Other Bridges for JMJM's

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Other Bridges for JMJM's

Post by Francer » Mon May 22, 2017 11:36 pm

Axolotl wrote:The Wilkinson bridge is the way to go:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Par ... ridge.html

The only drawback is that its radius is 12 while the JMJM neck is 9.5 . It's very easy to shim the outer saddles of this bridge in order to match the radius (use bits of a soda can or bottle cap. I've done it and it works really well. This bridge improves trem action and also takes the sharp edges off the guitar. You can find it on ebay as "wilkinson roller bridge". Shouldn't cost more that $25. A second drawback I almost forgot is that I had to file one of the bridge's holes a bit so it would fit between the posts. No big deal but most people here had to do it IIRC.
Why would you shim the outside saddles of a 12 radius bridge to march a 9.5 board? Unless i'm misunderstanding the effect of shims on this type of bridge (does it lower or raise the string?) sounds like it would make the radius mismatch worse.

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Tue May 23, 2017 2:49 am

^^ Right you are, it wouldn't make any sense. I meant inner saddles. 2 shims for D and G strings, one shim for A and B.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue May 23, 2017 9:15 pm

I took the JMJM to my local Guitar Center Palm Desert, Ca. where I bought it per Fenders recommendation to file a Warranty Claim for the Bridge problem & the Nut not being to factory Spec.

They schmucked me around & turned me over to their repair Tech who said he could rebuild the defective Bridge & File the Nut to the Factory Spec it should've come with. But I have to pay for it.

I said shouldn't a defective Bridge be covered under Warranty on a new Guitar? And shouldn't the Nut be to Factory Spec from the Factory?

They never offered to even try to file a Warranty Claim. Lousy Customer Service. I returned the Guitar.

They lost me.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Tue May 23, 2017 11:17 pm

Larsongs wrote:I returned the Guitar.
I knew this would happen as soon as you said you ordered the guitar. ;) Get a 60s lacquer, those shouldn't need much (if anything) out of the box.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed May 24, 2017 5:28 am

sunburster wrote:
Larsongs wrote:I returned the Guitar.
I knew this would happen as soon as you said you ordered the guitar. Get a 60s lacquer, those shouldn't need much (if anything) out of the box.
I have an AV65 Jazzmaster. I didn't need it but thought it would be cool to have one with P90's. I agree about the Lacquer 60's. Great Guitars.

I may try getting another JMJM but this time from Sweetwater. They inspect the Guitars & do a Set up. I've bought Guitars from them & no problems. Probably should have gone their first.

Lars

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Wed May 24, 2017 5:58 am

wait i'm trying to better understand what was wrong with the stock bridge... are you saying the screw could not let you land the slot in the right place?

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed May 24, 2017 6:37 am

MKR wrote:wait i'm trying to better understand what was wrong with the stock bridge... are you saying the screw could not let you land the slot in the right place?
Something about the way the Bridge was made wouldn't allow 2 of the Screws to move the Saddle smoothly to make perfect intonation adjustment. In other words the Bridge was defective.

It needed a new Bridge or the Tech said he could rebuild it. Both at cost to me. IMO, It was a new Guitar under Warranty & should've been Covered. Same with the Nut that wasn't Factory Spec.

They could've easily taken care of both under Warranty. Instead they, my local GC Store, chose to lose a Customer. They evidently don't need me.

Lars

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Wed May 24, 2017 6:59 am

Larsongs wrote:
MKR wrote:wait i'm trying to better understand what was wrong with the stock bridge... are you saying the screw could not let you land the slot in the right place?
Something about the way the Bridge was made wouldn't allow 2 of the Screws to move the Saddle smoothly to make perfect intonation adjustment. In other words the Bridge was defective.
so was the thread stripped somewhere and they screw would get stuck? not sure what you mean by move smoothly?

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed May 24, 2017 7:44 am

MKR wrote:
Larsongs wrote:
so was the thread stripped somewhere and they screw would get stuck? not sure what you mean by move smoothly?
When I turned the screw the Saddle would move an 1/8" forward or back not smoothly & gradually to dial in perfect intonation. I don't don't know what the Cause was. But it wasn't right. They should've replaced it under Warranty.

