G&L Doheny

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: G&L Doheny

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 pm

sirspens wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:39 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:34 pm
sirspens wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:45 am

Last I checked, G&L had not yet started offering anything but the standard neck on the Doheny. They keep saying it is coming, but I haven't seen it offered yet.
G&L Custom Shop order?
Sorry. To be more clear: G&L Custom Shop does not offer anything but the standard Doheny neck. There are no variations yet.
Ah, right on. Good thing I like that neck and am not really that picky in the first place. All my guitars have very different necks.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 pm
sirspens wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:39 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:34 pm
G&L Custom Shop order?
Sorry. To be more clear: G&L Custom Shop does not offer anything but the standard Doheny neck. There are no variations yet.
Ah, right on. Good thing I like that neck and am not really that picky in the first place. All my guitars have very different necks.
I'm a little bit picky, I don't like the chunky Tele necks. But the neck they chose is my favorite.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:55 am

I just posted a side-by-side comparison of the Doheny, with its wide-bobbin MFD pickups, to the ASAT Special, with its Jumbo MFD pickups over here:
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 6&t=108974

It's the 11th post, you'll see a picture of a Doheny next to an ASAT. Can't miss it.

I bring this up because I was disappointed with G&L when they first showed us the Doheny. First, why just a copy of the Jazzmaster body? Why not use something like the SC-2 to change it up a bit? Second, why develop new pickups when you have the Jumbo MFD pickups?

For that second question, I suggest reading and listening to the side-by-side. I honestly think if you put 1meg pots with the Jumbo MFD pickups, I don't think you'd find much difference between them and the wide-bobbin MFD pickups G&L "developed" exclusively for the Doheny.

I know G&L has had fun with the Doheny, and it's a fun guitar, especially offering the PTB tone controls, but did they waste their time with these pickups?

RocknRollShakeUp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RocknRollShakeUp » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:57 am

46346 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:14 pm
RocknRollShakeUp wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:39 pm
Well, I was close to ordering a Doheny, maybe even a Custom Shop, as these are now available, but I'm not sure about the thin neck, and the nut and string spacing specs.

Just as a reference point, do any of you with Doheny's also play Fender American Standards or Professionals ( 1.650" (42 mm) Nut Width), or Gibson Les Paul Historics (1.695" (43 mm) Nut Width), and if so do you have any problem going to the Doheny?

I also have a Fender Wildwood Thin Skin Tele, and a Custom Shop 64 Closet Classic Jazzmaster, that I am fine with as far as string spacing and nut width is concerned, although I don't know what the specs are off the top of my head. On the Jazzmaster I actually use a Staytrem bridge.

The other issue is the slim nature of the Doheny's neck, but I could live with a slim neck, whereas if the string spacing is too "off" for me, then that is a deal breaker.

Thoughts?

Oh, Also, is there a difference between "custom shop" G&L MFD pickups vs the "regular" USA MFD pickups?

hmmm - i've never thought of the Doheny neck as being particularly thin. it's thicker than my main Jazzmaster (1959), but a bit thinner (near the headstock) than my 2015 AV65, which is the chunkiest Fender offset that i own, out of several.
according to my spec sheet, i've got 0.820" depth at first fret, and 0.870" at 12th fret. i believe this is standard issue for the Doheny with standard 9.5" radius.

in terms of width, mine has 1-11/16" nut width (1.695), and yields a string spacing of 1- 5/8" (1.625).

i dig the very slightly more spacious feel of the Doheny, compared to my '59 JM, it's a bit more like my SG or '76 Explorer in terms of spacing. similar to my SG in thickness. not as thick as my super-chunk Explorer...

i have somewhat big hands. if you're worried about the Doheny feeling cramped or too small, it's not.
i've been seeing these (and now the Tribute models) in good stores, while traveling the US, even while passing through Bakersfield, CA and Naples, FL ! if you live near a city, you should be able to try one.

and of course, if you are going to order one, they do have multiple options for the neck specs. were do you live?
i've encountered several dealers who are pretty good with the spec options.

cheers!
Well guys thank you for your help and comments, I purchased a USA Empress DOheny with the regular modern classic neck, got a good price on Reverb and decided to take a chance.

