Any Talman love around here?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
hardtail01
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any Talman love around here?

Post by hardtail01 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:18 pm

I have an older TC420 that I really like.

I don't care for the new ones.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:32 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:whats the neck profile/depth on these? say compared to fender's modern c?
On my '94 TC530 the neck is definitely thicker and rounder. It's really similar to the Fender "thick C" I have on one of the teles.

Spitshaded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Spitshaded » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:43 am

I have 2 of them from the 90s. The orange creamcicle one with 3 lipsticks & one with 2 p90s in raspberry metallic (burgundy mist). I love them & they're some of my favorite guitars. Super comfortable & the necks are amazing. I was really happy to see them making Talmans again, but part of me is a little bummed that they chose to make them into Talman-shaped Strats & Teles. Those options would still be cool, but part of the appeal to me back then was that they had unique pickups & finishes.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:13 am

Spitshaded wrote:I have 2 of them from the 90s. The orange creamcicle one with 3 lipsticks & one with 2 p90s in raspberry metallic (burgundy mist). I love them & they're some of my favorite guitars. Super comfortable & the necks are amazing. I was really happy to see them making Talmans again, but part of me is a little bummed that they chose to make them into Talman-shaped Strats & Teles. Those options would still be cool, but part of the appeal to me back then was that they had unique pickups & finishes.
Wow! I never saw another creamsicle Talman!

The old ones were definitely unique - lipsticks, humbucker, P-90, Bigsby, strat trem, tons of finishes. There were even the ones with the firebird pickups and the slightly longer lower horn. Ahhh, good times - back when they were heavily marketing to the "alternative" crowd. Was super disappointed to see the new ones are basically strat or tele. :k So bland.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

caldera
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by caldera » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:52 pm

stirange wrote:I haven't been hanging about for too long, but i've noticed that few bring up the recently re-released Ibanez Talmans. I've always wanted a tele, butI have always found the body uncomfortable. The Talman Prestige looks like the best of both worlds. Anyone have any thoughts on or own one of these beauts? The middle pickup looks killer. A tele and pseudo-strat in one?

That looks really cool. A Nashville tele in a comfortable body and with a modern radius is a good combination. Like that it has the 6-saddle bridge too.

What's the extra knob for?

Spitshaded
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Spitshaded » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:34 am

kosmonautmayhem wrote:
Spitshaded wrote:I have 2 of them from the 90s. The orange creamcicle one with 3 lipsticks & one with 2 p90s in raspberry metallic (burgundy mist). I love them & they're some of my favorite guitars. Super comfortable & the necks are amazing. I was really happy to see them making Talmans again, but part of me is a little bummed that they chose to make them into Talman-shaped Strats & Teles. Those options would still be cool, but part of the appeal to me back then was that they had unique pickups & finishes.
Wow! I never saw another creamsicle Talman!

The old ones were definitely unique - lipsticks, humbucker, P-90, Bigsby, strat trem, tons of finishes. There were even the ones with the firebird pickups and the slightly longer lower horn. Ahhh, good times - back when they were heavily marketing to the "alternative" crowd. Was super disappointed to see the new ones are basically strat or tele. So bland.
Yeah, I've seen other creamcicles before, but mine is the only one I've seen in person. I've seen a few of those blue-bursts though, which are really cool. I loved the "TV" model Talmans too. They always felt like a cool mashup of a Tele & a Mosrite to me. They still make those as the Noodles signature model I think. I hope that Ibanez starts making more options on these new ones.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:49 am

Those TV models are super cool. I've even seen a semi-hollow model (might not be a TV) that had a partial wood top?

stirange
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by stirange » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:39 pm

caldera wrote:
stirange wrote:I haven't been hanging about for too long, but i've noticed that few bring up the recently re-released Ibanez Talmans. I've always wanted a tele, butI have always found the body uncomfortable. The Talman Prestige looks like the best of both worlds. Anyone have any thoughts on or own one of these beauts? The middle pickup looks killer. A tele and pseudo-strat in one?

That looks really cool. A Nashville tele in a comfortable body and with a modern radius is a good combination. Like that it has the 6-saddle bridge too.

What's the extra knob for?

The knob is an independent volume control for the middle pickup so that you can use it at whatever volume or combination you like! Freaking cool!

WonderCouncil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WonderCouncil » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:39 pm

kosmonautmayhem wrote:Those TV models are super cool. I've even seen a semi-hollow model (might not be a TV) that had a partial wood top?
That would be the TC730! I came really close to buying one a few years ago but passed since I'd never played any Talman's and wasn't sure how I'd bond with the neck. But yeah, hands down the sexiest one of the bunch, in my opinion.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:42 am

Here's some Talman love for the US members on the 4th of July and/or an early Bastille day greeting to the French members. Or a late Canada day if you ignore the blue one.

Doug
@dpcannafax

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:44 pm

That TC730 is :?

and the white one with the Mustang trem! Did you do that mod yourself? It actually really works aesthetically. 8)

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:13 pm

kosmonautmayhem wrote:and the white one with the Mustang trem! Did you do that mod yourself? It actually really works aesthetically.
Thanks! I did do the mods, it started out as the tele version reissue (like the one a few posts up) that I got a great deal on. I'll do a thread on it soon.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:02 am

One of the first offsets I ever got to play or lusted after was a brand new TC630 in 1995. It was the 3 single coil (Lipsticks) version with the older Mustang-stylized-2 point vibrato on it.

I almost bought a burgundy mist metallic dual P-90 model that was similar in 2000 as a backup for my Jag-Stang, chickened out because I'd just finished getting hte Jag-Stang a few months before.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:29 am

i love talmans. one of the few ibanez guitars i actually want to own. i used to own the NDM1 (noodles from the offspring signature) but i sold that years ago.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Mind Flayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mind Flayer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm

I have a mid 90s japanese talman, the p-90 version that came in a blue finish with a white pearl pickguard. I think it's the same one pictured above with the three guitars in red white and blue.

It's a great guitar. Pickups sound good, and the neck is one of the most comfortable i have played. It was my first good guitar and i played a lot of gigs with it in college. It's one of my keepers that i'll never let go.

I didn't like the blue finish, so i repainted the body and headstock in a sort of cream color from reranch. Can't remember the name, but it's sort of a banana cream color.

Thinking of getting a custom red tort guard cut for it.

Lost the trem arm years ago. Also need to rewire the pickups because when i painted it i must have screwed up the wiring. Thinking about making it into my downtuned open tuning fingerpicking guitar.