Lars

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Wed May 24, 2017 10:13 am

I would've just bought a Wilkinson Bridge and be done with it - 30$ and minimal filing the studs and you'd have had a cool guitar? The stock bridge is not really that great anyways and should be changed (TOM with trem is not ideal) but whatever..

Funny story about this bridge though: I have a Thurston Moore Signature JM that came stock with a Gotoh Tuneomatic - it rattled when playing certain notes and broke the high e string 3 times when using the trem.. when I put the Wilkinson on the JMJM I put the Squier bridge on the Thurston Moore JM and it just worked.. was way better than the stock Gotoh of the 1700$ guitar.. then I bought a Mastery cheap on here, removed the TOM thimbles and installed it on the Thurston Moore.. now 2 years later I think about going back to the Squier JMJM bridge because I think it really had more sustain back then lol

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Wed May 24, 2017 11:16 am

NICQ wrote:I would've just bought a Wilkinson Bridge and be done with it - 30$ and minimal filing the studs and you'd have had a cool guitar? The stock bridge is not really that great anyways and should be changed (TOM with trem is not ideal) but whatever..

Funny story about this bridge though: I have a Thurston Moore Signature JM that came stock with a Gotoh Tuneomatic - it rattled when playing certain notes and broke the high e string 3 times when using the trem.. when I put the Wilkinson on the JMJM I put the Squier bridge on the Thurston Moore JM and it just worked.. was way better than the stock Gotoh of the 1700$ guitar.. then I bought a Mastery cheap on here, removed the TOM thimbles and installed it on the Thurston Moore.. now 2 years later I think about going back to the Squier JMJM bridge because I think it really had more sustain back then lol
Besides the Bridge there was a Nut issue. Besides that the Guy was a complete Ass. I felt like telling him that's where he should shove the Guitar.

(Not an endorsement but I've had good luck with Sweetwater on previous purchases.) I've worked a deal almost as good with Sweetwater. Except Sweetwater does a 55 Point Inspection & Set up prior to delivery. It's worth a couple more Bucks.

Lars

Video of Sweetwaters 55 Point Inspection
https://youtu.be/t6XiMWGg2ao" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri May 26, 2017 2:55 pm

I was thinking about that JMJM & realized I liked those Duncan P90 Pickups.

So, still thinking about it, I went ahead & ordered one from Sweetwater. It cost a few bucks more but they at least they do some kind of 55 point inspection on them before they sell them. I've done a lot of business with them over the years & they have Xlnt Customer Service. The 1 time I had a problem with a Guitar I purchased they took care of it, quick, easy & no hassle. They do stand behind the Warranty's & have indefinite Tech Support. Hope this time I get a good one.

Lars

ciarlatano
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ciarlatano » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:31 am

Gavanti wrote:I had a Stang-O-Matic on mine and shimmed the outer two saddles with folded aluminum foil to create 9.5" radius. It took me maybe 20 minutes of work, and it's cheap. I think I added some shorter saddle screws on those two saddles also to keep the screws from angling up into the strings and some loctite to prevent screw travel once I had everything intonated. I had a WIlkinson roller on another guitar and liked it fine.

Brilliant! I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate this post. After swapping out to a Warmoth conversion neck with a 10-16" compound radius, I've been pulling my hair out trying to find the right bridge. I don't like floating bridges, and couldn't find a TOM with individually adjustable saddle heights that would work for me, so I was about to settle on the 14" radius Wilkinson roller. I saw this and immediately ordered a modified Mustang bridge, which should be absolutely perfect for my needs. Big thanks for pointing this out.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:06 pm

You can buy a brand new staytrem shipped to yr door for less than $75 US right now. Incredible time to take advantage of exchange rates

Coldacre
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Coldacre » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:38 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:You can buy a brand new staytrem shipped to yr door for less than $75 US right now. Incredible time to take advantage of exchange rates
they discontinued the one that drops right onto the JMJM's posts, about a year ago.