NGD Bass VI swap: Squier + new tort

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD Bass VI swap: Squier + new tort

Post by MKR » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:09 am

I have been a bass VI owner for a couple years with a fender pawnshop version. I really like the idea of the instrument, but i was never really fond of the pawnshop version's deviations (the switch and the bridge pickup).

So i sold it and picked up a used Squier version. For my needs at least the Squier is so much better. I really feel the pickups and electronics are a step up from the fender. The guitar sounds so much better. Setting it up was fine. The neck is great. I put in the trem from my 60s lacquer jag and it all plays fantastic. The dude i bought it from had labella's on there as well as a set of baritone strings which i may try out.

I immediately bought a new tortoise shell pickguard for it. I picked up one of sneaky T's red tort drop in replacements. It was so worth it. such a beautiful tort. Totally recommend to anyone who wants to replace their crappy squier printed tort pickguards. It's interesting to note however, that Squier HAVE improved their tortoise shell prints recently. I remember a few years ago the torts were really really horrible and mostly just brown and black - almost pixellated looking. My new bass VI was made in 2017 and the tort on these models is a big improvement over the older ones. It has a lot more depth and looks more realistic. not great, but not THAT bad either.

here are some pics.

also for comparison, here is a pic of the stock pickguard:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD Bass VI swap: Squier + new tort

Post by Embenny » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:17 am

Looks great! I have a black sneakyT guard on my black VI (for that Gilmour effect) and love it, but white with tort is a classic look. What strings are you using?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:23 am

mbene085 wrote:Looks great! I have a black sneakyT guard on my black VI (for that Gilmour effect) and love it, but white with tort is a classic look. What strings are you using?
so right now i have labella round wounds. great strings.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:40 am

MKR wrote:
mbene085 wrote:Looks great! I have a black sneakyT guard on my black VI (for that Gilmour effect) and love it, but white with tort is a classic look. What strings are you using?
so right now i have labella round wounds. great strings.
What gauge? I haven't taken the plunge on La Bellas yet. Still using cheapie D'Addarios.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:13 am

mbene085 wrote:
What gauge? I haven't taken the plunge on La Bellas yet. Still using cheapie D'Addarios.
095 - 026

Honestly the biggest difference is the low E string. Just go out and buy a single 095 string and replace it. I did it with my old fender VI and combined with the stock string it was a huge improvement.

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:45 pm

MKR wrote:I have been a bass VI owner for a couple years with a fender pawnshop version. I really like the idea of the instrument, but i was never really fond of the pawnshop version's deviations (the switch and the bridge pickup).

So i sold it and picked up a used Squier version. For my needs at least the Squier is so much better. I really feel the pickups and electronics are a step up from the fender. The guitar sounds so much better. Setting it up was fine. The neck is great. I put in the trem from my 60s lacquer jag and it all plays fantastic. The dude i bought it from had labella's on there as well as a set of baritone strings which i may try out.

I immediately bought a new tortoise shell pickguard for it. I picked up one of sneaky T's red tort drop in replacements. It was so worth it. such a beautiful tort. Totally recommend to anyone who wants to replace their crappy squier printed tort pickguards. It's interesting to note however, that Squier HAVE improved their tortoise shell prints recently. I remember a few years ago the torts were really really horrible and mostly just brown and black - almost pixellated looking. My new bass VI was made in 2017 and the tort on these models is a big improvement over the older ones. It has a lot more depth and looks more realistic. not great, but not THAT bad either.

here are some pics.

also for comparison, here is a pic of the stock pickguard:

Sneaky T? Did you get this on eBay? Is his screen name Twneagle on eBay?

I need a red tort replacement for mine too. Not digging the stock one. Thanks!

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:32 am

daysleeperjeff wrote:

Sneaky T? Did you get this on eBay? Is his screen name Twneagle on eBay?
yes. that's the one.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:14 am

MKR wrote:
mbene085 wrote:
095 - 026

Honestly the biggest difference is the low E string. Just go out and buy a single 095 string and replace it. I did it with my old fender VI and combined with the stock string it was a huge improvement.
I'm definitely trying to make that work. My problem was replacing the trem with a hardtail plate I got off Reverb. It gave me the tone/sustain change I wanted, but the darn thing isn't cut to handle the ball-end of bass strings. The D'Addarios fit because they have smaller balls...I really need to just take a file to it to fit a .095 but haven't gotten around to it. I'm in love with the tone of roundwounds on it, though.

SneakyT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SneakyT » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Thanks for the ups. ;D
Troy Neagle Luthiery & Custom Pickguards

Please contact me at Reverb
https://reverb.com/shop/neagle-luthier

Big tuna
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Big tuna » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:03 am

Cool guitar the tort looks great! I like the block inlay on those a real classic look for sure!