NGD AVRI Jazzmaster messed up the finish

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD AVRI Jazzmaster messed up the finish

Post by otis » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:09 am

again...

It's a '13 seemingly in reasonable shape.

The only 'issues' are some scars on the lower bout...

...and a noticable misalignment of the bridge as can be seen here

I had the exact same issue with my costello Jazzmaster, wich I solved by filing out the holes in the bridge plate of a Mastery bridge where the bridge legs are adjusted.
Worked very well, and not noticable cause the adjuster screw covers the widened hole.
I think it's a pitty that a top of the line American Jazzmaster(AVRI) has issues like this, but they're perfectly manageable without having to plug the bridgepost holes and redrill them correctly(also an option if they prove too much out of whack).
These turn up less and less locally, so I bought this one from ebay Germany.
It also seems a rather light one at around 3.4 kg (7.5 lb)
It will probably arrive by the end of next week...
thrilled...
Last edited by otis on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: desire got the better part of me/ new AVRI Jazzmaster

Post by NICQ » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:35 am

Beautiful!

I have exactly the same guitar but from 2014 - great neck and nice overall build quality (cloth wiring etc) ... Weird issue with the bridge placement though

I thought it looked more vintage white than white white so I put a white pg on it instead of the tort

Happy New AVRI day! :)

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:14 am

NICQ wrote:Beautiful!

I have exactly the same guitar but from 2014 - great neck and nice overall build quality (cloth wiring etc) ... Weird issue with the bridge placement though

I thought it looked more vintage white than white white so I put a white pg on it instead of the tort

Happy New AVRI day!
Thanks Nicq; the new AVRI day will be next week, I guess. I'll give some more impressions than.

My first Jazzmaster was also an olymic white AVRI, a very very good one.
This will be my 5th AVRI Jazzmaster (and my third White) after my original one; none of them stayed. I hope this one will have the tone and resonance I'm after.

I noticed the yellowing of the olympic white can go pretty fast. I think it's largely dependent on the amount of sunlight. I got one used from a member here that was very yellow.
It came from a part in the U.S. where there is a lot of sun.
I'm betting this Jazzmaster will be rather white cause it comes from the very North of Germany/ we'll see...

About this strange placement of the bridge; I guess there are times when quality -control is suboptimal. Probably a monday morning or friday late afternoon instrument.
I'm expecting this strange alignment to be solvable with a Mastery bridge as I discribed. I'd put on a Mastery anyway...

Anyone who had similar issues with his or her AVRI Jazzmaster or Jaguar, please chime in...

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:12 am

Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding what the bridge issue is?
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:33 am

Danley wrote:Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding what the bridge issue is?
Look at the last photo of the bridge; the thimble that is visible is on the extreme left side of the bridge-post hole in the pickguard.
Also, the 6th string is aligning on the left side of it's bridge-pickup pole.
On the last photo where you see the whole guitar, you can see the bridge is more to the left of the center.
Also, the 6th string doesn't go in a straight line to the nut; it first goes left towards the bridge and than bends right again, coming very close to the edge of the lower side of the fretboard.
So the bridge is mounted too much to the left.

amv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by amv » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Wasn't the AVRI line discontinued in 2012 for the AV65? A 2013 Jazzmaster in oly white should have a matching headstock and D+B, unless I'm missing something.

Great guitar either way. My AVRI Jag in the same color is second only to AV65.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:17 pm

Yeah the latest this could be is a 2012. They didn't make them in 2013.

I have read quite a few bad stories about AVRI 62 guitars made in the last few years of their production run. Seems QC wasn't very good then.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:22 pm

AMV and Sunburster, you both are right; didn't think about that.
That's the information the seller gave me; I guess he bought it in 2013.

Sunburster, what were those bad stories?
I'll have to wait and see, but I'm hoping this bridge-thimble placement is the only issue I will encounter...

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:23 pm

I have heard of issues with setup, poor neck pockets, and neck issues. It is not a large number of cases. I'm sure most of them are just fine.

Looking at the picture, I don't think the bridge presents a problem. I think if you just moved the string over the right height screw it would be aligned properly.

indiandysummer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by indiandysummer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:40 pm

I owned a black 2008 AVRI JM and also a white 2010. I was super surprised how different they felt! They were nearly 2lb diff in weight (2010 was heavier). The finish on the 2008 was plastic and thick feeling, kinda like poly. The 2010 was thinner and smoother, more satiny but felt more like stickyish "nitro".

Neck shapes seemed the same, but the "feel" was way different. Playing them was about the same, more or less, but they had different bridges and pickups and stuff.

I have a classic player and a '64 l series custom shop JM from 2014. I actually like them both better than the '62 AVRIs I owned, but just personal pref. I would say that the custom shop one is objectively superior in all ways, tho. Probably not a huge surprise there....

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:09 am

otis wrote:Sunburster, what were those bad stories?
One of them was probably mine, which I posted about here in a thread that eventually went something like 22 pages.