In the meantime I had actually played a Tribute DOheny at a store and totally got along with its neck, so the USA DOheny I reckon should be at least as good.

I’m exited! I should have it next week. It’s surf green w matching headstock, mint guard and parchment pickups, and with a DFV.

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RIORIO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:25 pm

I'm so glad I held out....this one came "used" from Dave's. An employee spec'd it out (with EVERY OPTION) and passed it along at cost. VERY excited

Image080095C by Collopyjosh, on Flickr

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:36 pm

This is my second-favorite Doheny. It has the Andromeda finish which has a small (maybe 0.020") holographic flake applied slightly sparsely over a black base. The flakes are all the same size but they really shine great when it catches the light, they did a real good job with it. The body on this one is empress which brings the weight down to 6.5 lbs. It also has an ebony fingerboard and Sperzel locking tuners on the reverse headstock.

All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:18 am

tammyw wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:36 pm
This is my second-favorite Doheny. It has the Andromeda finish which has a small (maybe 0.020") holographic flake applied slightly sparsely over a black base. The flakes are all the same size but they really shine great when it catches the light, they did a real good job with it. The body on this one is empress which brings the weight down to 6.5 lbs. It also has an ebony fingerboard and Sperzel locking tuners on the reverse headstock.

Beautiful, the finish reminds me of my Jagmaster from the 2000's.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

rfc
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rfc » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:12 am

How are folks feeling about these now that some time has passed and the hype was matured a little? I'm on the brink of ordering one

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:18 am

tammyw wrote:

That's a phenomenal finish, and 6.5 lbs for a Jazzmaster-shaped object is equally great.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:14 am

RIORIO wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Image080095C by Collopyjosh, on Flickr
tammyw wrote:

I really don't go for reverse headstocks but on these two they look brilliant!
All the cheeses....

f__P
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by f__P » Tue May 02, 2023 8:45 am

rfc wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:12 am
How are folks feeling about these now that some time has passed and the hype was matured a little? I'm on the brink of ordering one
I bought a tribute a couple months ago and I'm really really impressed. It's the black one with the lacquered neck.
The neck is amazing, super comfortable - easily on pair with the vintage G&L F100 I used to own. The bridge is awesome too, stays in tune well and can do the classic glide guitar. Pickups are great, I was a bit skeptical before trying them thinking they would be too bright. They are indeed bright but the full range (both in highs and lows) make them just full, not piercing. They kinda remind me of aluminum guitars and their extended frequency gamut. Rolling off a little highs and lows it sounds remarkably similar to a vintage jazzmaster

Jet Age Eric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jet Age Eric » Tue May 02, 2023 9:54 am

rfc wrote:
I had to sell my U.S.-made and miss it tremendously. I plan on buying a Trib ASAP. -E

beninma
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beninma » Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:40 pm

rfc wrote:
Still absolutely love mine (A USA Option Order one that the dealer had) after 3.5 years... I play it constantly. It stays in tune perfectly, no obvious wear, easy to use on almost any amp or effect. About the only thing I have ever needed to do to it other than normal cleaning would be DeOxit on the pickup selector switch and the bass pot.

I see all the constant drama about every new Fender model every 6 months and what it wrong with it or what has poor QC or isn't what people want and it just makes me all the more happy to have the G&L.

It is the guitar I would be last to give up for sure.

I played a HH Doheny at the dealer I bought mine at a few months ago.. not sure if it was the amp I tried it on (Brent Hinds Orange into a Marshall cab) but the overall setup I really didn't like.. it seemed excessively dark. But it could have been the amp. I have an Orange Rocker 15 and my HH guitar (a Reverend) doesn't sound that dark into it. This HH Doheny did not appear to have the MFD Humbuckers though.. they had silver covers.