Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Squareball
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster

Post by Squareball » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:51 am

So basically there are only minimal differences between the SQJMJM and the SQDJM ?
The Deluxe is so tempting especially at around £140 cheaper than the J Mascis in the UK. And cheaper than the VMJM.
I bet the price goes up in a couple of months, though.
GAS!
May the Fuzz be with you

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:38 am

Squareball wrote:So basically there are only minimal differences between the SQJMJM and the SQDJM ?
The Deluxe is so tempting especially at around £140 cheaper than the J Mascis in the UK. And cheaper than the VMJM.
I bet the price goes up in a couple of months, though.
GAS!
Where are you located that they are priced cheaper than VMJM's?

In the US the Hard Tail is $399.00 US & the Trem model is $449.00 US (same as a JMJM)

Lars

phutyle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by phutyle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:30 am

Larsongs wrote: Where are you located that they are priced cheaper than VMJM's?

In the US the Hard Tail is $399.00 US & the Trem model is $449.00 US (same as a JMJM)

Lars
Thomann in Europe has both the trem and hard tail Deluxe versions for €411

the VM is €419, and the JMJM is €555

comparison page:

Code: Select all

https://www.thomann.de/ie/search_compare.html?art[]=269129&art[]=290077&art[]=404842&pc=cb&art[]=404841
(I had to put that in a code tag, because the block brackets in the URL weren't playing nice with the URL tag.)

Squareball
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squareball » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:32 am

Lars
In England at Andertons....(no affiliation)
Deluxe:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/030310150 ... -apple-red

VMJM:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/030210050 ... mpic-white

JMJM:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/030106054 ... tage-white

cheers, Andy.
May the Fuzz be with you

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Squareball wrote:

Lars
In England at Andertons....(no affiliation)
Deluxe:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/030310150 ... -apple-red

VMJM:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/030210050 ... mpic-white

JMJM:
https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/030106054 ... tage-white

cheers, Andy.
No brainer where to buy your Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster with Tremelo if you're in Europe!!!!!!!

Lars

jonobolton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonobolton » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:27 pm

I bought my Deluxe in Kenny's Music in Scotland, and the prices for the Deluxe, VMJM and JMJM are the same as Andertons. Those seem to be the standard prices throughout the U.K.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:50 pm

jonobolton wrote:I bought my Deluxe in Kenny's Music in Scotland, and the prices for the Deluxe, VMJM and JMJM are the same as Andertons. Those seem to be the standard prices throughout the U.K.
Congrats! What do you think of it? How would you rate it compared to other JM's?

ciarlatano
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ciarlatano » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:57 am

Larsongs wrote:
indiandysummer wrote:Lars, I think your Fender rep was misinformed, and/or you mixed up some features.

If you look at the photos of the deluxe JM, it DEFINITELY has a adjustomatic (TOM), just like the mascis. Neither guitar has a standard JM bridge / "vintage" style trem. They both have the moved trem plate like classic player, and TOM/adjustomatic bridges.

Also, the mascis is listed as having a "gloss urethane" neck on fender's website, but I remember the one I played having a very smooth satin finish.

Fender's website says the nut width of J. Mascis is 42.5mm. and DLX JM is 43mm. This is reverse what you said.

Just pointing out some more oddities. Why is this such a mystery? This doesn't really help solve the question of fret size either. C'mon Fender...
I just spoke to another Rep at Fender. Here's what he said.

Firstly, The Nut width was my typo error. Everything is the same on both Guitars with the exceptions listed below, Here are the corrected Specs per my most recent conversation.

