My New Cyclone in 3TS

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
sirjeremy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

My New Cyclone in 3TS

Post by sirjeremy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:35 pm

Just got this for a deal on Craigslist here in NYC for $200, with a brand new Road Runner hard case. I had to pounce. Such an interesting guitar, in good shape too. Not the best cut of rosewood but at least the neck is made well. It's been cleaned and conditioned since these photos were taken. The bridge HB isn't great, but the single coil in the neck is pretty decent actually, if you play with the tone. Mostly really thin and tinny. Others seem to have the same feelings. I plan on scrapping the electronics anyway. All-in-all, pretty sweet deal for a unique offset.

Anyone have suggestions for a single coil in the neck? I like the aesthetic of the Cobain Mustangs n stuff and I play a lot of punk/alt stuff too. I like the flat covers. I'm thinking a black single coil and a black SD JB or maybe even the GFS Crunchy PAT. If you guys have the GFS let me know how you like them. My GFS Crunchy Rails is way too loud and muddy.
Check it out!
Alongside my blacked out modded Affinity Strat:

palesnow67
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: My New Cyclone in 3TS

Post by palesnow67 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:21 pm

Pretty cool dude! What year is it? I think that rosewood could really shine with the right kind of oil
10. Signatures must be no more than two lines.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:06 am

Sweet, cyclones are great. I myself really like the neck pickup. I'm not very knowledgeable in pickups, so wait for others to chime in. Maybe used mustang pickup for the neck?
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:10 am

I've found the GFS crunchy pat to be muddy with way too much gain. Could be alright if you're going for a high gain sound, but I think there are better options out there for you

sirjeremy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sirjeremy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:21 am

palesnow67 wrote:Pretty cool dude! What year is it? I think that rosewood could really shine with the right kind of oil
Same! I haven't been able to pinpoint a year but i'm pretty sure it is from 2011. I think that was the last run they did. An FSR I believe.
leokula wrote:Sweet, cyclones are great. I myself really like the neck pickup. I'm not very knowledgeable in pickups, so wait for others to chime in. Maybe used mustang pickup for the neck?
It really grabbed my eye when I saw it, even though I've seen them before. Really prefer hardtail strat/tele bridges (i plan to get one of the new Fender Offsets soon) but yeah. These are really unique. The neck pickup has some cool tonal properties but overall I'm not crazy about it. The lows are great but the highs sound really separate and thin to me

sirjeremy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sirjeremy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 am

Kwyjibo wrote:I've found the GFS crunchy pat to be muddy with way too much gain. Could be alright if you're going for a high gain sound, but I think there are better options out there for you
It seems like thats a common thing among GFS pickups. Crazy. I wouldn't say I use lots of gain so thats a problem for me. Appreciate the input!

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:40 pm

sirjeremy wrote:Anyone have suggestions for a single coil in the neck? I like the aesthetic of the Cobain Mustangs n stuff and I play a lot of punk/alt stuff too. I like the flat covers. I'm thinking a black single coil and a black SD JB or maybe even the GFS Crunchy PAT. If you guys have the GFS let me know how you like them. My GFS Crunchy Rails is way too loud and muddy.
An SD lipstick tube in the neck may be interesting. Eastwood Phase 4 humbuckers occasionally come up for sale and one might sound interesting in the bridge. They're basically potted Univox humbuckers so they don't sound quite as open but you don't get the microphonics. The sound is kind of like a Super Distortion but significantly louder.

sirjeremy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sirjeremy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Mike S wrote:
sirjeremy wrote:Anyone have suggestions for a single coil in the neck? I like the aesthetic of the Cobain Mustangs n stuff and I play a lot of punk/alt stuff too. I like the flat covers. I'm thinking a black single coil and a black SD JB or maybe even the GFS Crunchy PAT. If you guys have the GFS let me know how you like them. My GFS Crunchy Rails is way too loud and muddy.
An SD lipstick tube in the neck may be interesting. Eastwood Phase 4 humbuckers occasionally come up for sale and one might sound interesting in the bridge. They're basically potted Univox humbuckers so they don't sound quite as open but you don't get the microphonics. The sound is kind of like a Super Distortion but significantly louder.
These are some really unique suggestions, much appreciated man. Eastwood has been on my radar for a minute now, soooo cool, especially for big Nirvana fans like myself. Pretty affordable for repro guitars from way back. I am gonna look into those pickups. I'm intrigued. Cheers man!