Should I refinish?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
jrkirkish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Should I refinish?

Post by jrkirkish » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:00 pm

Well, I finally got my Swinger the other day. I am extremely happy with it, and it feels real good while playing.

Only problem is that the finish is pretty beat up. Cracks in the polyurethane, chips in the paint etc etc... And remember, it's not the 'good' kind of relicing, because the finish is poly.

So should I refinish my swinger? I'm thinking Sherwood green from reranch. I definately want to go nitro on the refinish, because I'd like it to age gracefully.

And anyway, I bought the swinger as a project. Don't get me wrong, it's all complete and plays quite well. It's just that there's some corrosion on the bridge and control plate.

Arrrgh. I don't know what to do.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Should I refinish?

Post by blacktiger » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:00 pm

I would never refinish an original finish, no matter how beat it was, but I'm a traditionalist.  It's your guitar, so do whatever makes you happiest.
Thread killer

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:37 pm

If the finish is the point where large parts of the wood are left unprotected, I would say a refin is in order.  If it's really coming apart, then a refin is order too.  Normally I would say grab a refin but with a Swinger you don't have too many options since you don't exactly find those just laying around.  Use your best judgement as to whether the guitar needs it.  If the finish is in very poor condition anyway, it won't really hurt your resale value that much....are we collectors or are we men(who play guitar)?
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:16 pm

can you post pics?
Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.

jrkirkish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jrkirkish » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:57 pm

Marc wrote: can you post pics?
In due time, in due time....

My sister is the only one with a digi cam in my house, and she's away at school. She'll be back next week, so I'll get some pics out then.

regimentle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by regimentle » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:04 am

Don't refinish.  Even though it's about what makes you happy you need to remember that even if this is a "never gonna part with it" guitar, you still might have to someday.  Swingers are in such weird demand that a refin will probably get you 1/3rd of what an original will, even if beat up.

Sherwood green would look incredible though.

jrkirkish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jrkirkish » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:50 am

regimentle wrote:

Well then there's only one solution.

Build a clone of my swinger, and paint it sherwood green.

muh-ha-ha-ha*evil laugh*
Last edited by jrkirkish on Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ahahah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ahahah » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:59 am

jrkirkish wrote:
regimentle wrote:

Well then there's only one solution.

Build a clone of my swinger, and paint it sherwood green.

muh-ha-ha-ha*evil laugh*
I quite like the evil laugh... 8)

1) Every single part (I mean pickup, plates, knobs and bridge) is readily available at (almost) any serious store.

2) Any luthier would make a perfect copy of the neck and body, given you'll provide an original model.

3) 99.8 times out of 100, I'm part of the "don't-refinish-a-vintage-model-you-fool" Club. When it comes to a Swinger, I volunteer for a step forward and pay an extra fee allowing to the missing .2 times out 100.

As someone said earlier, after all, it's your guitar, do whatever you want with it... But be sure that's useless to seek for spotless mint vintage unless you're running on $billions : honestly priced vintage guitars have been played and were not meant to stay for years in thei cases... Your guitar is a player, keep it so ! 

jrkirkish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jrkirkish » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:00 pm

I quite like the evil laugh... 8)

1) Every single part (I mean pickup, plates, knobs and bridge) is readily available at (almost) any serious store.

2) Any luthier would make a perfect copy of the neck and body, given you'll provide an original model.

3) 99.8 times out of 100, I'm part of the "don't-refinish-a-vintage-model-you-fool" Club. When it comes to a Swinger, I volunteer for a step forward and pay an extra fee allowing to the missing .2 times out 100.

As someone said earlier, after all, it's your guitar, do whatever you want with it... But be sure that's useless to seek for spotless mint vintage unless you're running on $billions : honestly priced vintage guitars have been played and were not meant to stay for years in thei cases... Your guitar is a player, keep it so ! 
I'd be more than willing to let a luthier borrow my swinger for a week or two so that he could make some patterns. Do you have somebody in mind that would be able to clone the swinger?

I know a guy in Canada, a woodworker, that builds guitars from scratch as a hobby. If you'd like, I could ask him if he would be able to take on the cloneing job. So if you want a clone swinger, start saving up $3-400 USD so you could pay the guy when he's finished.

mJet PMed me the other week asking if he could have a tracing of the Swinger. I'm ready to do that after the holidays this year. But if you would take the swinger to a luthrier, borrowing it from me, you could possibly get a plywood template. Tha'd be cool if you have a pin router - you could make literally hundreds of Swinger bodies :D

Ahahah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ahahah » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:12 am

jrkirkish wrote: I'd be more than willing to let a luthier borrow my swinger for a week or two so that he could make some patterns. Do you have somebody in mind that would be able to clone the swinger?
I have somebody in mind yeah... But it won't be of any help : I live in Europe...
I'm quite sure looking around in the local canadian Yellow Pages can give you an answer. Cross check with a google (no affiliation or owned shares) when you've got the names : I can't believe there is no-one in Canada able to copy any guitar at all... You've got great luthiers in your country, take advantage of it !

The only trouble with luthiers is that they usually disagree to copy Fenders (fear of patent infrigement) : but the Swinger is so rare, I'm quite sure the patents rights have long gone (in case there were any patents on this particular guitar, I seriously doubt it). The arrow headstock for sure wasn't patented.

Check around...  ;) 

cereal
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cereal » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:05 pm

don't refinish.  if you ever need to sell it, you'll have cost yourself a pile of money.  plus, old and played guitars that don't look old and played are weird, don't you think?  like a 68 year old grandma with too much plastic surgery...

jrkirkish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jrkirkish » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:56 pm

Well, I've decided not to refin.

But I am thinking about buffing it out with some serious polishing compound, to bring back the mirror finish. Does anyone object to this?