NGD: Squier J. Mascis Jazmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
tommycarlos
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Squier J. Mascis Jazmaster

Post by tommycarlos » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:03 pm

After all the inspiring threads here on these guitars, I finally went out and got one for myself.

I swapped the gold pickguard for white, and replaced the tremolo with a Golden Age from Stew Mac (the one with the trem-lock).

I couldn't be happier. Thanks to all who posted in the other JMJM threads... especially the mod threads.
Last edited by tommycarlos on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Squier J. Mascis Jazmaster

Post by PixMix » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:15 pm

Really nice! It's amazing how a stark white pickguard makes the body look so yellow/banana pudding. When I had a dark brown tort on mine, it almost looked like pure white. Simultaneous contrast.

tommycarlos
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tommycarlos » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:27 pm

Hah! "Banana Pudding". I have been trying to come up with a way to describe the colour. Love it.

Yeah, I originally planned to get a parchment guard, but thought that might just look too... beige...

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:49 pm

tommycarlos wrote:Hah! "Banana Pudding". I have been trying to come up with a way to describe the colour. Love it.

Yeah, I originally planned to get a parchment guard, but thought that might just look too... beige...
I think white pickguard looks beautiful. It's separating the knobs and pickup covers from the body in a nice way. I like it a lot.

jagstang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jagstang » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:01 am

Wow, looks good!

lunaticjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lunaticjaguar » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:40 am

looks great, who made the pickguard?

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:14 am

Looks great! Congrats. What did you do to get good Action? Do you have amy Links you think were the best at helping you get the best Set Up?

I've been all over the OSG, the WWW, spent $$$ on Set up tools, Shims, Nuts, Bridge & still don't have good Action on mine.

I know it's possible because there are lots of you guys who have got there.

Appreciate any feedback,

Lars

tommycarlos
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tommycarlos » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:45 pm

lunaticjaguar wrote:looks great, who made the pickguard?
I just got it off a local guitar parts place called GuitarAust https://www.guitaraust.com.au/jm-pickguards.html

tommycarlos
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tommycarlos » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Larsongs wrote:Looks great! Congrats. What did you do to get good Action? Do you have amy Links you think were the best at helping you get the best Set Up?

I've been all over the OSG, the WWW, spent $$$ on Set up tools, Shims, Nuts, Bridge & still don't have good Action on mine.

Appreciate any feedback,

Lars
I use a method I found on Youtube that seems to work well so far.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnVuvoj3WXs

A lot of the vids on his channel are super useful (especially the ones on adjusting the truss rod).

For the JMJM, I did height adjustments to the bridge based on the two E strings (though I play in Drop-D), then found I had to lift it ever so slightly to keep it from fretting out on the other strings (I assume due to the mismatch of radius between the AOM and the neck). Then adjusted the pickup height to your standard 1/8" on the bass side and 1/16" on the treble side.

On mine I also had to set up the tremolo's trem-lock properly. The Stew Mac Golden Age tremolo is so worth it though. I always wonder why a lot of the newer Fender offset tremolos are missing the lock? Do people just not break strings on stage any more? hah.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:05 pm

tommycarlos wrote:
Larsongs wrote:Looks great! Congrats. What did you do to get good Action? Do you have amy Links you think were the best at helping you get the best Set Up?

Appreciate any feedback,

Lars
I use a method I found on Youtube that seems to work well so far.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnVuvoj3WXs

A lot of the vids on his channel are super useful (especially the ones on adjusting the truss rod).

For the JMJM, I did height adjustments to the bridge based on the two E strings (though I play in Drop-D), then found I had to lift it ever so slightly to keep it from fretting out on the other strings (I assume due to the mismatch of radius between the AOM and the neck). Then adjusted the pickup height to your standard 1/8" on the bass side and 1/16" on the treble side.

On mine I also had to set up the tremolo's trem-lock properly. The Stew Mac Golden Age tremolo is so worth it though. I always wonder why a lot of the newer Fender offset tremolos are missing the lock? Do people just not break strings on stage any more? hah.
Good YouTube! I'll give it a try. I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Lars
Last edited by Larsongs on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:51 am

PixMix wrote:
tommycarlos wrote:Hah! "Banana Pudding". I have been trying to come up with a way to describe the colour. Love it.

I think white pickguard looks beautiful. It's separating the knobs and pickup covers from the body in a nice way. I like it a lot.

I agree - I usually want to see good tort on OW, but that really looks great!

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:57 am

Larsongs wrote:
tommycarlos wrote:

Appreciate any feedback,

Lars

Thanks,

Lars
I tried the Credit Card Tip. It really works! Simple Easy Fast!

Thanks,

Lars

ciarlatano
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ciarlatano » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:25 am

First - congrats to the OP on a fine looking JMJM!

Appreciate any feedback,

Lars
I have always found the mismatch of fingerboard and bridge radius to be the big stumbling block in getting the action as tight as I like it. I have done two things that made huge differences. One being the bridge change outlined here - http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =7&t=33498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I used this - https://reverb.com/item/1990399-adjusta ... len-wrench" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and it took about fifteen minutes and made a huge difference.

On my current (NGD thread when I finally get it where I want it), I went a different route and put on a Roadhouse Strat neck with a 12" radius. BUT....my current started out as a loaded body with no neck, and I happen to prefer a 12" radius, so obviously this is not the fix for everyone. ;)

Drewbertca
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Drewbertca » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:11 pm

"Larsongs"]
Larsongs wrote:
tommycarlos wrote:

Appreciate any feedback,

Lars"

Thanks,

Lars
I tried the Credit Card Tip. It really works! Simple Easy Fast!

Thanks,

Lars
I used cuttings from a pack if smokes on my Squire JMJM and my PSVI....does the trick.....bad for my health because I smoked the Bullseye cigars but being in Canada I used the best anti smoking propaganda pictures from the packs I gad around for the shims....haha

sirjeremy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sirjeremy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Holy crap, that's crazy how the white Pickguard makes the body look more yellow. Maybe it's also the lighting? It's tripping me out. Looks great though, congrats and enjoy!