Thanks,

Lars

JMJM
42.5mm Nut
Jumbo Frets
Gloss-Urethane Neck
Same Trem
Strings .010

Dlx JM
43mm Nut
Med Jumbo Frets
Poly-Urethane Neck (he said it's smoother than JMJM)
Same Trem
Strings .090
I had the JMJM, and my neck was satin finish, not gloss urethane. Maybe they changed it in the last 18 months?

guitar2be
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by guitar2be » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:25 am

Haha, I'm just more confused than i was before these specs.. :fp: so.. I was thinking that it isn't quite necessary that jmjm and deluxe have the same neck, according to these sources the two necks are also finished differently, so the deluxe necks maybe aren't the mascis leftover necks like some people stated... I also read somewhere else that the mascis has a thicker neck shape. So the neck on the deluxe might just be something like a Vintage Mod neck with a different finish, well I don't know what to believe anymore :D

jonobolton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonobolton » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:50 am

guitar2be wrote:Haha, I'm just more confused than i was before these specs.. so.. I was thinking that it isn't quite necessary that jmjm and deluxe have the same neck, according to these sources the two necks are also finished differently, so the deluxe necks maybe aren't the mascis leftover necks like some people stated... I also read somewhere else that the mascis has a thicker neck shape. So the neck on the deluxe might just be something like a Vintage Mod neck with a different finish, well I don't know what to believe anymore

It's a JMJM neck. I feel like I'm going crazy here; I've got the Deluxe and compared it to the JMJM when I bought it. They're the same guitar. Same radius. Same profile. Same satin neck. I've posted this several time throughout the thread. Fender staff will just read off the spec sheet, especially for the "lesser" models. Go out and try the two of you can.

Hellopike
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hellopike » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:39 am

Hey all,

Just reading this thread and I noticed some confusion with the fretsize on the JMJM and the Deluxe JM and what the fender reps/spec sheet say. I just wanted to say while generallys helpful the fender reps are just reading off a spec sheet in a spreadsheet and that spreadsheet can have errors. Case in point I have an FSR Telecaster in silverburst, it was released alongside a copper burst version at the same time. The copper version had a vintage 3-saddle bridge and the silver version shipped with a modern 6-saddle bridge. But according to the spec sheet, both colors had the vintage bridge. so if they can make an error that mixes bridge styles up, they certainly could make a typo in regards to fret size. Just my two cents.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Seems like Fender should have correct info on the new Guitars they make & Sell.

They do with new Cars. Each one comes with a Spec Sheet right on the Window. Why not Fender Guitars. They certainly aren't more complex.

Lars

guitar2be
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by guitar2be » Thu May 04, 2017 1:59 am

I wrote to thomann and asked if they can compare the mascis and the deluxe, especially the neck (profile, frets), and they said that they see no difference :) so i said what the hell and decided to go for the Deluxe. I also plan to change the pickguard for the brown tort, the covers for some white ones and some witch hat knobs, will post some pictures after i do the mods ;D

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu May 04, 2017 8:40 am

guitar2be wrote:I wrote to thomann and asked if they can compare the mascis and the deluxe, especially the neck (profile, frets), and they said that they see no difference so i said what the hell and decided to go for the Deluxe. I also plan to change the pickguard for the brown tort, the covers for some white ones and some witch hat knobs, will post some pictures after i do the mods
Congrat's! Look forward to seeing Pics!

Was it one of the Sales guys? Where did he get his information? Did they measure the Neck? The Neck finish is the same on both? Did he say the Pickups are the same too?

Thanks,

Lars

guitar2be
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by guitar2be » Thu May 04, 2017 9:52 am

Larsongs wrote:
guitar2be wrote:I wrote to thomann and asked if they can compare the mascis and the deluxe, especially the neck (profile, frets), and they said that they see no difference so i said what the hell and decided to go for the Deluxe. I also plan to change the pickguard for the brown tort, the covers for some white ones and some witch hat knobs, will post some pictures after i do the mods
Congrat's! Look forward to seeing Pics!

Was it one of the Sales guys? Where did he get his information? Did they measure the Neck? The Neck finish is the same on both? Did he say the Pickups are the same too?

Thanks,

Lars
It was one of the Thomann guitar techs/sales person. I asked if they could compare the two guitars, not just by specs, but in real life. He then replied, that him and one of his co-workers tested out both and couldn't find any difference, and that "both guitars have identical necks and frets". I only specifically asked for the neck comparison, but I can't say if they measured them or not.