Why did Staytrem discontinue the adjustomatic drop in?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Why did Staytrem discontinue the adjustomatic drop in?

Post by RIORIO » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:47 pm

I'm quite sad that they aren't in production. I'm desperately searching for one :'(

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:01 pm

Sounds like it's more of a drop-out than a drop-in now... yuk-yuk-yuk :P

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:08 pm

RIORIO wrote:I'm quite sad that they aren't in production. I'm desperately searching for one
Why? If your bridge is fixed, a roller bridge is a far better choice in terms of trem function. If you want a fixed bridge with a matched radius, a Mustang bridge and a drill (as per the method posted on the forum) will get you identical function to the staytrem AOM "drop in", for cheap.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

GunnerWatson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GunnerWatson » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:28 am

I see these types of Staytrems pop up on Reverb.com about once a month. I really don't know why Fender continues to make the Classic Player Jazzmaster, the 60s Jazzmaster (Roadworn and Lacquer) totally kills it. Of course, everyone bonds with instruments differently...

As for the AOM bridge on the Squier J. Mascis, I think it works perfectly fine. It seems to be a fitting combination with the super jumbo frets and chunky neck. Plus, it's good enough for Tame Impala's Kevin Parker!

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harmoncj » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:34 am

GunnerWatson wrote:Plus, it's good enough for Tame Impala's Kevin Parker!
FWIW last time I checked mascis's own jazz masters are outfitted with the same style bridge as JMJM so...

My complaint is the blunt knife edge. I suspect my strings would last a little longer but that's not an issue for rock stars

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by salty » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:27 am

Harmoncj wrote:
GunnerWatson wrote:Plus, it's good enough for Tame Impala's Kevin Parker!
FWIW last time I checked mascis's own jazz masters are outfitted with the same style bridge as JMJM so...

My complaint is the blunt knife edge. I suspect my strings would last a little longer but that's not an issue for rock stars

Well, being a Dinosaur Jr fan, I can tell you that Masc is is not a super heavy trem user which probably make the bridge more acceptable for his use. I think that bridge becomes more of a problem if you really go to town on the trem.

brucer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brucer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:17 pm

My luthier said that there was no reason a well-set-up AOM wouldn't work for a Jazzmaster. The key - as he put it - is properly notched, well-intonated and smooth saddles. He was right, but I still replaced it with a Staytrem. Couldn't help myself. Maybe you can't either, but some expert/well-paid attention to the saddles would be a good start.
Blank.

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RIORIO » Tue May 02, 2017 11:08 am

I found a staytrem + classic player thimbles on reverb and pulled the trigger. I just hate the way the AOM feels under my hand. Mine is actually setup quite nicely but I really love Staytrem stuff. Was looking for the AOM drop in but this will have to do...rare as hens teeth nowadays!

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed May 03, 2017 1:17 am

yeah it's straight up dumb as hell to me that they don't even make the conversion thimbles anymore. Like, that way you're still getting your bridge in the hands of people who want it but you're also incentivizing them to go with your thing over anybody else's because you're making it easy for them to switch the bridge out.

bummer.

phutyle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by phutyle » Wed May 03, 2017 3:10 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:yeah it's straight up dumb as hell to me that they don't even make the conversion thimbles anymore. Like, that way you're still getting your bridge in the hands of people who want it but you're also incentivizing them to go with your thing over anybody else's because you're making it easy for them to switch the bridge out.
I have the Staytrem bridge on my Bass VI (and love it), and want one on my SQJMJM, but I find some of their business practices a bit odd. Like the way they take their whole website down over Christmas or when they take time off. You would think they'd just leave the site up (maybe put a note on it saying that there will be some delay) and let people place their orders, and then deal with them when they come back. In taking the whole site down, potential customers can't even read about the products on the site. As you say, whatever about the added complication of supporting the AOM conversion bridge, you would think that the conversion thimbles would be a manageable product to support - then people could just use the regular Staytrem bridge. Win win.

El Pelo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pelo » Wed May 03, 2017 6:08 am

Would love to buy a drop in Staytrem bridge for my classic player right now. I really don't understand how there can't be a market for these?

Staytrem if you're reading...please bring back the drop in bridge for the tuno-o-matic guitars.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed May 03, 2017 12:07 pm

??? ^^^ Did none of you bother to read the response from Staytrem pasted into this very thread?

They already have more demand for their products than they can handle and limited manufacturing capacity as it is - hence they stop selling all products from time to time to clear the backlog of orders.

If it's such a no brainer you much smarter businessmen should set up your own tooling/manufacturing to rake in those undoubtedly massive profits from that tiny, low-cost, low-margin, niche (within another niche) item. ::)

I prefer Larry's response though.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Azentzvox
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Azentzvox » Sat May 04, 2019 8:47 am

Hey if anyone is interested I work in the metal world and made my own conversion thimbles for my AOM CP Jazzmaster. Would be happy to help out other folks

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 pm

There's also the simple 'conversion' ... cup-bottom grub screws inserted upside-down into the existing AOM bushings (taken out for insertion using the screw trick). Gives you a base for any rocking bridge. Or drill out the posts on a rocking bridge and sit it on top of the AOM screw posts. Or a roller TOM (with excenter bushings to adjust post spacing if necessary).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Sat May 04, 2019 9:25 pm

timtam wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 pm
There's also the simple 'conversion' ... cup-bottom grub screws inserted upside-down into the existing AOM bushings (taken out for insertion using the screw trick). Gives you a base for any rocking bridge. Or drill out the posts on a rocking bridge and sit it on top of the AOM screw posts. Or a roller TOM (with excenter bushings to adjust post spacing if necessary).
I have one guitar that I took the posts off of an American Pro bridge and drilled out the holes. There's a bit of a gotcha with this. The posts will easily come off the cheaper bridges, but removing the posts from the American Pro can cause the baseplate metal to bend - or at least it did in my case. I can't say for sure this causes any problems, but I don't think I'm getting as solid of a metal-to-metal contact because of it. Additionally, there's not really a "home position" for the bridge, as it leans forward slightly on the AOM posts and this lean kinda varies with tremolo use.

By contrast, I really thought the Staytrem model that I bought in 2018 was a genius design - I ended up getting two of them. You put these threaded screws in the existing AOM holes, then the bridge pivots on a rounded lip that sticks up from those screws. Zero tuning issues and a lot of vibration transferred to the body.