Nothing on mine was unfixable, but it came from the factory with both the bridge and pickups screwed all the way down to the body and still had action that was about an inch high. I had to put in three shims to get it playable and raise the pickups and bridge to normal heights.

My bridge was also buzzy as hell and since I don't like using any kind of gunk (I use Loctite on the screws normally, but this bridge had buzzing springs), I ended up just replacing it.

Lastly, a few of my nut slots were way too high and others way too low, which made the guitar really tough to play and simultaneously buzzy at the nut. Nut slots are one of Fender USA's bugaboos in my experience, they rarely get them totally right. At least the ones on my AVRI were basically evenly spaced, so I was able to fix just the height with some fill and a file.

After all that, the guitar is fine. In fact it might be my favorite playing JM that I own now. My bridge wasn't misaligned like yours, though. I think that might have been something I would have had more of a problem with.

Oh also, my neck has no date stamp. Like they just forgot to put one on. Does yours?

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:30 am

spacecadet wrote:
otis wrote:Sunburster, what were those bad stories?
One of them was probably mine, which I posted about here in a thread that eventually went something like 22 pages.

Nothing on mine was unfixable, but it came from the factory with both the bridge and pickups screwed all the way down to the body and still had action that was about an inch high. I had to put in three shims to get it playable and raise the pickups and bridge to normal heights.

My bridge was also buzzy as hell and since I don't like using any kind of gunk (I use Loctite on the screws normally, but this bridge had buzzing springs), I ended up just replacing it.

Lastly, a few of my nut slots were way too high and others way too low, which made the guitar really tough to play and simultaneously buzzy at the nut. Nut slots are one of Fender USA's bugaboos in my experience, they rarely get them totally right. At least the ones on my AVRI were basically evenly spaced, so I was able to fix just the height with some fill and a file.

After all that, the guitar is fine. In fact it might be my favorite playing JM that I own now. My bridge wasn't misaligned like yours, though. I think that might have been something I would have had more of a problem with.

Oh also, my neck has no date stamp. Like they just forgot to put one on. Does yours?
Yes, I thought about your black AVRI and its numberous issues as well. I even tried to find the thread yesterday, but I couldn't.

The bridge-buzzing issues are familiar; the key is to find springs that are long enough, or to switch them between saddles.
On a Mastery too, the springs can produce a buzz, but lesser so if the saddles are steep enough. I'm writing this now, but I guess everything is sorted out by now, 5 years later.

The nuts are indeed a very tricky part on the AVRI's I had. Often they're not deep enough, or too deep, or spaced unevenly. I hope this one is properly cut (interspace seems ok in the pictures).

Every AVRI Jazzmaster I had needed setup work. I can live with that, as long as the fundamentals are ok. I feel that with this uneven bridge, it might get a bit more difficult (I'll need a Mastery and I don't have a spare one at the moment), but after the Mastery is a fact, I could have an ideal setup, just like my Costello has.
In the hands of a first time Jazzmaster owner, or someone who wants the original offset-bridge, this might be a troublesome guitar, and that shouldn't be the case with a Vintage Reissue Fender.

I'll have to wait and see, maybe everything is solved with using another saddle-thread, as Sunburtser suggests...

Anyway, spacecadet, could you point out the thread of your AVRI NGD?

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:36 pm

otis wrote:Anyway, spacecadet, could you point out the thread of your AVRI NGD?
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =6&t=66248

I was a little off in the number of pages I remembered it running. Unfortunately Photobucket nuked all the pics in the thread...

I was thinking some of it might be out of date but it's not really... but it seems like I didn't discover the nut slot issue or the seemingly incurable bridge buzz until later. I was just assuming Loctite would work on the bridge at that point, since it did on my CIJ, but I hadn't tried it yet.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:42 am

sunburster wrote:Yeah the latest this could be is a 2012. They didn't make them in 2013.

I have read quite a few bad stories about AVRI 62 guitars made in the last few years of their production run. Seems QC wasn't very good then.
I ordered a black '62 AVRI from my local mom and pop shop summer of 2010. It finally arrived in early December of that year. In eager anticipation, I opened the box and slid out the case. The shop manager had let it sit in the store because of the cold weather, but he knew I was eager to get it. When I opened up the case I was immediately dismayed because I could tell that the bridge was misaligned, so badly, in fact, that the high E string actually bent around the collet of the tremolo arm in order to rest on the bridge piece, and even that wasn't proper. To keep it from being off the southern part of the neck it had to bend back another couple notches on the bridge piece. It was insanely bad alignment -- the only way it could've lined up properly was for the string to get go directly through the tremolo arm -- absurd. There was no way that a neck adjustment would fix this and I couldn't understand how Fender could've let this leave the factory.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:36 am

To OP: I have exact same guitar and love it. I question whether bridge is mounted wrong. I really think it is the neck that could be loosened and realigned slightly to cure the string alignment issue. As far as the thimbles not matching pickguard cutouts, that's pretty common ime and is more pickguard related than guitar defect. It will be fine ;D !