintage White/or a Black or Sonic Grey One with Matching Headstock myself) ...but I'm a Jag Player too. And I had the same issues. I couldn't bend the strings because there was some kind of dead spot where my tone would just get sucked... and I had a lot of issues with the single coils and Feedback when playing loud and/or fuzz drenched... (I have a japanese thinline jag by the way, which may explain the pickup problems).
I took it to my guitar tech and told him what problems I faced - and he made it work - soloing was possible! (back then even with the stock bridge on) - I then went two steps further and swapped the bridge for a mastery (highly increased sustain) and the pickups for SD P-Rails (could have been any other PU probably) and since then I have a wonderful guitar with great playability and no feedback issues (I play a lot of Fuzz Pedals and music that could be considered as heavy) that is great for soloing and experimental/noise
stuff!

I don't want to keep you from buying another guitar - but give your Jag another try! ;)

station_2_station
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by station_2_station » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:16 am

Ah yeah dude your right on with how I would like to fix up and slightly modify my Jag, the pick-ups in mine are pretty "hot" which is nice but very cool to hear you were able to replace yours with a single coiled HBr's. Thats exactly the wavelength I'm on, so thank you for your experience, I still love my Jag its wonderful for chording and adding the Jazzy just completes the family. Right on with the bridge swap though, I need to do that and swap p-ups, I'm really glad you replied. Mine still has very good playability, for your solos, did you end up raising the action or keeping it 'normal'?
The whole reason for getting into a JM is actually to cure those 'dead spots', and be able to solo a little more if needed. Modifying the Jag is going to make it a rhythm monster though, so keeping that.

Luckily, I can go test out the AM Pro series again, I think they have an AV65, but not entirely sure, I'm just glad they at least have a few of the AmPro models, the FSR, and 3, of 4 colors. So I can also test out the differences between the builds see if one plays nicer than another. As we know with Gibson, I actually found a really nice SG but I didn't bite because I need to figure this JM situation out once and for all. Everytime I play one, I know it'll complement my sound as well keep things simple, just that and the Jag. Mod them out to spec, and pray the narrow tall frets aren't too awkward haha. FWIW I have tried the AmPro and that is weird, the frets and the spacing on the E string. However its not a huge issue.

The AV65s are awesome, but to my degree only over priced because I would probably pick up swap, and bridge swap. The white is gorgeous though..

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:Hey!

Can't say much about which JM to take... (I'd love to have either a 65 AVRI in Olympic or Vintage White/or a Black or Sonic Grey One with Matching Headstock myself) ...but I'm a Jag Player too. And I had the same issues. I couldn't bend the strings because there was some kind of dead spot where my tone would just get sucked... and I had a lot of issues with the single coils and Feedback when playing loud and/or fuzz drenched... (I have a japanese thinline jag by the way, which may explain the pickup problems).
I took it to my guitar tech and told him what problems I faced - and he made it work - soloing was possible! (back then even with the stock bridge on) - I then went two steps further and swapped the bridge for a mastery (highly increased sustain) and the pickups for SD P-Rails (could have been any other PU probably) and since then I have a wonderful guitar with great playability and no feedback issues (I play a lot of Fuzz Pedals and music that could be considered as heavy) that is great for soloing and experimental/noise
stuff!

I don't want to keep you from buying another guitar - but give your Jag another try!

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:04 am

Yeah, I guess the action is slightly higher than it was. But still quite low. Still good for playing Surf! And actually I can't remember the original status. But there was some buzzing that is gone now.

And the P-Rails are actually HB sized split coils (P-Rails, Single Coils (Rails) or the two od them combined as a Humbucker - but I tend to obly use the P90 in the neck and the single coil in the bridge position) - I also have open Chrome/German Silver covers - which could cancel some of the feedback.

clef051
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by clef051 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:02 am

Wildwood guitars has some av65 thin skin models that have all the vintage specs but with a 9.5 radius. I know they are quite bit higher than your price range, but saw you were thinking about the 65 already.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:26 pm

clef051 wrote:Wildwood guitars has some av65 thin skin models that have all the vintage specs but with a 9.5 radius. I know they are quite bit higher than your price range, but saw you were thinking about the 65 already.
I Agree! If I was in the market for a new guitar I'd get one of those Charcoal Metallic Frost AV65's at Wildwood...they are gorgeous!

Listen, I have an American Pro Jazzmaster and right now it is my favorite Jazzmaster to play...it unseated my perfect AVRI 62 that I haven't put down since 2005! But if you want a sound closer to Sonic Youth and J Mascis you gotta go with the Classic Jazzmaster Setup.

As far as my American Pro goes I have been able to get some gorgeous washy sounds like Cocteau Twins, the Cure and Slowdive. If you want to compare alternative/Indie band sounds I think it's better at achieving that. It plays ambient sounds real nice.

But if you want more grit you gotta go AVRI, AV65 or Vintage. Or get a J Mascis Signature....Not the Squier, hunt down one of those beautiful purple sparkle fenders he put out at one time!