NGD AVRI Jazzmaster messed up the finish

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
teensupertiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD AVRI Jazzmaster it arrived!

Post by teensupertiger » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:51 am

otis wrote:
teensupertiger wrote: A nut reshaping? What happened to it?
it was weird on the low E, makes wrong notes on the first frets. And was too tighten to allow the strings move when using the trem bar or bending.
i think because you play with 10's and me 11's

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD AVRI Jazzmaster it arrived!

Post by otis » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:12 am

teensupertiger wrote:
otis wrote:
teensupertiger wrote: A nut reshaping? What happened to it?
it was weird on the low E, makes wrong notes on the first frets. And was too tighten to allow the strings move when using the trem bar or bending.
i think because you play with 10's and me 11's
Yeah, I guess this makes sense. I remember i used to have the slots of the nut filed by a friend/ technician when I played 11's.
For the sound I'm after, I grew to appreciate the 'airy' sound of 10's better than the stronger, more percussive 11's character.
I bet your Jazzmaster sounds even fuller with 11's. never heard it like that.

About it's weight, half of the AVRI Jazzmasters I had were 8.6 lb. I think It's not light, but not too heavy either.
The new white one is marginally lighter( 8.4), about the same as my first white AVRI and my first Costello Jazzmaster (that had a twisted neck).
The only considerably lighter AVRI (also a white one) I had had a dead, dull sound whatever I did to it.
I guess 8.4-8.6 lb is the average for AVRI Jazzmasters. My vintage '64 is exactly the same, btw.
So dont pitty the weight/ as far as I experienced they're all like that.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD AVRI Jazzmaster messed up the finish

Post by otis » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 am

ok, yesterday evening I tried to take care of the stains in the nitro clear, and basically I messed it up.
I started with a rubbing compound and as I saw the spots on the front of the guitar slowly fading, I got too enthousiastic and overdid it.
There's a spot where I went through the clear and partly through the white paint. The wood underneat is shining through.
Taking the time to stop, clean up and evaluate seems important; I just never expected to wear through so quickly!
The whole area is also looking less yellow because of the clear thinned out or removed(2 spots).
I'm just so anal about these things; it will keep bugging me forever.
I know it's not really important but I can't seem to help how I feel about this.
I guess it makes this guitar a candidate for a refin.
too bad...

treblemaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by treblemaker » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:28 am

Find a cool sticker, maybe?

frelonvert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frelonvert » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:03 am

"Leave the beautiful women to men with no imagination." ~Marcel Proust
Take care the skons is evrywhere !

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:36 pm

otis wrote:ok, yesterday evening I tried to take care of the stains in the nitro clear, and basically I messed it up.
I started with a rubbing compound and as I saw the spots on the front of the guitar slowly fading, I got too enthousiastic and overdid it.
There's a spot where I went through the clear and partly through the white paint. The wood underneat is shining through.
Taking the time to stop, clean up and evaluate seems important; I just never expected to wear through so quickly!
The whole area is also looking less yellow because of the clear thinned out or removed(2 spots).
I'm just so anal about these things; it will keep bugging me forever.
I know it's not really important but I can't seem to help how I feel about this.
I guess it makes this guitar a candidate for a refin.
too bad...
If it bothers you a lot you should just sell the guitar. A guitar should give you pleasure, not annoy or bug you. Getting a refin is a waste of money and will kill the resale value further.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Sorry about the sand through dude. :(
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:52 pm

Thanks for your reactions guys.
treblemaker wrote:Find a cool sticker, maybe?
I'm not a sticker-man I'm afraid.
frelonvert wrote:"Leave the beautiful women to men with no imagination." ~Marcel Proust
Thanks.
I guess you're right; a guitar is made to play on; I did what I could to minimize this cosmetic imperfection, and I made it worse.
She's got a scar, but it's a very good guitar.

sunburster wrote: If it bothers you a lot you should just sell the guitar. A guitar should give you pleasure, not annoy or bug you. Getting a refin is a waste of money and will kill the resale value further.
True about the resale-value; Rexter told me the same.
The reason I thought about a refin is I decided I'll keep this one.
If I had to choose between the Costello and this one, It 'd be this one.
And would it really be a waste to refin this guitar in a color I'm really fond of? I'm not sure...
That said, I might keep her like she is now.
There's something special about its sound compared to the other AVRI's I had.
This is the most clear, high tones, bell-like sounding one so far. At the same time, the bass-tones are also clearly present.
My Costello and almost all the others I had were less defined, had more mid-tones.
When chording, the notes stand out separately longer before fusing together, more like my '64 does.
I'm curious to compare this AVRI to my '64 acoustically, but I'll have to wait till the '64 comes back from her refin by Rexter.

So I'm keeping this AVRI as she is; refin or not, I'm not decided yet.
I'm certainly not gonna sell her or change bodies or whatever.

A local touch-up would perhaps be another possibility.
If it is doable, it's something I would consider.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:34 am

Wow, it sounds better than your Costello! Okay, in that case, if you're sure this one is for life, a refin might be a good idea. Probably a good idea to give it some time and see if the finish keeps bothering you or not.

A somewhat related story: My AVRI62 has a replacement decal and some dings on it, but it is the best-sound and playing Jazzmaster I've ever found, so I'll never sell it. The decal bothers me some times but I can easily replace that in the future (though it will never be the original one). What I can't do so easily is find another JM that looks, plays and sounds like this one.

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:03 am

Bummer about the damage......

As an alternative to complete refinish, I would probably try to mist on a bit of color in the damaged area. Use Gracey's vintage nitrocellulose Olympic White guitar finish spray can and top with clear nitro. I did this with their surf green awhile back with great results. Nitro finishes "melt" together. Need to be very careful to thoroughly clean surface first(naptha), and allow plenty of curing time (days) before attempting any final wet sanding, etc. Fallback is complete refin of course....good luck!

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:55 am

jdr1014 wrote:Bummer about the damage......

As an alternative to complete refinish, I would probably try to mist on a bit of color in the damaged area. Use Gracey's vintage nitrocellulose Olympic White guitar finish spray can and top with clear nitro. I did this with their surf green awhile back with great results. Nitro finishes "melt" together. Need to be very careful to thoroughly clean surface first(naptha), and allow plenty of curing time (days) before attempting any final wet sanding, etc. Fallback is complete refin of course....good luck!
Thanks.
I think I might look around locally for someone who's done this before.