Lee Ranaldo 12 String Deimel Offset

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Lee Ranaldo 12 String Deimel Offset

Post by soggy mittens » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:02 am

This is from years ago but only just stumbled upon it, very nice.. 8)
Deimel 12-String for Lee Ranaldo

Basically this guitar was an experimental edition of the offset waist series I did together with Pascal Stoffels. We just wanted to put anything that came up in our minds into one guitar. Since we both loved the sound of Sonic Youth we wanted this guitar to be the ideal “Sonic Youth” guitar. We never really intended, that it would be at any point one of Lee Ranaldo guitars. This just happened years later.
Once Nikki Sudden showed up at my studio to let me know about Sonic Youth wanting to get to know my guitars. Nikki just had shown his own Deimel custom guitar to Sonic Youth during their soundcheck and they got excited about it. So having the “right” piece already on hand, I brought the ideal “Sonic Youth” guitar backstage. First I showed it to Thurston and later to Lee, who immediately liked it. He told me to send it to New York. That night before in Italy somebody offered him a hand built amplifier and now he had to choose between these two options. Luckily he decided for the guitar and so it found its place in the Sonic Youth program titled “Expressway your Skull” and two other songs. It also later appeared as a X-Ray picture for the sleeve design of the Sonic Youth DVD “Corporate Ghost” on the front cover. Just recently Lee Ranaldo is using it quite a lot fot his new solo album.
The guitar has 12 strings, four pickups, one tremolo, one pickup leslie circuit, and a variety of switches. We searched for a noble, sort of “english” look, and decided for a see through green finish on mahogany, an oiled Wenge neck, and a gold anodized pickguard. All 12 tuners were mounted on a standard 6 string headstock on the left side! This was achieved by turning the octave string tuners by 90 degrees, using left-handed tuners, and put them in between the regular tuners in a Rickenbacker manner.
http://deimelguitarworks.com/guitars/cu ... c98ba2045f

If OSG has tort me anything...

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Lee Ranaldo 12 String Deimel Offset

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:37 am

WTFFFF

IVE SEEN A FEW 12s with tremolos before but I always thought the octave strings were done string thru so the only ones being made vex were the normal strings. Is that a thing, having all 12 strings move on the trem?

I want one of these so bad. I wonder how hard it'd be to get a trem plate for 12 strings?

Corporate Ghost rules too. I've sat and watched it more than most movies I've seen. The Superstar video is probably my favorite.

leokula
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by leokula » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:48 am

Holy shit! What a story... That DVD cover is awesome, I never bothered to look for that guitar anywhere on the internet, to find this out now is pretty amazing. Thanks for posting this :)
Jaguar > Jazzmaster :)

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:35 am

my 12 string was set up so all of the strings went throught the tremolo
but then i disabled the top 3 strings and only doubled the G B and E and made it a 9 string.

Tepr
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Tepr » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:11 am

Interesting!

I must admit that I wanted the subject to be Lee Ranaldo 12 String DREMEL Offset

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:25 am

i have decided many a years ago, that when i am filthy rich, i will get myself a Deimel too.

...IF i should ever be filthy rich. :bored:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.