G&L Doheny

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: G&L Doheny

Post by Deed_Poll » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:33 am

Having read up a bit more on the MFD pickups and with Larry's explanations, I am really starting to see the innovation in these guitars...

The idea of mounting a bridge to exploit the end grain is one I've been thinking about myself lately.

I believe the only G&L guitars I've played have been the "Tribute" imported guitars. We don't seem to get a lot of the American made models in the UK.

I'll keep my eye out for the ASAT Classic in particular.
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 am

Yeah, the Tribute models get good review but I'd never buy one, and haven't liked the ones I've played all that much.

I mentioned how the G&Ls at least back in the day were pretty handmade, with the neck and the body being mated from the very start and such. I'm told but don't know that the process has become more automated since the 90s, who knows, though.

Anyway clearly the Tribute models are just made in some Indonesian factory that makes a lot of guitars under difference marques, cooked from a recipe. They seem like well made guitars but I would have to question how they would be better than anything else that factory makes, you know? I feel the magic and craftsmanship might not quite be there.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:30 am

G&L was one of the first companies to make all their guitars with CNC equipment. I used to hang out on the G&L forum and it was a point of pride.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:37 am

Every so often I get to jonesing for an early ASAT, like this one on Reverb.

I love the black hardware on this one especially.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:48 am

Maggieo wrote:G&L was one of the first companies to make all their guitars with CNC equipment. I used to hang out on the G&L forum and it was a point of pride.
Sure, but when? My understanding is that they went to more CNC and away from the previously more hands on approach in the late 90s/early 2000s or so.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:09 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Maggieo wrote:G&L was one of the first companies to make all their guitars with CNC equipment. I used to hang out on the G&L forum and it was a point of pride.
Sure, but when? My understanding is that they went to more CNC and away from the previously more hands on approach in the late 90s/early 2000s or so.
Post BBE, IIRC.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:13 am

Sure, that fits what I've heard. I don't want to give the impression that these are handcrafted artisanal instruments here, no matter what the era. They were Leo Fender instruments with Leo Fender production techniques. But they were probably made a little more handmade at some point, or maybe just got a little more individual attention to them.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:28 am

From what I'm reading here most, if not all, G&L's I've tried are CNC Tribute Imports.

I live in So Cal. Where is a good store I can go to try a USA made version?

As I mentioned earlier I'm looking for a good Tele & the current Fender line under $2,300.00 didn't impress me enough to take one home. Actually, my Squier CV Tele is as good as any of them. Except it weighs like 9 1/2 lbs. & I want lighter.

IMO the new Squiers & Fender Tele's weren't on par with Gibson & Gretsch quality of fit, finish, attention to detail, playability off the rack. So I ended up buying a new Gibson Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul w/Bigsby.

I still want a Tele & am putting a couple Guitars up for sale that I don't play much anymore to fund it.

If it costs more than $2,300.00 I'm thinking of having one Custom Built & get exactly what I want. Which, the Body would be a super light weight Semi Hollow Offset with F Hole, Maple Neck, traditional Tele Volume, Tone, 3 Way Selector Switch, USA Noiseless Tele Pups & Tremelo.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:46 am

Not sure. In my town, there really aren't a lot of G&L dealers and the one I can think of primarily carries the import line. But if you have a big music store around you then they might have a couple at any given time, that's likely to be unsatisfying for you, all that looking.

If it was me, I'd just by one used, check out the whole G&L thing for a year or so and see how you like it. You can get a used American made model for $700-900 all day long, so why not try one out for a spell? If you don't like it, if you don't see the point of it all then just sell it along, you know? And while G&L will make you a custom guitar with a great number of options possible, there's probably no reason to do that if you aren't certain about if you like the G&L experience.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/pr ... -1996-s189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You know, something like that- and I should mention that 90's G&Ls are particularly strong. That's got the MFD pickups in a standard Telecaster form factor, more common than the Alnico version. So even if it didn't satisfy your every Telecaster need, because it's not a Telecaster, it would still likely be a great playing and useful guitar to have with its own sound (and a good one).

Just a thought.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:50 am

Larsongs wrote: If it costs more than $2,300.00 I'm thinking of having one Custom Built & get exactly what I want. Which, the Body would be a super light weight Semi Hollow Offset with F Hole, Maple Neck, traditional Tele Volume, Tone, 3 Way Selector Switch, USA Noiseless Tele Pups & Tremelo.
Of course, if you want that from G&L, then you'll be looking. For one, they don't do the Fender style volume and tone controls, they have their own "Passive Treble Bass" system:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/tonefiend/ ... p-awesome/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the only noiseless pickups G&L makes are their "Z" coil pickups as on the Comanche above and I can't really speak to them. I think Maggie can, though.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Larry Mal wrote:Not sure. In my town, there really aren't a lot of G&L dealers and the one I can think of primarily carries the import line. But if you have a big music store around you then they might have a couple at any given time, that's likely to be unsatisfying for you, all that looking.

If it was me, I'd just by one used, check out the whole G&L thing for a year or so and see how you like it. You can get a used American made model for $700-900 all day long, so why not try one out for a spell? If you don't like it, if you don't see the point of it all then just sell it along, you know? And while G&L will make you a custom guitar with a great number of options possible, there's probably no reason to do that if you aren't certain about if you like the G&L experience.

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/pr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -1996-s189

You know, something like that- and I should mention that 90's G&Ls are particularly strong. That's got the MFD pickups in a standard Telecaster form factor, more common than the Alnico version. So even if it didn't satisfy your every Telecaster need, because it's not a Telecaster, it would still likely be a great playing and useful guitar to have with its own sound (and a good one).

Just a thought.
That might not be a bad idea to pick up a used one. I'll keep my eyes open for one of these Anti-Satellite Missles!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:08 pm

I wonder if these will be available in the full range of G&L colours. They have some really nice finishes available on all their models as far as I've seen.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Won't they custom make you any guitar you want?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 am

Larry Mal wrote:Won't they custom make you any guitar you want?
For a price, yes.

The Z-Coils are pretty nice- they're one of the few humbucking "single-coils" that actually sound like single coils. They pretty much sound like the other MFD PUPs, except without the noise.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:01 pm

Maggieo wrote:Every so often I get to jonesing for an early ASAT, like this one on Reverb.

I love the black hardware on this one especially.
To hold one of these in person is to really understand how NICE they are. They feel like they were carved out of a piece of granite. Perfect neck profile, great frets, just phenomenal all the way around. All the USA G&Ls I've ever played feel like that, but these early ASATS especially.

I used to have a Tribute semi-hollow ASAT Special, and I will tell you that was a special guitar, too. They still have the same hardware as the USA versions (I think), and it's easy to find one that's just right. I should never have sold it, and now they're pretty hard to find.
Local milk person